[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a death cult?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1034.jpg (59KB, 570x393px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1034.jpg
59KB, 570x393px
Title pham
>>
yeah it's a suicidal death cult practiced by indian faggot cry-baby peasants who hate life and never want to exist again
>>
>>3220168
What do the hand gestures mean?
>>
File: buddhist mummy 3[1].jpg (64KB, 402x536px) Image search: [Google]
buddhist mummy 3[1].jpg
64KB, 402x536px
>>3220168
Yes. Only a death cult would consider mummifying yourself while still alive to be a good idea.

Something tells me Buddha wouldn't have wanted people to do stuff like this, though.
>>
No. The idea is to escape the cycle death and rebirth.
>>
>>3220168
No, its just a way to legitimize laziness.
>>
>>3220663
Controlling your mind is an act of laziness

Americans must all be bodhisatvas
>>
>>3220168
It depends on what you mean by death cult
>>
>>3220706
Americans would be arhats because individualism
>>
>>3220658
i.e. death
>>
>>3220599

They're called hand mudras (forms) and indicate some message. I think those ones mean truth has been attained and truth is being taught.
>>
>>3220168

How can it be a death cult if death isn't real?

http://www.mindfulnessbell.org/archive/2014/03/dharma-talk-no-birth-no-death-only-transformation-2
>>
>>3220599
>Please come fuck my wife impregnate her
>>
File: bon-canon.jpg (288KB, 649x504px) Image search: [Google]
bon-canon.jpg
288KB, 649x504px
>>3220648
>Something tells me Buddha wouldn't have wanted people to do stuff like this, though.
The fundamentalist fallacy: The belief that because something is older in a religion, it is more "legitimate."

This is especially pernicious when applied to Buddhism, which teaches "84,000 dharma doors," "the doctrine of expedient means," and "many roads, one mountain." In other words, Buddhism is expected to change and shift to suit different times, different places, and different individual capacities and proclivities.
>>
>>3221980

True, but there are core doctrines universal to all buddhists: the 4 noble truths, the 3 seals/3 marks of existence, the 3 jewels. Any practice that goes against these would not be buddhism.
>>
>>3220658
but why did the Buddha deny that his philosophy teaches annihilationism? Doesn't the end of the cycle necessarily lead to non-existence?
>>
>>3222360
No
You just ascend to a higher plane
Which unfortunately you would not receive until atleast 6 cycles anon
>>
File: serdd42e.jpg (45KB, 347x499px) Image search: [Google]
serdd42e.jpg
45KB, 347x499px
" In Chinese Buddhism, for example, self-immolation has a long and well-documented history. From written records, we know of several hundred Chinese Buddhist monks, nuns, and laypeople who offered up their bodies for a variety of reasons—though not usually in protest against the state—from the late 4th century to the present. The majority burned themselves to death, often in staged public spectacles. (Scholars use the term auto-cremation for this rather than the more common self-immolation, which means “self-sacrifice.”) The numerous accounts and discussions of self-immolation in Chinese records make it clear that many Buddhist authors did not condemn it as an aberrant or deviant practice but understood it as a bodily path to awakening. For Chinese Buddhists, in fact, auto-cremation belonged to a set of practices collectively known as “abandoning the body.” Besides burning themselves to death, such practitioners also let insects feed on their bodies, sliced off their own flesh, burned off fingers or arms, or burned incense on the skin. Others starved, stabbed, or drowned themselves, leapt from cliffs or trees, fed themselves to wild animals (usually tigers), or mummified themselves."

https://tricycle.org/magazine/burning-buddha/
>>
>>3220168
guess the name of this death cult

hint
sahih al bukhari 6922=
Narrated `Ikrima:
Some Zanadiqa (atheists) were brought to `Ali and he burnt them. The news of this event, reached Ibn `Abbas who said, "If I had been in his place, I would not have burnt them, as Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) forbade it, saying, 'Do not punish anybody with Allah's punishment (fire).' I would have killed them according to the statement of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ), 'Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.'"
>>
>>3220168

Objectively yes, but subjectively they deny the very concept of death so it doesn't have the character of a typical death cult, ie, it is not often aggressive or bellicose and it does not build great monuments and tombs to the blessed dead.
>>
>>3220168
So is christianity

>dude just like don't do anything because life sucks, just ask the father and you'll have a better life after dying
>>
>>3222374
Han Yu was right, Buddhism is nothing but a death cult that needs hard working people to support their degenerate lifestyle.
Wuzong of Tang did everything right trying to get rid of the cancer that is Buddhism.
>>
>>3222364
>You just ascend to a higher plane

"nirvana" - to snuff out, like a candle
>>
>>3220575
>peasants

Buddha was a KHANG
>>
>>3221911
>>3221922
I see we truly live in an age of enlightenment.
>>
>>3225759
An over simplification of the buddhist understanding of it.

The soul is impermanent to begin with, and the individual is illusionary. what you are escaping isn't existence but the endless cycle of suffering and death, "you" still exist as much as you ever did, that is not at all,
>>
>>3226066

>that is, not at all

You don't understand emptiness if you think that's what it means
>>
>>3220648

funny how westerners always seem to know what buddha would and wouldnt have wanted
>>
>>3226574
>MUH WESTERNERS "CAN'T TOUCH BUDDHISM"

Pretty sure that part about "all sentient beings" includes westerners, son.
>>
>>3226574
>muh curturar appropriation
Kys gook
>>
File: 021.jpg (92KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
021.jpg
92KB, 700x400px
>>3226574
funny how 4chooners always know who is from where and and are so certain that race/culture/nationality determines what you are and aren't allowed to know or discuss.

"It was a long journey — especially for someone who had to walk the entire way. After about thirty days, Huineng finally reached his destination. He quickly located the Dongchan Temple, and presented himself before the Master.

The Fifth Patriarch was plainspoken and straightforward. He wasted no time speaking to Huineng directly: “Where are you from? What are you looking for here?”

Huineng replied: “Master, I am a commoner from the Lingnan province. I have come a long way to pay my respects to you. I seek nothing other than to become a Buddha.”

The Fifth Patriarch regarded this young man and used a scolding voice: “You are a commoner from the south, and also a barbarian. How can a barbarian hope to become a Buddha?”

Huineng was unruffled as he responded: “Although people are differentiated in terms of north and south, in Buddha nature there is no north or south. The body of the barbarian may be different from that of the monk, but what difference is there in terms of Buddha nature?”

This response impressed the Fifth Patriarch."

Read the part in the Platform Sutra where
>>
A death cult with reincarnation seems to be counterproductive
>>
>>3220168
>Le "this life is bad, everyone is a sinner, I can't wait to die (albeit naturally!) so I can go to heaven" Christfaggots.
>Le "this life is bad, everyone is a sinner, I can't wait to die (albeit naturally or in righteous battle that I started) so I can go to heaven" Muslims
>"Is it a death cult?"
>>
>>3226690
the goal of buddhism is to never reincarnate again
>>
>>3226949

No it's to be happy
>>
>>3227047
Ur stupid
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.