[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/ approved /lit/ Post em if you got em, nerds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 148

File: 20821092.jpg (28KB, 306x475px) Image search: [Google]
20821092.jpg
28KB, 306x475px
/his/ approved /lit/

Post em if you got em, nerds
>>
>>3211126
Is this historic fiction o the real shit?
>>
>>3211199
the real shit
>>
Dmitry Merezhkovsky wrote a good biography of Napoleon. It's a little overromanticizing but nonetheless good. It covers his personality in general.
>>
>>3211199
Real shit, the guy got access to thousands of letters by Napoleon not seen before

They didn't change the history books but they gave massive new insights into the personality of Napoleon himself.
>>
File: 10335318.jpg (45KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
10335318.jpg
45KB, 313x475px
>>3211126

WTF I love James Garfield now. The best president we ever had, but only for a month.
>>
File: tha god.jpg (480KB, 1517x2048px) Image search: [Google]
tha god.jpg
480KB, 1517x2048px
Any recommended reading on pic related?
>>
"The Guns of August" & "A World Undone" are 11/10 when it comes to the first world war
>>
File: 71iECtGXxgL.jpg (162KB, 658x1000px) Image search: [Google]
71iECtGXxgL.jpg
162KB, 658x1000px
the best book on the central powers that I've had the pleasure of reading
>>
>>3212722

I'm just finishing "A World Undone" now, and I agree that it is probably the best possible introduction to the Great War, and because the author does such a great job filling in background information, it would also work well as an introduction to European History in general.

As for "The Guns of August", I've heard that book is overrated, overly anglo-centric (not giving sufficient time or attention to the German point of view), and contains numerous inaccuracies. What do you think about it?
>>
>>3212789
Not that anon, but I have read it. It definetly overloads on the British perspective, there's like three whole chapters about the process of britain deciding to join the war, and half a chapter on the german military preparations for it.

It's a good read, dunno about the accuracy
>>
File: 71u9tyiCvoL.jpg (166KB, 907x1360px) Image search: [Google]
71u9tyiCvoL.jpg
166KB, 907x1360px
>>3211126
One of the best books I have ever read and certainly the most enlightening to the machinations of the industrial dynasty. The introduction alone gave me shivers.
>>
Any good books on the Victorian era? fascist italy is fine too
>>
>>3212902

I've always been a fan of "organizational" histories, books that explore the life not of a person, or a country, but rather a specific organization, whether it be a corporation, government agency, or criminal mafia, how that organization evolved over time, what impact it had on world events, and vice versa. This seems like it has serious potential.
>>
>>3212902
looks interesting ill give this one a peak
>>
>>3212990
*peek, im a fucking retard
>>
File: 60432.jpg (22KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
60432.jpg
22KB, 314x475px
I need to check out his book on Augustus.
>>
>>3211126
>>3211126

I would specifically like a recommendation regarding the 1917 October Revolution in Russia, and/or its aftermath. This is a tricky subject because I want to avoid both Bolshevik apologists and Romanov apologists. I want a clean, balanced account of what actually happened, if such a thing is even possible.
>>
Even if you don't like the Bolsheviks Trotsky's History of the Russian Revolution is an excellent history. Similarly Sukhanov's account of the Russian Revolution is good and non-Bolshevik if you want that
>>
File: US_Grant_in_1885.jpg (166KB, 800x941px) Image search: [Google]
US_Grant_in_1885.jpg
166KB, 800x941px
>>3211126
If /his/ actually read that book as I did they would not be on Napoleon's cock in the way that they are. While Roberts is clearly fascinated and sympathetic to Napoleon he doesn't shy away from his glaring inadequacies and unsurpassed hypocrisy.
It is an excellent read though.

For my money I'd recommend what I'm reading now
>Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant
Always fun to have a primary source and so far my conclusion is he's a very interesting man with a /feel/ packed life, a giant who lived in a time and place that is wildly misunderstood.
>>
File: Memoirs_of_Hadrian.jpg (34KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
Memoirs_of_Hadrian.jpg
34KB, 336x500px
>>3211126

This is probably the most well written historical book i have read, and really takes you back to an exotic and at the same time familiar Roman Empire.

The other work of her during the middle ages is also 10\10.

Never see many people talking about it, but in its native French this is a work of fucking art.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (12KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
12KB, 183x275px
>>3212722
World Undone, absolutely, Guns of August I agree with what this anon >>3212789
has heard; it's overrated, maybe because of the Cuban Missile Crisis connection. It's just a military history of the first month of the war with better prose than usual. I prefer Clark's Sleepwalkers, though the two books don't cover the exact same subjects and Sleepwalkers is much longer.

>>3212787
Seconded, 2/3rds of the way through and it's fantastic. Nice to get the social and economic history along with military/political stuff. The framing of the book also nicely sidesteps the war cause debate and gets right into what was actually going on in Germany and Austria-Hungary during the war.

I'd also recommend Dreadnought and Castles of Steel by Robert K. Massie. Dreadnought is about the anglo-german naval arms race and related diplomatic developments leading up to the war. Castles of Steel is about naval operations during the war, which are often dealt with in a page or two in general histories (World Undone has like 2 paragraphs on Jutland and nothing else about surface naval operations), but seem pretty damn important and epic when given center stage. Massie writes well and gives interesting biographical sketches of the main admirals--Beatty, the British battlecruiser admiral, was a piece of work, as was his wife.
>>
>>3212946
If you're at all an angloboo or interested in naval history, you have to read N.A.M. Rodger's multi-volume "Naval History of Britain," which, by halfway through the first volume becomes an institutional history of the Royal Navy.
I found the first volume, The Safeguard of the Sea, to be a bit of a slog until I got to the Elizabethan era, but the second volume, The Command of the Ocean, was really excellent. The third and final volume is supposedly coming out next year.
>>
>>3213235
That's not true at all, I read it and it made me appreciate Napoleon and his genius more than ever. Especially learning about the 1814 campaign which I'd never heard of before. Also the section on Russia gave me more feels than anything I've read.
>Drummer boys playing the march into pits with their soldiers after being captured and prepared to be buried alive by russian peasants.
>The Dutch sappers who gave their lives wading through freezing rivers to erect a bridge that saved tens of thousands of soldiers.
>Neys rear guard action
What was really hard to stomach though wasn't the defeats, it was the betrayals as his power waned.
The book also exposes you to what a huge cunt Tsar Alexander was.
>>
>>3213255
hmm..any specific reccs for her middle ages material?
>>
>>3213335
There is only one I think, its about an alchemist\scientists right smack in the middle of the renaissance workers revolution, you know better sewing machines etc. The first factories. And increasing tension between reformists and Catholics.

In English its called The Abyss, but I love its original name , which is The Work in Black. Which was alchemical term famous during the middle ages.

