[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Famous Western warriors like those of the East?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 21

It's somewhat common knowledge of famous Eastern warriors like Ma Chao and Yukimura Sanada, but how come I never hear of famous Western warriors, if there were any?

The only famous warriors I know are those of legend, like Beowulf or Lancelot. Sure, there's Leonidas and Aegis, but what about those away from antiquity? What famous knights were there?
>>
William Marshal
>>
Guilliaume le Marechal
>>
File: Skenderbeu.jpg (17KB, 220x269px) Image search: [Google]
Skenderbeu.jpg
17KB, 220x269px
KDA 3000/1/hundred thousands

>inb4 historians said this and that without any prove wich means it`s not that high
>>
>>3213444
El Cid
>>
William Wallace
>>
>>3213444
The Black Prince
>>
File: 1364703084172.jpg (176KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1364703084172.jpg
176KB, 1680x1050px
William Wallace?

Vald the impaler might be another, though I don't know if he actually fought
>>
>>3213444
Bertrand du Guesclin
>>
Not sure if he "fought" but, Richard the 3rd
>>
>>3213444
>I never hear of famous Western warriors
Because they were irrelevant outside of their countries.

>What famous knights were there?
Zawisza Czarny for example
>>
>>3213510
so were the eastern warriors, but i'd figure western warriors would eventually become as popular in media for the same reasons
>>
>>3213444
Not sure if it's too far north but, Harald Hardrada
>>
>>3213510
I think we found the Weeaboo
>>
>>3213444
Cú Chulainn you massive faggot
>>
>>3213537
He said non-mythical, dumbass
>>
Pierre Terrail
>>
>>3213444
Spartacus? You couldn't even think of that?
>>
>>3213471

>le if i point out my husbandos legacy is fake and gay first that must mean it's not true

dumb slavposter
>>
>>3213444
Pierre Terrail de Bayard
>>
>>3213444
Roland
>>
>>3213444
Jean Le Maingre/Boucicaut
>>
>>3213444
Pero Niño
>>
>>3213558
He was more of a gladiator/show-fighter than an outright warrior.
>>3213560
Get your pathetic arse back to pol where it belongs, we do not assume peoples' nationality by the quality of their posts.
>>
>>3213444
Pier Gerlofs Donia
>>
>>3213574

east europe more like west turkey
>>
>>3213462

The guy was litterally English you fuckwit
>>
>>3213506

He fought at Barnet, and Tewkesbury before being killed at Bosworth.
>>
>>3213574
>Show fighter
>Gladiators
No they really did kill each other
>>
>>3213577
georg von ehingen is another somewhat famous one.
>>
>>3213587
Sorry, I meant Richard the 1st, but yeah, Richard the 3rd too.
>>
>>3213595
Yes, but it was a very play to the crowd type of killing each other, they were trained to make a show of most every fight they were in, rather than end it as quickly and efficiently as possible.
>>
>>3213558
>but what about those away from antiquity?
>>
>>3213444
Hercules
>>
>>3213608
>It was a play to the crowd
Not in the way you're thinking , it was more about how many guys/large animals could 1 man kill
>>
>>3213612

See
>>3213609
>>
>>3213609
>What is google
>>
>>3213574
I know Americans are divided but it`s preety funny to see some call everyone a dirty slav even though the only ones they know are Ivans from Russia who spit on them once and others be the whiteknights for every single thing no matter how much nobody cares about it on a Taiwanese online book store.
>>
>>3213612
Non-mythical.
Read question, por favor.
>>
>>3213615
Fine, I see your point.
>>
>>3213444
Khalid ibn al-walid
>>
>>3213665
Western, i.e. european
>>
>>3213444
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digenes_Akritas
>>
File: jean-louis-michel.jpg (63KB, 540x758px) Image search: [Google]
jean-louis-michel.jpg
63KB, 540x758px
>>3213444
A bit more recent than the middle-ages but well.
>>
>>3213527
Were Japanese swordsman popular in China?
>>
File: William Marshall.jpg (74KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
William Marshall.jpg
74KB, 720x960px
>>3213455
>>3213462
This guy is a great example when it comes a warrior in the sense of somebody who actually fought, not (just) commanded.

You could also make an argument for some of the fencing masters, such as Johannes Liechtenauer and Fiore dei Liberi, although they are more duelists than soldiers.

