[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point does one draw the line between philosophy and religion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: blip.jpg (1MB, 1318x912px) Image search: [Google]
blip.jpg
1MB, 1318x912px
At what point does one draw the line between philosophy and religion?
>>
Nietzsche.

Most atheists are more religious than you think
>>
File: image.jpg (282KB, 1200x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
282KB, 1200x1080px
The relative quantity of spooks

I wish I was kidding
>>
>>323799
>Most atheists are more religious than you think

How so? Isn't the absence of belief not a belief?
>>
>>323516
>nostratic
fuck off
>>
>>324074
Because although they disagree on a lot of points, they accept some religious traditions unquestioningly like the judeo-christian morality.
>>
>>324130
But can't the same morals be derived from different viewpoints?
>>
>>324074
Everyone I know who is a virulent and outspoken atheist/anti-Christian type also believes in silly pseudoscience like astrology or crystal healing or they believe unfounded conspiracy theories like chemtrails and stuff
>muh anecdote
>>
>>324130
Don't try to be Nietzsche, you aren't shit.

>>324262
>memetexting makes the anecdote criticism worthless

Humans are mystics, Christianity won't fix anything
>>
>>324074
Just because they don't believe in a diety does not mean they don't believe in other sorts of spiritual stuff
>>
>>324241
Possibly but if they do so unquestioningly then it's hardly "derived". And it's surely not coincidence when it is found within the same population who not so long ago used to belief the whole spectrum of the religion before discarded more and more parts.

>>324281
I didn't reference N. He's not the only one to criticise the west on that point. Also stop writing vague stuff like "Humans are mystics, Christianity won't fix anything", no definition I've heard of mysticism would qualify there.
>>
>>324305
"I personally know each atheist as my friend and confidant"

Shut the fuck up
>>
File: 1amitofo1000shine.jpg (45KB, 1000x806px) Image search: [Google]
1amitofo1000shine.jpg
45KB, 1000x806px
There is no line between the two.

Religion has philosophy, and philosophy turns into religion.

Religion turns into a ritualized process, but is really about the faith and works of a believer, even outside of their church and temple.
>>
What we call "religion" is inherent to any concept or system of moral or belief we can have. Negating religion absolutely only makes you insane and the conclusion is inanity.
>>
Philosophy suggests models, religion asserts them.

You are free to disprove any persons philosophy by providing counter-arguments. Poppers model of falsification is relevant here.
>>
>>323516
You don't. The distinction was used to get Plato into Christianity through the back door.
>>
>>323516

>Mesoamerican and Inca polytheism branched in 100AD

Doubt.jpg
>>
Religion is how you crystallize philosophy and turn it into something that is less previous to change and more beautiful to look at.
>>
>>324262
every atheist is different

take for example mainland communist china atheist, they are by definition atheist, but haven't let go of old Chinese mysticism where they keep weird superstitions

TL:DR people tend to go under Cognitive Dissonance more times that we think.
>>
I wouldn't say it's a line so much as a spectrum, and the more it uses reason instead of faith the more it is philosophy.
>>
>>323516
Wait, is that a fixed version of the one posted yesterday?
I notice the absence of "Jew Science" in this one.
>>
>>326798
>there are people who really think this way
>>
The other version of this that included the scientific method and quantum mechanics was better.
>>
Literally the only difference is that religion speaks in stories whereas philosophy speaks in abstract concepts. You can easily translate one into the other.
>>
File: bill nye.webm (1MB, 718x404px) Image search: [Google]
bill nye.webm
1MB, 718x404px
>>329429
>DUDE SCIENCE LMAO
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.