I love her more than Umberto Eco, she really has a knack to transport you into a specific time era in such a dreamlike way I cant describe. Its the best fusion of historical accuracy and literature I have ever seen. Yet I really never see much about her.
>>
>>3213346
Oh okay I saw that one I thought there were more. Hope it reads as well in English as in French.
>>
>>3213331
>tfw you're defending the revolution but also running out of European thrones to sit your brothers on.
>tfw a soldier under your command rapes a girl on her mothers cadaver.
>tfw you send millions of french men into futile and unwinnable wars, abattoirs on all fronts and then have the temerity to screech "betrayal" when your people don't consent to you murdering their sons and old too as Russians ravage the country you're sworn to protect.

the bones of Frenchmen, scattered in every region, bear witness to our fidelity. - de Lafayette

He was a disaster, you probably haven't read the book and regardless you're a napoleboo idiot.
>>
>>3211126
Just finished this, anyone have more good books about the time period, especially revolutionary/napoleonic france
>>
>>3213459
His brothers were a mistake. The only one likely capable of running a country, Lucien, was estranged from Napoleon over his marriage. If you still believe this shit then it's probably you who haven't read it, since the vast majority of those conflicts were defensive and even the ones that weren't (Russia) he tried to avoid. I'll give you a good quote from the Amiens chapter to show how he tried to avoid conflict.
>>
File: bloodlands.jpg (47KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
bloodlands.jpg
47KB, 312x475px
Obligatory
>>
File: Stalingradbook.jpg (22KB, 220x339px) Image search: [Google]
Stalingradbook.jpg
22KB, 220x339px
isnt there a list of /his/ approved history books?
>>
>>3213551
Great book and Berlin 1945 is a great follow up
>being a German citizen in late 1944 and realizing millions of mongoloid bolsheviks are coming your way for revenge to completely obliterate your way of life
Scary desu but obviously they had it coming thanks to that autist Hitler

>>3213531
This looks interesting
>>
File: unlikely.jpg (40KB, 338x499px) Image search: [Google]
unlikely.jpg
40KB, 338x499px
Unlikely Warrior

It's a book about a soldier from Vienna fighting on the eastern front, retreating and then being captured.
The kind of book that you start reading and then you'll finish it in one go. I suggest a map of Eastern Europe so you can try to trace his path.
For all you Germany haters, he is a Jew.
>>
File: wlliam manchester.jpg (44KB, 310x499px) Image search: [Google]
wlliam manchester.jpg
44KB, 310x499px
A look at one of the most mercurial American military leaders of the 20th century. MacArthur was a very strange figure; incompetence, arrogance, brilliance, ruthless self-promotion, and great intelligence were all united in a single figure. MacArthur swung for the big hits, and caused disasters and miracles. He was one of the most egregious glory-hogs I have ever read of, and it is easy for me to see why many of the soldiers that fought for him in the Pacific despised him.
>>
I'd say any book done by Max Hastings is a decent read, quite long though.
>>
I suggest this in every /his/lit/ thread.

This is a collection of stories about various naval encounters that went horribly wrong. They are divided by cause (bad luck, bad planning, insane commanders, etc.)

Both this and Great Military Blunders are very interesting reads.
>>
>>3211126
Just finished reading Max Hastings' Armageddon: The Battle for Germany 1944-45
Highly recommend it
>>
File: dogger.jpg (394KB, 1807x1384px) Image search: [Google]
dogger.jpg
394KB, 1807x1384px
>>3213589
Same author as the Krupp book, for what it's worth.

>>3213600
Seems very interesting. When things go wrong at sea, they can go really wrong. Every time the dogger bank copypasta gets posted on this board people lose their shit because it's so crazy.
>>
>>3213600
Can't find it anywhere.

Is it the same as:How to Lose a War at Sea: Foolish Plans and Great Naval Blunders by William Morrow?
>>
>>3213647
What is wrong with you
https://www.google.com/search?q=geoffrey+regan+book+of+naval+blunders&oq=geoffrey+regan+&aqs=chrome.5.0j69i57j0l4.7544j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
>>
>>3213660
I want it NOW and for FREE.

Only books I buy are damaged ones, 4 for 10€. Plus, how can you read a book about ships and not pirat it?
>>
>>3213675
so buy a used one on amazon???
>>
File: Richardburtonarabicdress.jpg (28KB, 492x657px) Image search: [Google]
Richardburtonarabicdress.jpg
28KB, 492x657px
>>3213630

He has another book I want to read called A World Lit Only By Fire: The Medieval Mind and the Renaissance, but from what I have heard it contains many older ideas about the Middle Ages that are no longer popular in current academic thinking. Still, I enjoyed his prose style and will probably try it out.
>>
>>3213630
Honestly it sounds like a living nightmare. No wonder they had to press thousands of men into service.
>>
>>3213575
ok this sounds neat
>>
File: alexiad.jpg (55KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
alexiad.jpg
55KB, 325x500px
Help me out /his/
Has someone read pic related?
>Is it good?
>Is it accurate?
>do i need to know something before reading it?

thanks guys
>>
>>3213053
I would also like some recommendation on this since we're near the 100th Anniversary.
>>
>>3213486
>I'll give you a good quote from the Amiens chapter to show how he tried to avoid conflict.
Give quote then
>>
What do y'all think of pic related?
>>
>>3213960
Tbh I sat at my PC and typed up a whole 2000 character post with it and it was perfect, posted it and 4chan ate it because something was wrong with my image. I'll give it another go in a little bit.
>>
>>3213908
>neat
It will crush you. You can not imagine the amount of suffering people are able to endure.
>>
File: ride tiger.jpg (30KB, 538x575px) Image search: [Google]
ride tiger.jpg
30KB, 538x575px
>>
>>3213989
neat
>>
>>3213575
What does this say about the execution of Jews on the Eastern front? Any mention of camps, Einzatzgruppen or the like?
>>
File: sunlight.jpg (37KB, 395x600px) Image search: [Google]
sunlight.jpg
37KB, 395x600px
An absolute must read on the Vietnam War era
>>
File: mil rev.jpg (59KB, 325x499px) Image search: [Google]
mil rev.jpg
59KB, 325x499px
Nice collection of essays discussing the military evolution that took place in 15-17th century Europe.
>>
File: lost to the west.jpg (44KB, 297x450px) Image search: [Google]
lost to the west.jpg
44KB, 297x450px
A lot of you guys have probably already read this, or know enough about Byzantium that you don't need to read it. But if anyone is curious about the Byzantine empire and you have no idea where to start, I found that this book is a great overview.