Also he wouldn't have been referred to as Guillaume in French, as the Norman version of William is Williame.
>>
Götz von Berlichingen

Mercenary who lost an arm in battle and had an iron one made in its place, all around badass dude
>>
>>3213949
You forgot the most important part: He may have coined the phrase "kiss my ass", at least the German version.
>>
Götz von Berlichingen
>>
>>3213949
>>3213956
ah shit too late
>>
>>3213915
Chinese swordsmen are popular in Japan, the Dynasty Warriors games are made in Japan
>>
>>3213949
wasn't there a Centurion that also had a metal hand?
>>
>>3213973
I wouldn't know about that, I know this guy's arm was fully articulated though

That and I think he's the inspiration for the character Guts from Berserk, the dude with a cast iron cannon-arm
>>
>>3213915

They were frequently hired as mercenaries in the south. They were prized for their ferocity and contempt for death.
>>
>>3213462
>>3213941
He was fairly Anglicised. One of the first of the Norman nobility to consider themselves a native Englishman.
>>
>>3213444
No literary tradition exist in the west. Not during the medieval times because parchment paper was expensive.

Only in the east do we get cheap paper and printing technology revolutionizing intellectual discourses.
>>
>>3214226
I don't even...
>>
>>3213444
Godfrey de Boullion.
>>
File: IMG_1289.png (529KB, 824x1028px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1289.png
529KB, 824x1028px
>>3213444
Gilgamesh
>>
>>3213558
I'm Spartacus AMA
>>
>>3214226

>King Arthur
>Song of Roland
>The Divine Comedy
>The Canterbury Tales
>The Decameron
>>
File: fot_05.jpg (24KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
fot_05.jpg
24KB, 320x213px
>>3213444
Voreno and Pullo were real and they are mentioned by J Cesar in his Chronicles as great warriors
>>
>>3214706
i've heard they were characters he made up
>>
Constantine
In the middle of the party cleaving fockin' heavens to get off him
>>
>>3213444
Diego García de Paredes is the best Duelist in History.
> Climb Fortress at night to open door from inside
> Get discovered
> Fight for 3 days against all the garrison at the top of the wall
> Both Armies cheering and insulting you from the ground
> Drop 3 Days and nights later due to sleep depravation
> In fury your army storms the castle
> They win
> Escape anyway by your own
>>
>>3214725
>In the middle of the party cleaving fockin' heavens to get off him
what?
>>
>>3214746
Commander that was a little too eager to dive in the middle of the battle line and murder everything he saw that defied Rome and Yahweh. His bodyguards would lose him at the start of a battle as he personally led the charge and would find him on the otherside of the field at the end of the day soaked head to toe in blood of his enemies.
>>
>>3214710
I dont doubt that JC exagerated his deeds but considereing that his writtings were read on the senate out loud people will notice if he invented roman citizens.
>>
Fiore de Liberi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiore_dei_Liberi
>>
File: richard-the-lionheart.jpg (269KB, 686x385px) Image search: [Google]
richard-the-lionheart.jpg
269KB, 686x385px
>>3213444
Richard Coeur de Lion
>>
>>3213444
Bohemond of Taranto, his real name is Mark. They called him Bohemond after a mythical giant who whooped a relatively similar amount of ass.
>>
>>3215370
A lot of the Normans that came to Sicily were huge badasses that wanted everyone to know.
>>
>>3213444
Who the fuck are Mao Chao and the other fucker
>>
>>3213584
He absolutly wasnt
He was a French noble born in England who couldnt speak any other language than French
>>
>>3213444
Giovanni of the Black Bands

>From an early age, he demonstrated great interest and ability in physical activity, especially the martial arts of the age: horse riding, sword-fighting, etc. He committed his first murder at the age of 12, and was twice banished from the city of Florence for his unruly behavior, including involvement in the rape of a sixteen-year-old boy, Giovanni being about thirteen at the time.

nice guy
>>
>>3215417
>who couldnt speak any other language than French

Well, according to the wiki he could speak both French and Latin
Not English though (not like he had a use for it anyway, I doubt he often talked with peasants)
>>
>>3215404
>normans

He was french. Or italian, if you take birthplace into account. Then again, italy didn't even exist so he definitely was french.
>>
>>3215424
What a faggot lol
>>
>>3215453
Well, he spoke French and established a French speaking principality in the Levant, so he sure wasnt Italian or English...
>>
File: charles dance.gif (763KB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
charles dance.gif
763KB, 200x180px
>>3213455
>>3213462
>>3213941
>>3214089

