[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

End of the Viking Age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Viking-Death-Ship.jpg (397KB, 1023x536px) Image search: [Google]
Viking-Death-Ship.jpg
397KB, 1023x536px
What was the basis for the ending of the Viking threat to Europe?

I get that the Christianisation of Scandinavia had an impact, and defeats at places like Stamford bridge and gradual losses in Ireland diminished their power.

But what changed in the world that made them so much less of a threat as they had been in the 8th - early 11th centuries?

Their significance in history seems to come to a rather abrupt end after the Norman conquest.
>>
>>3222506
More castles, making it way harder to raid and christianity
>>
>>3222514
And Knights
>>
>>3222506
Also, the Vikings did continue way after Stamford Bridge but it was masked as a Crusade
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Crusade
>>
>>3222519
There were no such things as knights until well into the 12th century. If you mean professional military forces, then maybe, but those had existed since Charlemagne and before.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yngvars_saga_v%C3%AD%C3%B0f%C3%B6rla
even the fuckin russ where starting to btfo vikings.
>>
>>3222906
disregard this im an idiot
>>
>>3222506
Several things, some of which are interrelated.

1) >>3222514 pointed out better forts that were harder to raid.

2) The Vikings adopted Christianity. As much as /leftypol/ likes to complain about Christianity being violent and "problematic", pagan societies tend to become more peaceful when they adopt Christianity. A similar thing happened with the Hungarians/Magyars.

3) The Medieval Warm Period started, thus the rational economic calculus shifted from raiding to farming.

4) Norway, Denmark, and Sweden all underwent the process of becoming nation-states with more regularized militaries.
>>
>>3222930
>>3222506

Also, population growth meant slavery was less necessary to supply labor, so the slave market declined.
>>
>>3222506
I would say more centralisation in European kingdoms.

For instance, when the Vikings first turned up in England it was fractured amongst warring realms. By the time of the late 10th century a more powerful central state was creating fortified areas in each region for locals to flee to with their supplies, starving the raiders each time. More intensive taxing and shit helped make a more professional army possible.
>>
>>3222506
fortresses and better organizations.
Oh, and new boats, not as quick as the longboats, but ships like cogs and such were much "taller" than longboats, giving an elevation advantage.
>>
England got too hard to attack so they settled with bullying the Finns for some centuries
>>
>>3226082
Why not just attack Polan/Balts/Rus?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.