Does anyone know of a good book about Ulysses Grant? I find his career arc compelling.
>>
>>3214123
please elaborate a bit.
>>
File: 1048631108.jpg (32KB, 330x499px) Image search: [Google]
1048631108.jpg
32KB, 330x499px
>>
File: 1492815971124.png (890KB, 577x2989px) Image search: [Google]
1492815971124.png
890KB, 577x2989px
>>3212916
pic related for fascist italy

a list of history books in this link are all related to victorian era
https://pastebin.com/NEkhdCeR
>>
File: IMG_7377.jpg (46KB, 332x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7377.jpg
46KB, 332x499px
God Is Red: The Secret Story of how Christianity Survived and Flourished in Communist China

Depressing but inspiring
>>
>>3211126
I want to be a Viking now
>>
File: 1500491517860.png (3MB, 887x7552px) Image search: [Google]
1500491517860.png
3MB, 887x7552px
>>3213053
>>3213947
pic related is a chart i made on lenin

for works on the russian revolution check out
https://pastebin.com/vqY1DtEt
https://pastebin.com/MbtsSZiN (ctrl f russia, mostly comparative works on revolutions)
russian civil war
https://pastebin.com/UXeqUWNd
>>
>>3214136
The first essay makes the case for calling that period a military revolution due to many factors including the emergence of large permanent standing armies under the direct control of the sovereign. I'm about to run off to work so I can't really type more right now sorry.
>>
>>3214150
>Liao Yiwu
Shiit. I read the one where he interviewed people involved in the massacre of the tiananmen square.

It's so fucked up, felt weird having a "normal life" after reading it. It's incredible how cruel the world can be.
>>
>>3214186
yo chart guy, can you post all your charts and pastebins you've made so far?
>>
>>3214253
pastebins are all found in here
https://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

I don't want to spam this thread with charts but if you make a chart thread i'll dump them there for you.
>>
>>3214186
>read an entire library
Oh, thanks, anon.

I respect anyone who is willing to get so familiar with a topic. But I think the real skill is to make you understand a topic in as few pages as possible. Especially in history there is so much to learn and understand that it is simply impossible to understand multiple areas deeply.
>>
>>3211590
>
Do want - creating a to-read list from here on, this comes in second place after Sun and Steel.
>>
>>3214315
yes i agree absolutely. i never intend for people to read every book on the lists i make. i haven't read most of the stuff i put in them. the point though is to give those people who do have a deep interest in a particular subject (i try to make ones on topics people on /his/ seem to be interested in) easy access to book titles. the hope is that they'll read the books that interest them most on the list and then are able to pass on more recommendations to others on /his/.

the other idea behind the charts is "didactic" you could say. it's to show that many historians write on historical subjects, that they have opposing views, and that there is no single, "clean" narrative behind history. its a rebuttal to people on here who claim that academia is "marxist" and that there is something evil about "revisionism," when the craft of history is inherently about taking into account new interpretations and new evidence (i.e. revisions).

it seems, though, that people get intimidated and confused by such a big list, which was never my intention. i try to organize the works into smaller categories, and i always put a section on introductory/general works for people who just want a synthesis of the period in the title. it's imperfect , however, as i often jumble up categories by mistake. I've also tried tagging other charts to identify the "beginner" books in a chart, so maybe i'll do that more. if i have more time in the future i'll also revisit the charts and cut them down to 5 to 10 essential works.
>>
File: 1496446882682.jpg (310KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1496446882682.jpg
310KB, 681x1024px
>>3214449
I admire your work, Anon, godspeed. Have you got a chart on the 100 year war, on anything that centers around the 12-15th century? It might be my favorite historical period, p-partly because neat armours and the battles fought then.
>>
>>3214449
Are you drawing these up from Oxford bibliographies? Some of them seem familiar.

t. Reference librarian
>>
File: 1502088108150.png (334KB, 700x900px) Image search: [Google]
1502088108150.png
334KB, 700x900px
>>3214476
thanks anon. the (You)s are appreciated
i've got this on the war of the roses, and charts on medieval peasantry, genoa, minor italian city states, brittany and medieval ireland, all of which overlap with that period
>>
>>3214492
they all are
>>3214296
all the pastebins are oxford bibliographies

i only make the format cleaner and collate works into themes i find are more appealing to /his/
>>
>>3211126
Andrew Johnson: Worst President or Why Impeachment Will Never Happen Even If The Government Really Wants It
>>
>>3214240
This book is the same. He is interviewing people in China. It's a good book for even someone who is secular because it exposes a lot of BS that goes on in China.
>>
>>3214590
>even someone who is secular
Are you implying there are people on this board that are not secular?
>>
>>3213923

This is an excellent read. The Penguin Classic edition (the newer one, which I read) will provide a good introduction to Anna's bias and other such issues as well as giving good footnotes.
>>
>>3214186
Jesus reading these pastebins is an eyesore for me.

Can you dump a chart on "World War II, Russo-German War"?
>>
File: 9780141032016.jpg (25KB, 258x400px) Image search: [Google]
9780141032016.jpg
25KB, 258x400px
Is there a difference between OP's and this one?
>>
>>3214619
Gonna read it then, thanks anon
>>
>>3214628
good question I've never noticed this before
>>
>>3214626
yes it's another reason why i make the bibliographies into charts kek. I'll try to make wwii eastern front one but i already have a lot of others to make so bear with me
>>
>>3214764
>>3214628
separate english and american editions or publishers, i think. the content is the same im 100% sure
>>
>>3213975
kek, I look forward to it lad
>>
>>3214296
>https://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
sorry I went to work, thanks for the pastebins it'll be enough
>>
>>3214186

>Just read volumes and volumes of communist literature!
>>
>>3215866
maybe i should remake the chart because the point wasn't to emphasize reading communist literature.... i usually order all the charts in this order: reference works->primary sources->secondary sources
>>
>>3214869
Oh I C
>>
>>3211126
The best book I've read on the phoenicians to date.
>>
>>3216584
what do you like about it? what makes it better than other books on the phoenicians?
>>
>>3213675
Speaking of ships and pirates,
any historical books on real life pirates during 1600-1700s?
>>
>>3214507
Hit me with any of those please, i'm a huge medieval fag
>>
File: dogma.jpg (201KB, 867x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dogma.jpg
201KB, 867x1200px
>>3214618
hi
>>
>ctrl+f
>no huizinga
Dissapointed
>>
Just finish reading pic related. Enjoyed it a lot and it's a decent overview of the man, although some sections of his life felt neglected. I also read Robin Lane Fox's "Alexander the Great" a year ago which was an excellent read.

