[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being European, I want to learn casually about Robert Lee and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: item_2907_1.jpg (43KB, 400x621px) Image search: [Google]
item_2907_1.jpg
43KB, 400x621px
Being European, I want to learn casually about Robert Lee and his statue in Charlottesville.

How accurate is the Gettysburg film of 1993?
>>
TL;DR he was the best general of the CSA, and they built a statue of him because he was one of the most important people born in Virginia

Then a bunch of hippies and yuppies showed up, and got into pissing match with a bunch of rednecks and salt right.

And now my city has to spend a bunch of money fighting court cases and tearing down a statue instead of fixing our decrepit infrastructure.

Thanks Mayor Huja.
>>
>>3235572
I don't know how technically accurate it is but the film is definitely worth watching. Martin Sheen gives a great performance as Robert E. Lee and Lee's personality is why he's been remembered so fondly by most people with an interest in the Civil War or American history in general. Conflation of the Confederacy with racism is why people are opposed to his (and other) statues and memorials.
>>
Thank you!

Many of our cities are renaming their Bismarckstreets, Moltkestreets etc., but this ongoing phenomenon occurs very quietly and without being noticed by the wider public at all.
>>
>>3235572
it's very close to the book, which itself is quite accurate. definitely worth a watch
>>
>>3235596
Yeah, I find myself siding with the aut-right on this one
>>
It's good but dear god go to the bathroom first because it's 4 and a half hours long.

Also keep in mind that Lee really didn't believe in a lot of the values of the Confederacy, in fact he was originally offered the position of commanding the Union Army. But his state seceded and he refused to fight fellow statemen.
>>
>>3235596
this.

Alt-right retards are trying to co-op typical southern MUH HERITAGE in order to seem more mainstream.
>>
>>3235739
I thought that tearing it down was a stupid waste of money, but now we have to.

It's the only way to show them who's boss.
>>
>>3235572
I highly recommend ken burns the civil war
>>
>>3235572
Excellent movie with outstanding performances. Pickett makes the best argument for the Confederacy.
>>
>>3235572
The coolest thing is that it's all filmed at the actual site of Gettysburg so the geography is exact.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.