Willy was probably the greatest knight that ever lived. Let me give you guys a rundown of how crazy he was:
>His first battles were often slogs were Willy could capture or kill more experienced opponents. Yet he often sent his opponents away, despite the promise of ransom.
>In a small skirmirsh, William's uncle was killed by Guy de Luisignan and he himself was injured and captured.
>Due to his reputation as an admirable chap and being a nice guy around, someone smuggled a breadloaf with fresh linen bandages and dressing in his cell.
>Finally, Eleanor of Aquitaine ransomed the yet young William because many of his former foes praised his prowess and honour.
>William would go on to win atleast 200 tournaments and very big competitions very well into his later life.
>He served atleast 5 kings and when he was on his deathbed, the templars inducted him into their order and he was buried in the temple church in London.

Other than that, Götz von Berlichingen is a cool guy. He told the Emperor go fuck himself.

>Original german:"Er(der Kaiser) kann mich im Arsche lecken!"("Tell the emperor to lick my butt!")

The whole quote has it's own name in german 'Götz Zitat' (Götz Quote), which is an euphemism for cursing.
>>
>>3215453
>His father came from Normady
>Not Norman
What did anon mean by this?
>>
Who /tancred/ here?

>800% madman
>BTFO muslims
>call the byzantine basilieus a cuck to hisnface
>conquer jerusalem
>take a small force and smash the muslim forts
>tactically accomplished and able to go all out, just this once to kill personally

That said >>3215370 was probably even more legendary, but it runs in the family
>>
not really a knight but what about the Viking at Stamford bridge?
>>
File: Bayard_at_Garigliano.jpg (91KB, 865x598px) Image search: [Google]
Bayard_at_Garigliano.jpg
91KB, 865x598px
>>3215514
Not bad, however

>Pierre Terrail, seigneur de Bayard (1473 – 30 April 1524) was a French soldier, generally known as the Chevalier de Bayard.

>Throughout the centuries since his death, he has been known as "the knight without fear and beyond reproach"

>At the Battle of Garigliano he single-handedly defended the bridge of the Garigliano against 200 Spaniards, an exploit that brought him such renown that Pope Julius II tried unsuccessfully to entice him into his service.[1]

>In 1508, Bayard accompanied King Louis XII against rebellious Genoa.
>In the battle that broke the back of the rebellion, Bayard played the role of champion and spearhead in the French assault; a breakneck cavalry charge up a mountain slope against a seemingly impregnable barricade, defended by a pike-phalanx of Genoese militia. The Genoese broke and fled before the furious charge of Bayard and the French gendarmes.
The Genoese broke and fled before the furious charge of Bayard and the French gendarmes.
>Genoa subsequently fell, and Bayard entered the city in triumph behind his king.[1]

>In 1510 the Duchy of Ferrara joined the alliance. Bayard was co-commander of the French contingent sent to garrison and aid the city and its Duke, Alphonso d'Este. During his eight-month stay, Bayard won the admiration of the duke and his wife, the lady Lucrezia Borgia.
>According to his biographer, "The Loyal Servant," (likely Bayard's archer and lifelong secretary, Jacques de Mailles) the chevalier fully returned Lucrezia's admiration; considering her "a pearl" among women. Bayard would return to Ferrara on other occasions to pay his hommage to the lady
>>
File: Bayard_statue.jpg (521KB, 1089x1839px) Image search: [Google]
Bayard_statue.jpg
521KB, 1089x1839px
>>3215601
>At the Siege of Brescia in 1512, Bayard led a wedge of dismounted men-at-arms against the defenders, himself at its tip. Several times the French assault was thrown back. Each time Bayard rallied the French forces and led them in renewed attacks. His boldness at last resulted in a severe wound to the thigh, but not before the defenses were breached and the French had entered the town.

>His soldiers carried Bayard into a neighbouring mansion, the residence of a nobleman, whose wife and daughters he protected from threatened insult. Bayard was charmed by the young daughters, who sang to him nightly. Before his wound was healed, he learned that battle was imminent at Ravenna, and he hurried to depart to rejoin his comrades. But not before endowing the two daughters with a thousand gold ducats each

>When war again broke out between Francis I and Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, Bayard, with 1000 men, held Mézières, which had been declared untenable, against an army of 35,000, and after six weeks, compelled the imperial generals to lift the siege. This stubborn resistance saved central France from invasion, as the king had not then sufficient forces to withstand the Holy Roman Empire.[1]

>Bayard was sent into Italy with Admiral Bonnivet, who, being defeated at Robecco and wounded in a combat during his retreat, implored Bayard to assume command and save the army.
>He repulsed the foremost pursuers, but in guarding the rear at the passage of the river Sesia between the towns of Romagnano Sesia and Gattinara, was mortally wounded by an arquebus ball, on 30 April 1524. [2]

Literally took a fucking firearm to kill this absolute madman
>>
>>3215569
>Killed with a spear thrust in the balls after wrecking everything.