Request: Anything on Meiji era Japan
>>
>>3216664
The depth in maritime and commerce aspects. Also the fact it provides much information on a topic rarely covered, Pre-Punic Western Phoenicians.
>>
>>3217287
http://intranet.ames.cam.ac.uk/jbib/
>>
>>3212946
Excellent Cadavers is a very good book on the Sicilian mafia in this vein
>>
>>3214131
Isn't this the guy that made the 12 Byzantine Rulers pidcast
>>
Anyone know any good books on Khalid Ibn Al Walid and Muhammad? Preferably biographies, but introd to to pre-islamic/early islamic arabia would be great.
>>
>>3217053
>>3217053
what should i be looking for with Huizinga?
>>
>>3219764
autumn of the middle ages (i think it also goes under the title waning of the middle ages)
>>
File: Trio.jpg (482KB, 976x1320px) Image search: [Google]
Trio.jpg
482KB, 976x1320px
Begone, utopians!
>>
>>3213263
>Be Beatty
>Leave on business
>Opps I forgot some papers
>Come back literally twenty minutes later and wife is already in bed with another man
>Don't do anything about it.

God what a cuck.
>>
What are /his/ thoughts on Fates of empires and search for survival by John Glubb?
>>
File: image.jpg (115KB, 870x870px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 870x870px
>>
>>3220375
>meme book
>approved
>>
>>3220375
Get that Jewish shit out of here
>>
>>3220375
>(((Guns, Jews, and Goyim)))
>(((Jared Diamond)))
>implies white people only got where they have today due to geographical determinism and mostly luck-based factors

No thanks
>>
>>3213969
Have heard good things but not read yet. Want to read though before volume 2 comes out.
>>
>>3220765
>>3220805
>>3220814

>Geography doesn't impact historical events
>>
>>3221599
I simply meant to say that there is MUCH more than geographical determinism at hand in the success of Western civilization (none of which is acknowledged by Diamond )and you as well as I know that's true.
>>
File: Mr. Peeps.jpg (285KB, 868x559px) Image search: [Google]
Mr. Peeps.jpg
285KB, 868x559px
These are all books about history, what about the books that are history?

Related: Samuel Pepys
>>
File: images.jpg (144KB, 723x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
144KB, 723x1080px
>>3212888
The Sleepwalkers is probably better than Guns. Goes into gritty details of pre-war politics and diplomacy and despite the heavy subject reads almost like a thriller.
>>
>>3211126

Recommend me a book on Medieval Europe. It can be a general history, a biography, or whatever. Preferably one that is available on Audible.
>>
File: nonstop warfare.jpg (281KB, 1936x1461px) Image search: [Google]
nonstop warfare.jpg
281KB, 1936x1461px
>>3213331
Stay mad, frog. I wish the Russians had scalped you all.
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 236x314px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 236x314px
>I Was Dr. Mengele's Assistant
The edition I got in Poland is riddled with syntax and spelling errors, but a pretty cool insight into the flippancy characteristic of Nazi medical experimentation and the Sonderkommando.

>The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang
Fuck Nips. Just kidding, but the part where even the Nazis were like "bro...." was pretty grand.

>Kill Anything that Moves by Nick Turse
Wacky adventures to win the affectations of Mary Jane Rottencrotch in Southeast Asia.

>the Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper
Has a fucking day by day weather report. Comprehensive.

>>3214099
Does anyone have anything about the Viet Cong specifically? I just wanna hear their perspective, cause they pulled some straight bullshit, too.
>>
File: Zhukovsgreatestdefeat.jpg (23KB, 294x450px) Image search: [Google]
Zhukovsgreatestdefeat.jpg
23KB, 294x450px
MANDATORY /his/ MEME INCOMING
>>
File: romanovs.jpg (68KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
romanovs.jpg
68KB, 334x500px
Bought this because the cover appealed to me. Seems like a nice book to read during long autumn/winter evenings. I hope I won't be disappointed.
>>
>>3219767
Ok thanks
>>
File: 93426.jpg (43KB, 292x450px) Image search: [Google]
93426.jpg
43KB, 292x450px
This was very enjoyable. I don't know what type of reputation Weatherford has on here. I know he's got another joint on the injuns that I hear is worth checking out.
>>
My man P-Hizzle is always raving about this book, has anyone here read it?
>>
>>3223311
>where even the Nazis were like "bro...."
you mean that german nazi red cross guy who save several hundred thousand chinese?
>>
>>3224610
also interested to hear an opinion on this I've heard mixed things
>>
>>3220375
Despite its well-owned criticism it's an interesting reading, and of course it's always good to know what (((they))) say about history, specifically about the superiority of the West
>>
Anything decent on the Korean War?
>>
>>3213600

this book is fucking hysterical btw

I never knew how pathetically inept the royal navy was before reading
>>
File: 1478856313318.jpg (2MB, 1600x1311px) Image search: [Google]
1478856313318.jpg
2MB, 1600x1311px
>>3211126
LOVE this book so good!
Here is an interview with the author:https://soundcloud.com/forerunner-4/andrew-roberts-napoleon-a-life-john-batchelor-show-18-6-15-from-youtube
>>
>>3226396
If you want more hilariously royal navy ineptitude, I'd recommend >>3213263.

>my face when Royal Navy submarine gets confused and starts stalking British Destroyers, calls for backup
>Backup sees submarine thinks its German, tells submarine U-boat is nearby

They didn't deserve to win the war.
>>
>>3211126
Read the one by Gibbs about Napoleon's Military Career, That's the title. But I just finished it and it was a solid read that really shows off Napoleon and the people he was around while citing what Napoleon was about and why he did the things he did.
>>
>>3226465

I'm trying to figure out if that image is stupid or fucking awesome. Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter, although some parts confuse me. WTF is France supposed to be? Some kind of mutant, elephant thing? Russia is predictably depicted as a bear, but it looks like it is dying and I'm guessing the flies and worms are supposed to be either Bolsheviks or unruly peasants?
>>
File: pol pot.jpg (37KB, 319x500px) Image search: [Google]
pol pot.jpg
37KB, 319x500px
Reading through this I really came to appreciate the utter inability that the Khmer Rouge showed in their administration of Cambodia.
Eye witness accounts combined with the reports from Chinese and Vietnamese officials give a truly gut-wrenching view on the suffering that they inflicted on the populace.
>>
>>3226509
Its from a YA novel where the Central Powers use steampunk technology and the Entente use genetically modified super animals. The main plot follows a British vat grown airship in the shape of a whale.

