[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is a freaking 60-year-old nuclear power plant in the Congo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 4

File: h5w.jpg (312KB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
h5w.jpg
312KB, 1131x1600px
>nb4 "25 year rule":
The fucking thing has been there since 1958 (and still uses the same ancient tech), so discussing it is in compliance with the 25 year rule.

How can this not have melted down yet?

"A look inside the world’s least secure nuclear reactor"

"Today, the reactors are housed in an indistinct administrative building of the sort ubiquitous across the global south. It’s a crumbling, Z-grade, concrete-and-rebar brutalist homage of about 40 rooms perched on the University of Kinshasa’s campus, about an hour’s drive up the hill from downtown Kinshasa....
Still technically a functioning research facility, CREN-K’s offices now host just a few poorly paid scientists. Some are busy playing God with radiation to grow freakazoid plants, nobly seeking a malaria cure. Others analyse endless concrete samples for radiation with dingy computers running Microsoft Windows 2000. Caked beakers, vintage centrifuges, and dented aluminium sterilizers shipped all the way from Manitowoc, Wisconsin, are strewn about the shoebox-sized labs.

But this mothballed dream still has thousands of years of fuel, concentrated in what used to be 140 indigenously mined enriched-uranium fuel rods scattered around the compound in a few barely fortified buildings. Congolese uranium, the very kind that once filled the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, has been shopped around the world, enriched and raw, in burlap sacks and suitcases weighing up to 200 pounds, destined for undesirables like Saddam Hussein and North Korea. CREN-K’s own U-235 rods — utterly enticing dirty-bomb material — have developed a nasty habit of vanishing without a trace..."

Fuck.
>>
File: Congo-reactor.jpg (56KB, 625x400px)
Congo-reactor.jpg
56KB, 625x400px
Sorry I uploaded the wrong pic. And forgot the link.

here ya go.

http://www.thelondoneveningpost.com/features/a-look-inside-the-worlds-least-secure-nuclear-reactor-in-drc
>>
File: nigs vs nukes.jpg (36KB, 552x378px) Image search: [Google]
nigs vs nukes.jpg
36KB, 552x378px
>literally less safe than Chernnobyl

Fucking niggers...
>>
>3217244
xD what an epic bost my friend

Thanks for the link OP, will check it out
>>
File: f6ff.jpg (7KB, 220x168px) Image search: [Google]
f6ff.jpg
7KB, 220x168px
"In front of me lies a grated bridge, the first step to the booty. But wait, my egress is blocked by a steel chain wrapped in white plastic tubing strung just above knee level. Were I able to navigate that hurdle, then comes a waist-high orange gate. Jumping over it could be possible … but maybe I’d be better off just walking..Wait, what? That’s it? I’m in?

...The 2-foot-long rods look like miniature brass javelins and are composed of a uranium-zirconium hydride chemical blend that can reach 1,200 degrees Celsius before any real damage is done. Plan B — busting into the original reactor that now is little more than a spent-fuel warehouse and simply carrying them out — was the method of choice the last time that two rods were stolen, in 1997. One was recovered a year later after the Italian mafia tried to pawn it off to a Middle Eastern buyer; the other is still on tour somewhere in the black market underground.

I asked Sebastian Luindula, head of scientific affairs at CREN-K, about this horrific lapse of security. Don’t worry, he said. The spent fuel was moved “far, far away from here. All the way to the other side of the compound.” Luindula also said that they installed motion detectors similar to what you might find at any suburban house in the United States."
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.