I cannot even fathom worse ways to reach Valhalla.
>>
>>3213609
Spartacus lived in the 12th century
>>
>>3215514
You forgot that he could remember besting five HUNDRED knights on his deathbed and was leading cavalry charges-and winning- into his 70s.
>>
Alexander the Great.
>>
>>3214741

None of this happened, but I enjoyed it anyway.
>>
Charles Martel
>>
>>3214621
>western
>>
>>3213444
>how come I never hear of famous Western warriors

dunno, because you're an ignoramus?
>>
>>3213444
Manfred von Richthofen
Erich Hartmann
>>
>>3216964
Hartmann is legit fucking insane. the fact that they had to send fact checkers into the air with him in order to make sure he wasnt fudging his kill counts was ridiculous
>>
http://www.medievalchronicles.com/medieval-europe/medieval-germany/famous-german-knights/
have fun.
>>
>>3213473
the animator?
>>
>>3214226
Lol from what dump do you come.
>What are chivalry novels.
>>
>>3213444
>not knowing who Arthur Harris is
Kraut detected
>>
Premier Bush.
>>
>>3213949
>Götz
>metal arm
>mercenary
G-Guts?
>>
>>3217802

Probably inspired Guts actually
>>
>>3214638
No, I AM Spartacus
>>
>>3213949
did he put his grasses on?
>>
>>3217802
>>3218361
No. Miura was asked about that and he said he had no idea about the guy but "it is pretty cool".
>>
File: Godfrey.jpg (36KB, 460x437px) Image search: [Google]
Godfrey.jpg
36KB, 460x437px
>>3213444
>>
Brian Ború
>>
>>3215514

He didn't address the emperor with that though. And I'm certain the infamous line was Goethe's fabrication. Goetz had big respect for Emperor Maximilian I. even after being outlawed by him.
>>
Surprised no one has mentioned John Talbot yet
>>
Tancred and Bohemond were the greatest knights of the 1st Crusade.
>>
>>3217246
The crazier part is that he legit was never brought down by enemy fire. He crash landed 14 or 15 times from damage caused by flying parts of planes he shot down.
>>
>>3218571

The Earl of Shrewsbury? The "English Achilles"?
>>
>>3213560
fucking faggot he was albanian and not a slav you fucking cuck
>>
File: pata.png (280KB, 321x777px) Image search: [Google]
pata.png
280KB, 321x777px
>>3218571
Maybe because he was a huge faggot that got defeated by a peasant girl...
>>
>>3213444
I don't think europeans put that much significance on the "one man superhero dark soldier" idea as nips do

Most of our great warriors were leaders or kings, because those are the ones that actually win wars and change history, not some lonesome edgy warrior
>>
>Ctrl F
>Prince Rupert of the Rhine
>0

Ya fucked up.

Little nigga was so good his enemies legit thought he was unkillable and protected by supernatural powers.
>>
>>3218763
>Jean
>Joan
>John
>John
real creative with the names weren't they
>>
One of the most famous warriors is probably dragon slayer Saint George (Geṓrgios). He is so famous a country and a US state was named after him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George
>>
>>3218945
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state)

> It began as a British colony in 1733, the last of the original Thirteen Colonies.[5] Named after King George II of Great Britain,[6] the Province of Georgia covered the area from South Carolina down to Spanish Florida and New France along Louisiana (New France), also bordering to the west towards the Mississippi River.

Can't tell if bait or retarded.
>>
>>3218956
Saint George is the patron saint of England. His cross forms the national flag of England. Of course every "King George" was named after Saint George.
>>
>>3218996
But King George was German, not English.
>>
>>3218996
>>3219009
Btw the cross of St George was the one the French used during the Crusades (while Englanders used a white on red one that faded into irrelevance)
The French had gained it such renown while crusading that the English later adopted said cross as their national flag
>>
>>3218996
I'm pretty sure when they were naming the colony their thought process wasn't "Lets name this place after the patron saint of England!" It was "Lets name this place after the king so he's pleased with us!"
>>
>>3218391
No, I AM Spartacus
>>
>>3219038
maybe, Americans had always been ignorants
>>
>>3219038

