[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Indian buddhist garments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: tilopas.jpg (158KB, 736x935px) Image search: [Google]
tilopas.jpg
158KB, 736x935px
So do we have any accurate depiction of how indian buddhist monks dressed and looked?

While they maybe dressed similar to modern Sri Lankan buddhists, tibetan depiction of Vajrayana (ie latest stages) monks are no different from wandering yogis. Padmasambhava, Tilopa, Naropa, etc have long hair, moustaches and the later two barely some pants like average hindu saddhus instead of long robes. Yet tibetan lamas have the same buzzcut+orange clothes style as other buddhist schools

Does any East Asian garment reflect more accurately indian monks robes than Sri Lankan ones?
>>
>>3221945
Off yourself
>>
>>3221945
Bugs...
>>
>>3221945
Bugs...
>>
File: my rabbit 4.jpg (18KB, 409x600px) Image search: [Google]
my rabbit 4.jpg
18KB, 409x600px
>>3221945
>>
>>3221976
It's the first time I make this thread
>>
>>3221937
"Lama" is a title. A monk can be a lama. Or a layman can be a lama. I think you are instead trying to use the word monk. Tibetan MONKS have the orange/maroon cloth + buzzcut. Also each buddhist school adopt different color style, not necessarily same. Tibetans have the deep maroon+orange. Chinese have bright yellow robes. Japan/Korea have gray/brown/black robes. Theravadans have saffron/orangish robe.

Most are based around region's original simple dye coloring scheme available to the people of the time. The variations are also due to different region's available dyes. The tradition is just that, tradition. Nothing really sacred about what the original monks wore or not.

The gurus from India parted knowledge of yogis in Tibet. There are yogi traditions in Tibet. The main Buddhist lineages in Tibet are ofcourse the mainstream Buddhist doctrines. The yogis are however much more rarer. They are ofcourse the ascetic types of the Buddhist branch.
>>
>>3221937
Theravada monks, though they follow teachings closest to the original dhamma, don't really look like the original, original monks.

For example, the rule about cutting hair and eyebrows was most likely added later on to prevent the spread of lice or other bugs.

Though the Pali texts do mention ochre robes, so they may be original in that regard.

>>3221951
>>3221955
>>3221963
>>3221970
>>3221981
What the fuck was it?
>>
>>3225664
> What the fuck was it?
Bugsposting
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.