Its actually pretty good.
>>
>>3211126
This book is amazing, read "The Storm of War" by this guy as well. Its fantastic.
>>
Just as a side note, can I get some of the WORST /his/ books? Pic related made me realize Pat Buchanan is retarded.
>>
File: Mao's_Great_Famine.jpg (30KB, 200x308px) Image search: [Google]
Mao's_Great_Famine.jpg
30KB, 200x308px
>>3211126

has anyone read this? wanted to know if I should buy it or not
>>
File: 571920.jpg (27KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
571920.jpg
27KB, 316x475px
>>3226658

I wouldnt really say its bad history, but I found this really hard to get through and found it really boring
>>
Anyone have any good books on Marshals Ney and Murat?
>>
>>3213016
I just finished reading Augustus. Was a great read.
>>
File: 6 gorillion.jpg (3MB, 1521x2339px) Image search: [Google]
6 gorillion.jpg
3MB, 1521x2339px
>>3226658

>it was real in my mind
>>
File: his approved lit.jpg (2MB, 1955x3000px) Image search: [Google]
his approved lit.jpg
2MB, 1955x3000px
what can we add to this chart?
>>
>>3212416
are there any other contemporary books that are also an easy read for other obscure presidents?
>>
What's babby's first imperial Chinese history book?
>>
File: 9780679643708_l.jpg (31KB, 333x400px) Image search: [Google]
9780679643708_l.jpg
31KB, 333x400px
>>3227196
The definitive military history of the Civil War
>>
File: Collision of Empires.jpg (44KB, 324x499px) Image search: [Google]
Collision of Empires.jpg
44KB, 324x499px
>>3227196
I think this could go on there. Anyone looking to read on the Eastern Front of WWI should read this.
>>
>>3226590
I tried to find a download of that book but was unable to so I started reading Brother Number One: A Political Biography by David Chandler. What I found the most surprising was the secrecy of the regime.
>>
>>3221611
Really he only uses icalgeographical determinism for old world Eurasia vs The New World, Australia, and SS Africa. He actually does acknowledge cultural and political factors that led to western dominance, mostly in the epilogue
>>
>>3223426
It's pretty good, nice to hear about whatever kind of scandal or drama that occured inside the palace.
>>
>>3227196
Peter the Great by Massie
Ghost Wars by Steve Coll
>>
Best book on The Winter War? I think I remember seeing one rec'd in a previous thread
>>
>>3227670
Not the best book but good for beginners is Osprey's Finland at war 1939-1940, it has a segment explaining the lead up to the civil war (1918) and up to the winter war wich helps a little when mapping out the conflict, it's richly illustrated and a good read. But It's pretty expensive, 34 bucks but it's on sale for 23 on amazon.
>>
>>3227790
Heres the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/147280631X/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502440193&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=finland+at+war&dpPl=1&dpID=51ewC9btObL&ref=plSrch

So that you look at the elite series with the same name.
>>
>>3227806
Don't look at*
>>
>>3211199
Real shit, quotes primary sources all the time, and cross references them to call out Napoleon's exaggerations when he says he captured this many guns (and its actually a third of that).
Actually does a very good job contrasting propaganda and fact. Other books cite only the propaganda, either from the British or the French.

This is my favorite history related book, Roberts is just a very tiny bit little subtly biased, in a pleasant way, and is overall objective and where he makes any comments or shares opinions he marks them as such, so you can tell them from the rest of the factual text.
>>
>>3212787
The best book on the Germans in WWI, you mean. It doesn't talk about Bulgaria or Turkey.
>>
Do you buy physical? If so, new or used?
Or do you read electronic? If so, do you pay or pirate?
>>
>>3227790
Is it one of those books that insist Finland won the Winter War, because Soviets are the bad guys and we can't have them look strong?
>>
>>3226660
Don't buy books that have such a strong bias and message on the cover. The bias may be correct and informed by facts, but it being made so plain and clear is a signal for a bad book pushing ideology.
>>
>>3227994
Focuses more on the military part of the war so doubt it.
>>
File: finland.png (727KB, 657x2470px) Image search: [Google]
finland.png
727KB, 657x2470px
>>3227994
>>3228572
>>3227670
>>
>>3227994
Nah like another anon mentioned they are almost entirely about the military. They do give a short background though.
>>
>>3226658
Niall Ferguson's empire book. Even if you're a conservative you should dismiss it as trash
>>
>>3223236
The main thing I learned from Sleepwalkers is that Serbia was a terrorist state run by a crazy revanchist cabal.

>>3224498
Interesting in some ways, but it's a meme book, IMO. The recent wave of Mongol revisionism is fueled by a postmodernist refusal to take seriously the historiography of their victims and a superficial resemblance between some of their policies and modern progressivism, e.g. their religious toleration.
>>
File: Keay.jpg (37KB, 332x499px) Image search: [Google]
Keay.jpg
37KB, 332x499px
>>3227263
China: A History, by John Keay. I've also heard that Fairbanks is a good introduction.
>>
>>3227988
Anon could have worded their post more carefully, but it's not like the book advertises itself falsely. "Germany and Austria-Hungary in WWI" is right in the title.

I think it would be a great addition to >>3227196 , but I'm a bit confused by the purpose of the chart. It's 40% WWI and related and 60 percent everything else. Also, I don't think 1493 is scholarly enough to be up there, though I'm admittedly basing that on my opinion of 1491 and haven't read 1493.
>>
>>3229226
because of this article?
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n21/pankaj-mishra/watch-this-man
>>
>>3229691
>that Serbia was a terrorist state run by a crazy revanchist cabal.
lmao it's the exact opposite. clark clearly explains that it was more of a rogue conspiratorial elements in the serbian state run by Apis (who got executed by pasic eventually, though i'm not sure for the reasons in the book). not everyone was in on it and while there were many associates and sympathizers not everyone was certainly supportive of it, especially the parliamentary government. as clark imo demonstrated the pasic had pretty much outmaneuvered the military and the other praetorian elements in 1914 but he couldn't stop them from carrying out their plot, and he probably has only a small inkling of what they were going to do.
>>
>>3211126
Arian of Nicomedia's Conquests of Alexander. This was a good book. Lots of long names.
>>
>>3227286
my nigga
>>
>>3227989
Physical and New.

