[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do Christians say we go when we die

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 1498280519217.jpg (3MB, 2242x3433px) Image search: [Google]
1498280519217.jpg
3MB, 2242x3433px
This is more of a philosophy question I suppose but I couldn't really think of a more appropriate board to ask this question / start a discussion.

I've read and am yet to find a consensus and wonder if I am missing something, some sources claim that when you die you enter soul sleep until you are resurrected on the return of the messiah, others state that we go immediately to heaven.

Both sides seem to use various passages in the bible to justify their view and I am leaning towards the option where we immediately go to heaven but am wondering what is the catholic / orthodox consensus on this issue? It seems the evangelical side are the people who state that we enter soul sleep.

Can someone who has an educational background in this give me a clearer answer? I am not after personal views I am after consensus.
>>
File: 1484025660056.jpg (17KB, 545x545px) Image search: [Google]
1484025660056.jpg
17KB, 545x545px
>>
File: 1500390165062.jpg (196KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1500390165062.jpg
196KB, 900x900px
>>3246983

I'm just asking a simple question that should have a pretty clear answer but it doesn't seem to.
>>
>& Humanities
>>
>>3247047
I'm honestly not even religious, but it seems to me the only source you should be getting your info from would be the Bible. Dante's divine comedy is more of a medieval fanfic so you can't really go off of that either. As far as the Bible is concerned, hell is only a pit of fire that burns eternally. I don't actually know what it says about heaven, but seeing as how the whole thing is hyperbole I'd hazard a guess that it's not very descriptive about it if it ever describes it directly at all. Sorry I could be more helpful than that
>>
>>3247229

Thanks anyway, a quick google search shows people interpreting things very differently, I would've thought that on an issue like this there would be a much broader consensus.
>>
>>3247293
The Bible in general is pretty vague on things like that, and I'm sure that's by design. Leaves it up to your imagination so every individual can form their own ideal scenario rather than explicitly describing something that may not appeal to absolutely everyone
>>
>>3247448
By which I mean if you are look for such a consensus, there's a good chance it was never meant to be found. Or if you choose to look at it from a theological perspective, you could take it to mean that it isn't something you could comprehend anyway. A deist may tell you that it means that the afterlife is essentially whatever you wanted it to be. Just depends on how you want to look at it
>>
>>3247472

So it is not taught at all to people what they "should" believe comes after death? The Catholic or Orthodox churches do not have a mantra so to speak as I am sure they are asked this question a lot by their clergy especially when someone dies.
>>
>>3247484
I went to church as a kid. At least for Lutheran's, the answer is "you go with god in heaven" and that's all that is said. More specific than that I doubt there is a consensus on.
>>
>>3247514

Maybe I'm being an autist about it, might go into my local catholic church and ask the vicar / cannon if he's around.
>>
>>3246974
>Where do Christians say we go when we die
My guess is a big castle.
>>
File: 1492527827848.jpg (25KB, 462x480px) Image search: [Google]
1492527827848.jpg
25KB, 462x480px
>>3247627
>>
>>3246974
According to Catholics you go to heaven, and the physical resurrection comes latter.

I dont know what the orthodox believe
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.