As long as you are denying historical facts by making up something off the top of your head and declaring "I'm pretty sure" about it then I guess we're all good.
>>
File: llulla-en-duelo-520x249.jpg (46KB, 520x249px) Image search: [Google]
llulla-en-duelo-520x249.jpg
46KB, 520x249px
>>3214741
The best duelist in history is actually Joseph "pepe" Llulla aka the gravedigging duelist. He participated in near 100 duels in New Orleans and won every single one of them, swords, bowie knives, shotguns, pistols, etc. The guy was just outstanding.
>>
File: buff tywin.jpg (66KB, 500x631px) Image search: [Google]
buff tywin.jpg
66KB, 500x631px
>>3218563
>He didn't address the emperor with that though. And I'm certain the infamous line was Goethe's fabrication. Goetz had big respect for Emperor Maximilian I. even after being outlawed by him.

We don't fucking know. Most modern historians, especially those frome germany say the exact same thing yet all sources paint Götz as a madman that had enemies everywhere, got the 'Reichsacht'(Something like being declared an outlaw and up for grab) at least twice and raided rich german cities big style.
Goethe was the really first popular author give Götz his infamous quote but before that literally everyone asociated with Götz Robbers, Vigilantes and the famous quote.

And the thing for the emperor: No he didn't. Götz repeatedly broke the peace and started feuds with people and even helped the peasents in their wars.
>>
>>3213444
Swamp Fox
--Fancis Marion
>>
>>3217771
Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, a castillian knight who played a major role in the reconquista, and was called El Cid (Lord) by the muslims he defeated, and Campeador (champion) by the iberians. In Spain is considered a national hero.
>>
>>3216895
>I know things that are not commonly known, therefore I'm superior and everyone else is beneath me.

Do need a mirror to masturbate or is your inflated ego enough?
>>
>>3220619
To be fair the OP implied there was some kind of secret about Western warriors compared to well know Eastern ones when really it's just his own ignorance.

>how come I never hear of Western warriors
Literally because you aren't looking hard enough outside of Dynasty/Samurai Warriors.
>>
>>3218778
Don't wanna name your child something not biblical and risk being burned at the stake...
>>
>>3218764
>I don't think europeans put that much significance on the "one man superhero dark soldier" idea as nips do

they did in the medieval times, however the "epic heroes" from storytelling are exaggerations of the actual warriors and knights.

You have in slavic epic storytelling a variety of these heroes that are based in someway or another on the actual personalities from the medieval times.

In russian the bogatyrs, Muromets, Popovich, Nikitich, in serbian the junaks, Obilich, Mrnjavtschevich, Brankovich...

The thing is in epic storytelling these people could throw a horse or pick a three out of the earth with their bare hands.
>>
>>3213444
since most have already been posted, I'll add Robert the Bruce
>>
>>3213444
In western culture warriors mostly did duels. The important ones were the generals.
>>
>>3213444
Sounds like someone's been playing a little too much Dynasty Warriors
>>
Edward IV
>>
>Think about the local mighty warriors
>Its mostly dudes from pre 1300 because country got thrown into a shitty subordinate union
At the least we got a lot of Torderskjolds, Tambjerke, and a lot other cool dudes. Or most of the cooler historical saga people.
Its not so bad. Its just that nobody is focusing on a lot on it, so Cinema isn't doing it either, so it gets forgotten.
>>
File: d_afonsohenriquesi.jpg (31KB, 255x320px) Image search: [Google]
d_afonsohenriquesi.jpg
31KB, 255x320px
>>3213444

Rex Afonso Henriques
>>
>>3213444
richard the lionheart > all
>>
>>3213444
Does simo hayha count?
>>
>>3213444
The Black Dog of Brocéliande
>>
>>3216964
>Erich Hartmann
Bless that man.
>>
Bertrand du Guesclin
Pier Gerlofs Donia
Pierre Terrail de Bayard
Gilles de Rais
Götz von Berlichingen
>>
>>3213941
>Johannes Liechtenauer
>although they are more duelists than soldiers.

Although liechtenauer himself didnt (wrong time period), the masters who made up the fellowship of liechtenauer (its these 17 masters' glosses of liechtenauer's zettel who we know practical information about the german school through) very likely served in the hussite wars.
>>
>>3215514
>His first battles were often slogs were Willy could capture or kill more experienced opponents. Yet he often sent his opponents away, despite the promise of ransom.

Literally me in Mount & Blade
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.