Sometimes used if the artwork is booboo on the new editions.
>>
File: 3487462.jpg (22KB, 265x400px) Image search: [Google]
3487462.jpg
22KB, 265x400px
>>3211126
I absolutely loved this book for its emphasis on the unification of the heart and soul of Italy. After reading, I am convinced that the collapse of the Western Roman Empire was a much bigger deal than I had ever imagined. Not to mention that Napoleon had a hand in the formation of unified Italy.
>>
>>3230308
> am convinced that the collapse of the Western Roman Empire was a much bigger deal than I had ever imagined.
because of its responsibility for italy's 1000 year fragmentation?
>>
>>3230314
Yes, fragmentation among other things, more specifically the cronyism, familial dynasties and bureaucratic corruption. After the WRE fell, there weren't any bodies of government or groups of people who cared about a unified state until 1796, when Napoleon invaded. It took more than 100 years for liberalism to attempt to unify a body of people who all saw themselves as Italians but spoke different dialects, were concerned about family over country and saw themselves as fundamentally different due to climate, just to exhibit a few examples. Imagine trying to define what the national idea of Italy is to a Sicilian and a Venetian, you will get wildly differing ideas.
>>
>>3219828
Can anyone recommend something about Papal state or better yet something about Borgias. But I don't want literature that maakes them apriori evil or something silly like fedora tier shit.
>>
File: Italian city-states.png (2MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Italian city-states.png
2MB, 1440x900px
>>3230360
I know it's not much, but here's a reading list on minor Italian city-states in general.
>>
>>3230574
>tfw i never have made those major city-state charts yet
feels bad man. i've basically collected and organized all the stuff for a venetian chart and a milanese one, but it'll take a bit more organizing to get a finished chart. florence is a gigantic topic i wont touch for the forseeable future, given the huge amount of english scholarship on medieval and renaissance italy is focused on that city. i've also got a lot of works on the papal states but its in an unorganized format right now
>>
File: his approved literature.png (3MB, 2029x900px) Image search: [Google]
his approved literature.png
3MB, 2029x900px
>>3227196
I put all the suggestions from this thread (alongside a bunch of other ones I had from earlier threads) into a series of charts.
>>
>>3230675
Nice we need more of these
>>
>>3212607
dude why haven't you read the Vita Karoli Magni by Einhard? Here's an English translation https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Vita_Karoli_Magni
>>
File: his approved literature part 2.png (3MB, 2052x900px) Image search: [Google]
his approved literature part 2.png
3MB, 2052x900px
>>3230675
And the (as of yet incomplete) part two.
>>
>>3230601
For some reason I'm much more drawn to Venetian and Milanese history than Florentine. I like to think it's because Venice is so unique and Milan had the best chance of uniting northern Italy and keeping out the frogs and austrians, but am I just being contrarian? Sell me on Florence's political/economic/military history.
>>
>>3230694
Pic related is great on the material effects of the end of the WRE and the historiography of Late Antiquity (200-800ad).
>>
>>3229736
I'm the OP of that chart (Architect btw). I read history as a hobby and those are books that were recommended to me by /his/ or that were posted while I lurked. I did the chart for a book thread to post books that I had read or was in the process of reading that I enjoyed and thought were great overviews of topics. I am definitely open to adding more books to it for me to read but for our collective knowledge and basics.

I like this thread a lot btw, cause there are individual books being posted rather than full bibliographies, which are overwhelming for amateurs like me.
>>
>>3230725
desu I agree with you. The problem I have is that Florence has been analyzed to death and there is little left to squeeze out of it. What has been discovered imo also makes it seem like a mediocre city. It was politically unstable, in constant financial straits and debt and a mediocre military power. Its becoming a territorial state is nonetheless interesting. Florence is one of THE best documented cities of the middle ages, because its government autistically kept records of everything (which tells you something about how far it was developed as a state compared to other medieval polities) and probably more important is the fact it didn't get destroyed. The Medicis were popularized by Burkhardt (the 19th century OG of renaissance studies), but while clever manipulators, professional historical studies have shown them to be nothing more than nepotistic cunts who basically robbed the florentine state treasury for their self-indulgent cultural projects. The real interesting parts of Florentine history, then, are not in the Medici period (though you'll find the best cultural stuff there), but in the 13th and 14th centuries when it was a republic proper with an ebullient economy that made it one of the financial and industrial (textile manufacturers) in Europe. By the time of the Medicis Florence as an economic power stagnated if not outright declined; which is not the Medici's faults entirely, as the Black Death and the century and a half after are said to be a time og economic stagnation in a lot of Europe (though that is a contested historical subject). Medici international finance banks failed in 1492, but the real engine of florentine prosperity, the wool industry, had been gutted a long time before that.
>>
>>3230836
Thanks anon, very interesting.
>>
>>3230836
I'll also say the problem of Florentine studies is that the intention, as I see it, it to find some sort of "proto-liberal" democracy in the making, either politically or in the ideology of civic humanism or of machiavelli. On the contrary, Milan and Venice have a certain mystique to me because there are way less english language works on the two cities, especially Milan. Venice and Milan were also richer, larger and prosperous for longer than Florence. I dont think Florence ever reached the 100k population that Milan did. Milan also kept its financial and industrial power for a long time and never really ceased to be a city of industry, which can explain why it was one of the centers of Italy's industrial revolution in the late 19th century (alongside Turin and Genoa, which together with Milan made up the "Industrial Triangle" where all heavy industry and big industrial corporations were located). Venice, to me, has an eastern exotic flair because of its role in the trade with the levant and the possessions in the eastern mediterranean it kept for centuries. It also had a very different type of oligarchical system than Florence, too, that was more stable (to the point of stagnation after a certain point) and enterprising.
>>
>>3230866
np, I'll try to finish the milanese and venetian charts for you this weekend
>>
File: 1502479783796m-1.jpg (26KB, 339x381px) Image search: [Google]
1502479783796m-1.jpg
26KB, 339x381px
>>3230574
>I know it's not much

