[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Historical Artillery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: trebuchet.jpg (34KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
trebuchet.jpg
34KB, 450x338px
Just how common was the use of field artillery prior to the invention of cannons? In this context, I'm asking about the use of artillery weapons outside of sieges. Films like to portray 'gun lines' of catapults (think the opening battle in gladiator), but it seems like artillery would have been difficult to use unless you were on the defensive or conducting a siege.

Would medieval or ancient armies actually have utilised artillery in open field battles much? I know the Romans had some small artillery pieces they apparently used, but I'm curious if larger catapults/trebuchets were ever used in this manner.
>>
>>3224058
Siege weapons where not used in field battles only very rarely. Battle of Mohac is an example where it was used in a field role.
>>
They're rather difficult to aim as I understand it. Not so much of an issue when you're aiming at a castle or city and you have plenty of time to aim and adjust, but becomes a problem when you're aiming at 5786876667 screaming barbarians who are rapidly getting closer.

That said, an anonymous poem describing the battle of Bosworth claims there were springalds there. Wetherby he meant man sized crossbows or actually siege engines is unclear.
>>
>>3224058
>Hey guys, how did they use artillery before they had artillery
>protip, they din't
>>
>>3224076
You know what I meant - besides, aren't Roman scorpions generally referred to as 'artillery'?
>>
Mongols did use siege equipment against King Bela
>>
File: 004.jpg (559KB, 1412x1059px) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
559KB, 1412x1059px
Alexander the Great used a lot of easily transported field artillery in his campaigns into Persia. Most decisively I think when he used it to cover his river crossing at the Jaxartes.
>>
>>3224058

Trebuchets would be fucking useless against soldiers. You'd never be able to aim quickly, or precisely enough. Great for knocking down large, stationary targets though.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.