[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't Persia support the Palmyrene Empire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1291.png (2MB, 1661x1414px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1291.png
2MB, 1661x1414px
>>
>>3222609
Fuck you.
>>
>>3222741
Why?
>>
>>3223259
That was really rude, I don't know what came over me.
From what I can remember, Palmyra still claimed subordination to Rome, it and Gallia weren't trying to secede, they were just Rome ruled by a different emperor. Palmyra even issued coins with the face of Aurelian on them. Because of this, the people of Palmyra hated and distrusted the Sassanids, and wouldn't have been open to alliances with Persia.
Furthermore, Persia had recently been btfo in Anatolia, 260 AD I think, and weren't really in a position to tick off Rome which, even in its state of chaos, was still a formidable opponent.
>>
>>3223515
>Persia had recently been BTFO in Anatolia 260 AD
Not really?

>Battle of Edessa: With a large army, said to number 70,000 men, Valerianus attempts to drive the Persians back from Edessa. The Roman army is surrounded and most of its troops are killed or captured. Valerianus is taken prisoner for the remainder of his life.
>Shapur I sends Valerian to Bishapur and uses the captured Roman army for engineering plans. They construct the Band-e Kaisar (Bridge of Valerian).
>Persian king Shapur I destroys Caesarea Mazaca in Asia Minor
Battle of the Euphrates is what you are thinking of and it was just driving the Sassanid army back and not in Anatolia but near Persian lands in Iraq. It wasn't a decisive battle at all, the Persian attack was repulsed without the Persians losing significant manpower.

>Palmyra still claimed subordination to Rome
Not to the Roman Emperor considering Odaenathus crowned himself king. But after his death/assassination, the Palmyrene Empire completely set up its own identity.
>>
>>3222609
what makes you think that the Palmyrenes wanted to ally with the Persians? A third of the land in your map was conquered persian land.

Also Persia needed to crush or control every power able to threaten the mesopotamian plain just like Russia needs to control or crush every power able to threaten the european plain.
>>
>>3222609
Persians were retarded. Just look how close their capital was to the Roman Empire
>>
>>3222609
Because it wasn't really a "Palmyrene" Empire. It was just a Palmyrene Roman general holding the territory ostensibly on behalf of Aurelian.
>>
>>3225451
this
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.