DUDE...... Thank you so much. This was my first post on this board so believe when I say that this us more then enough.
>>
>>3227989
I go to the library and check out all of my books
>>
Any good books on the revolution in China? Id prefer it covering the beginning or almost everything up until now. At least going over the crazy shit mao did.
>>
>>3231594
Which revolution?
>>
>>3231603
Basically the Chinese civil war and beyond. Communist China.
>>
>>3224610
I've read it. It's literally just a history of debt relations between the powers.
>>
>>3226887
/pol/ please go
>>
Arabs: A History
>>
>>3224498
It's good till it starts getting into what the author thinks is a direct result of the Mongol invasions. What would be indirect results start coming across as direct results.
>>
File: Korea.jpg (38KB, 375x499px) Image search: [Google]
Korea.jpg
38KB, 375x499px
>>3226344
Best book I've ever read about it. He also wrote Best and The Brightest about US getting into Vietnam.
>>
>>3229704
Is it good? I've heard John Keay can be pretty dry.
>>
File: 41J6D-GNI7L.jpg (31KB, 312x500px) Image search: [Google]
41J6D-GNI7L.jpg
31KB, 312x500px
Dumping mine. Good book on how Western thought developed and all the philosophy that went into it. Can be biased at times.
>>
Good book on Andrew Jackson and his presidency
>>
Book about the myths that are told about the Spanish conquest of Latin America.
>>
File: 19631.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
19631.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
Book about the history of England up until the start of the Tudors. Has a sequel that I haven't got yet, but it's a good book.
>>
File: Africa bio.jpg (36KB, 291x450px) Image search: [Google]
Africa bio.jpg
36KB, 291x450px
Decent book on the History of Africa. Wish I could find more on sub-Saharan Africa.
>>
File: Bismarck.jpg (18KB, 225x346px) Image search: [Google]
Bismarck.jpg
18KB, 225x346px
Good book on Bismarck. Author is slightly biased towards him, but doesn't bend him over and buttfuck him either.
>>
File: born in blood.jpg (31KB, 231x346px) Image search: [Google]
born in blood.jpg
31KB, 231x346px
Decent book on the history of Latin America. The author is very biased towards left wind ideology, but doesn't ruin the book either.
>>
File: Bruce Catton.jpg (24KB, 192x288px) Image search: [Google]
Bruce Catton.jpg
24KB, 192x288px
Good book on the history of the Civil War and doesn't take too long to read either. Under 300 pages.
>>
File: Caesar.jpg (8KB, 200x306px) Image search: [Google]
Caesar.jpg
8KB, 200x306px
Great book on Caesar of Julius type. Goes in depth on what he was like.
>>
File: Civil War.jpg (61KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
Civil War.jpg
61KB, 330x500px
Best book I've read on the Civil War. Goes from after American Mexican War up until Lincoln's assassination.
>>
File: Comanche.jpg (102KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Comanche.jpg
102KB, 600x400px
Book about the Comanche and the Indian Wars in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico.
>>
File: destiny disrupted.jpg (63KB, 337x500px) Image search: [Google]
destiny disrupted.jpg
63KB, 337x500px
Quick paced narrative about the history of Islam from the POV of someone that grew up in Afghanistan, I think before the Soviet invasion of it.
>>
File: e761db5dfa.gif (51KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
e761db5dfa.gif
51KB, 310x475px
Famous book about how the US was dragged into the Vietnam war
>>
File: First Wolrd War.jpg (151KB, 422x650px) Image search: [Google]
First Wolrd War.jpg
151KB, 422x650px
Good book on WWI that is easy to get through.
>>
File: Gordon Craig Germany.jpg (21KB, 320x499px) Image search: [Google]
Gordon Craig Germany.jpg
21KB, 320x499px
Great book from the rise of The German Empire to the fall of Third Reich.
>>
>>3227203
I have a whole library of them. If the thread survives the next day I will post some.
>>
File: Heart of Europe.jpg (66KB, 331x499px) Image search: [Google]
Heart of Europe.jpg
66KB, 331x499px
Long book on Holy Roman Empire. Goes into various aspects of it.
>>
File: History of Philosophy.jpg (34KB, 322x499px) Image search: [Google]
History of Philosophy.jpg
34KB, 322x499px
Another book about the history of Western philosophy
>>
File: Hitler.jpg (37KB, 499x375px) Image search: [Google]
Hitler.jpg
37KB, 499x375px
Best book I've ever read on Hitler and Nazi Germany
>>
File: Kaiser Holocaust.jpg (35KB, 280x430px) Image search: [Google]
Kaiser Holocaust.jpg
35KB, 280x430px
Book about German colonization of Western Africa.
>>
File: Kendrick Vikings.jpg (22KB, 260x394px) Image search: [Google]
Kendrick Vikings.jpg
22KB, 260x394px
Older book about the Vikings and what they did.
>>
File: King Leopold's Ghost.jpg (30KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
King Leopold's Ghost.jpg
30KB, 313x475px
Great book about the Belgian colonization in the Congo and the effects of Leopold.
>>
File: lincoln.jpg (53KB, 325x499px) Image search: [Google]
lincoln.jpg
53KB, 325x499px
General book on Lincoln and the relationship he had with his generals.
>>
File: Martin Gilbert.jpg (38KB, 324x499px) Image search: [Google]
Martin Gilbert.jpg
38KB, 324x499px
Very detailed book on WWI
>>
File: muhamad.jpg (17KB, 166x250px) Image search: [Google]
muhamad.jpg
17KB, 166x250px
Decent bio on Islam's prophet. Can be a little apologetic, but does admit Muhammad's crimes.
>>
File: Napoleon.jpg (14KB, 265x400px) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon.jpg
14KB, 265x400px
Decent bio on Napoleon, and how he could be an egomaniac at times.
>>
File: Papacy.jpg (32KB, 226x346px) Image search: [Google]
Papacy.jpg
32KB, 226x346px
History of the papacy, to include all of the corruption involved in it.
>>
File: persian fire.jpg (48KB, 324x500px) Image search: [Google]
persian fire.jpg
48KB, 324x500px
Book on the rise of Persia and invasions of Greece. Goes into Athenian and Spartan life as well.
>>
File: reformation.jpg (52KB, 326x500px) Image search: [Google]
reformation.jpg
52KB, 326x500px
Very long very detailed book on the Reformation. Goes into theology. Probably should know a bit beforehand, or you might get lost in the weeds.
>>
File: Roosevelt and Churchill.jpg (50KB, 325x499px) Image search: [Google]
Roosevelt and Churchill.jpg
50KB, 325x499px
Book on the friendship between Churchill and Roosevelt.
>>
File: sam houston.jpg (34KB, 307x474px) Image search: [Google]
sam houston.jpg
34KB, 307x474px
Decent book on Sam Houston
>>
File: Stalin.jpg (81KB, 500x770px) Image search: [Google]
Stalin.jpg
81KB, 500x770px
Apparently one of the first books on Stalin after they opened the Soviet archives.
>>
File: the glorious cause.jpg (35KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
the glorious cause.jpg
35KB, 310x475px
Book I'm reading now about the American Revolution. Would recommend Oxford History books. All have been good I've read so far.
>>
File: Three Emperors.jpg (32KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Three Emperors.jpg
32KB, 450x450px
Great book on the history leading up to WWI. One of the best history books I've read as far as enjoyment of reading. Decent scholarship too.
>>
File: vietnam's southern.jpg (10KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
vietnam's southern.jpg
10KB, 200x300px
Book on why people joined the VC during Vietnam War.
>>
>>3226658
People's History of the United States by Zinn
>>
Would these:
>>3230694
>>3230675
>>3227196
be decent entry level reads for a brainlet like me?
>>
>>3232583
I haven't read all of them but I would say yes from what I have read.

