[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did so many people die in the Taiping Rebellion? I haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: NvGxVNnya6ctHWrwU8FRZ3bz.jpg (139KB, 800x472px) Image search: [Google]
NvGxVNnya6ctHWrwU8FRZ3bz.jpg
139KB, 800x472px
Why did so many people die in the Taiping Rebellion? I haven't found a legit answer besides "well there was brutal fighting"
>>
THE TREE OF SINO XTIANITY GOTTA BE LITTERED WITH THE BLOOD OF HEATHENS
>>
>>3220828
Because most of China isn't that naturally fertile outside of areas along the rivers. Chinese population is able to swell because you have an extensive centralized state that provides enormous agricultural infrastructure enabling things like irrigation and fertilizer to reach the farther corners of the country.

Every time you get a major war, rampaging armies destroy most of that infrastructure, and if it isn't quickly repaired, you get endemic starvation. That's usually how you get these absurdly high death tolls in major Chinese civil wars.
>>
>>3220828
Chinks could send 2 quadrillion men in and replace them with 3 year old conscripts within 3 minutes
>>
>>3220828
They all look the same and couldn't tell friend from foe.
>>
>>3220828
1) Southern China is the most populous bit of China. Even today.
2) Whenever China gets into a civil war, its akin to a major war among European states. The country is simply that big. Loads of people die in fighting and the massacres.
3) The fact that many people took the opportunity of the Taiping rebellion to strike a blow towards the declining Qing government
4) Chinese provinces ultimately benefit from each other. Most particularly in food production. A civil war means that shit is disrupted, leading to famine and subsequent deaths.
5) last and most importantly: there were no reliable census at the time during the Chaos. Just like it was in the An Lushan Rebellion, some officials assumed that when X village was wiped off the map by the war, they'd put it down to EVERYONE HERE DED :(. It didn't occur to these people that the villagers may have migrated elsewhere.
>>
>>3220870
source on your bullshit 5) claim
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.