[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arabian/Muslim Succession

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (70KB, 570x352px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 570x352px
I know I'm generalizing a lot of loosely related groups here, but how do Arab/Muslim/Turkish/General Middle Eastern monarchies decide who succeeds the current Monarch? It seems like these countries on average have better Kings, and I assume it would be due to having different succession rules than direct male primogeniture.
>>
Turks: All sons of the sultan kill each others until only one is left alive (exile is possible in some cases)

Saudi Arabia: Throne goes from dead king to his next oldest brother and so on. At some point a man from the younger generation overthrows the last brother and then it starts again.

Qatar: Son overthrow his father forcefully.

Oman: Sultan doesn't pick an heir. Realm falls to civil war when he dies until some strongman emerges.

Jordan/Morocco: like the French monarchy.
>>
>>3239249
>It seems like these countries on average have better Kings

Aside from the ottomans and maybe the Mughals it's really not the case. Muslim monarchies tend to lack the institutional frameworks that Western monarchies have that allow the latter to survive mediocre kings. They are inherently unstable.
>>
>>3239304
the modern arab monarchies have been more stable than the republics though
>>
>>3239431
That certainly has nothing to do with factors external to their systems of succession/governance, right?
>>
>>3239431
They were better at picking allies.
>>
>>3239431
Because they suck American cock
>>
>>3239249
Random fact: the man on the right comes from a line of father's who's mother's were African concubines.
>>
>>3239992
Whoops I mean left.
>>
>>3239249
Saudi Arabia sometimes follows seniority, that is the next oldest male relative of the head family tends to succeed. But really the ruler picks his heir and there may or may not be a family council who approves/opposes the choice.

Medieval Turksish lords used an appenage system not that different from Norman laws where children get parts of their father's inheritance and one child or surviving brother becomes recognized as the new family patriarch to which the others either show deference or allegiance.
>>
>>3239249There is no such thing as "Muslim" succession as Islam covers to large an area with to many different cultures to count as a single culture.
In Arab culture succession typically involves the oldest male relative (usually a brother) taking the throne.
In the Turkic Ottoman Empire succession was essentially a free-for-all among the sons of the current ruler where they killed each other off till the last son standing got the throne much like their steppe nomad ancestors.
The thing to remember though is that as with monarchies anywhere in the world whether they be France or England or China or Arabia everyone wants to be the Big-Cheese and few will let things like tradition, law or precedent get in their way. Mark Twain perhaps said it best as "The throne belongs to the man with the smallest claim and the largest army."
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.