If you're really worried, just read up a little on wikipedia and watch a couple videos online about a subject before starting a book
>>
>>3232603
aight sweet
any specific books you'd recommend? I mean any periods/people you're interested in? I'm up toread pretty much anything
>>
What's a good book that covers the crusades from both sides?
>>
>>3232827
I'm the anon who recommended these (>>3227661), though they weren't added to any of those charts (yet). They're both pretty great and user friendly and could lead you to a ton of other things
>>
>>3211126
Obligatory guns, germs and steel shitpost
>>
File: CUATE.png (147KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
CUATE.png
147KB, 480x480px
>>3232900
will check those out, thanks a bunch btw
>>
>>3232365
>1920: The Year of Six Presidents
>A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents
>A Companion to the Reconstruction Presidents
>After the White House: Former Presidents as Private Citizens
>FDR's Folly
>Imperfect Presidents: Tales of Misadventure and Triumph
>My Fellow Citizens: The Inaugural Addresses of the Presidents of the United States
>Presidents and Civil Liberties: From Wilson to Obama
>Presidents' War: Six American Presidents and the Civil War that Divided Them
>Presidents: A Biographical Dicitonary
>Project President
>Recarving Rushmore
>Religion in the Oval Office: The Religious Lives of American Presidents
>Speeches of the American Preisdents
>The Case for Combat-How Presidents Persuade Americans to Go to War
>The Forgotten Presidents-Their Untold Constitutional Legacy (repeats some old myths though)
>The Myth of Presidential Representation
>The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents from Wilson to Obama (I KNOW I KNOW BUT UNLIKE OTHER BOOKS FROM THE SERIES THIS ONE IS ACTUALLY WORTH A DAMN)
>The Presidents and the Constitution-A Living History
>The President's First Year-None Were Prepared, Some Never Learned-Why the Only School for Presidents Is the Presidency
>U.S. Presidents and Foreign Policy Mistakes
>Untrodden Ground-How Presidents Interpret the Constitution
>When Life Strikes the President Scandal, Death, and Illness in the White House
>When Presidents Lie-A History of Official Deception and Its Consequences

I skipped a lot of books.
I cannot guarantee that all will be free of errors. I think that even though the historiography about American presidents is very rich it's also full of mistakes and biases in favor of presidents "with a vision". Many book repeat old myths unfortunately and I usually check the sections from Wilson to FDR as I think those are usually the most vulnerable to bad history. I guess biographies about lesser known persidents should be safer. American Enigma (about Coolidge) for example.
>>
>>3213969
There's so many good books about Stalin and we still learn new things about him. I think the most recent one (by Oleg Khlevniuk?) is getting good reviews and there's one about his death too.

Anyone here read Parallel Lives about Hitler and Stalin?
>>
>>3223311
>the Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper

There's so much uncertainty regarding the case this might be the safest one to read. I'd also recommend pic related. It perfectly recreates the atmosphere. Starts with the introduction to the history of Whitechapel, lives of the people in late 1880s before it gets to the murderers you can feel something big is about to go down.
>>
>>3226344
>>
>>3232404
His other book has the abridged version. I read it to learn what the hell HRE even was.
>>
History of Poland in two volumes.
>>
File: 9780143039389.jpg (38KB, 292x450px) Image search: [Google]
9780143039389.jpg
38KB, 292x450px
I wish I had time to make a chart with essential books about Antarctic expeditions. But this one is a must read. People should know more about badass stories like this.
>>
>>3232412

Read Volker Ullrich's Hitler bio. Only the first volume is out but I think it's a great extension.
>>
Boy I sure hope this won't get deleted for some reason.
Anyway in case you were somewhat interested in the case.
>>
>>3227263
>>3229704
I've read Fairbank's book and it was a pretty good primer. He really speeds through the early dynasties though when considering it's only 450 pages and the second half the of the book only covers the 20th century.

It definitely helped me understand the basic trends of chinese history as well as the eras I was more interested it (Tang to Song).
>>
>>3233681
and why are you suggesting this would get deleted? this isn't some sort of columbine truther garbage is it?
>>
>>3233757
Because it's mainly about the thing that happened in 1999. Although it talks about everything that happened before so I guess it should be safe.
Other than the book written by Sue Klebold, mother of one of the killers, this is the only that can be safely recommended. Brooks Brown was friends with the shooters and the books is quite thorough. As the title suggests it doesn't simplify the reasons like some other books did.
>>
>>3233328
Is that pic related or another one?
>>
>>3233958
Yes.
>>
>>3232303
I did think Keay's India book was quite dry, but China not at all.

>>3233702
Keay is 520 pages and doesn't get to the 20th century until about 475. Much more focused on Imperial China than the Fairbanks.
>>
>>3233809
Oh OK neat I'll check it out
>>
>>3233343
this looks interesting. I've been reading so many war history books lately, this might be a good change of pace.
>>
Best books on nuclear weapons/intrigue? Anything from creation, warfare, espionage, etc

Also best books on the IRA?
>>
Time to fire up Amazon again
>>
File: tragedy of great power politics.jpg (45KB, 331x499px) Image search: [Google]
tragedy of great power politics.jpg
45KB, 331x499px
Book that states why Great Power War is inevitable
>>
>>3236583
>inevitable
what's his argument. curious to hear it
>>
File: his approved literature part 2.png (4MB, 2060x900px) Image search: [Google]
his approved literature part 2.png
4MB, 2060x900px
OP of >>3230675 and >>3230694 here. I found enough material in this thread to finish two, part three, and half of part four.
>>
File: His approved literature part 3.png (3MB, 2052x900px) Image search: [Google]
His approved literature part 3.png
3MB, 2052x900px
>>3237180
>>
File: His approved literature part 4.png (2MB, 2060x900px) Image search: [Google]
His approved literature part 4.png
2MB, 2060x900px
>>3237181
And the as-of-yet incomplete part 4.
If you have any recommendations that aren't in the previous charts or >>3227196 feel free to post it.
>>
>>3237191
Also, I made a separate chart for >>3233288
>>
File: 1491530624178 copy.png (4MB, 2085x1375px) Image search: [Google]
1491530624178 copy.png
4MB, 2085x1375px
>>3237181
like pic related, you might as well add chris evan's trilogy of the third reich to your list. wages of destruction is also recommended a lot around here, though i haven't read it myself.
>>
File: 1491530624178 copy.png (4MB, 2085x1375px) Image search: [Google]
1491530624178 copy.png
4MB, 2085x1375px
>>3237205
put the title on top this time to make it more visible
>>
>>3237195
Oh geez I don't know what to say. I think it's a list of some random books I mentioned. Probably more than a little biased in certain way (but then again like 85% of all books about presidents are already biased towards PBS type of mythology).
>>
>>3235266
It was written by one of the survivors. He never went back to normal and it was part of his therapy. Nat Geo called it the best adventure book of all time. There are more and they're the biggest in Britain obviously when they are writing books about individual crewmembers even petty officers.

I'll try to make that list.
>>
>>3236607
Basically that no nation can truly trust another nation. Since there is no international 911, all nations will try to gain some form of power over another. All nations, especially the great powers want to become the hegemon, and the only way to get there is through war.
>>
>>3236607
That Great Power War is inevitable.
>>
>>3215866
read it! whats the worst that could happen
>>
>>3232527
why?
>>
File: century.jpg (39KB, 325x499px) Image search: [Google]
century.jpg
39KB, 325x499px
The best way to get yankee to go home is to hang dead animals from lightposts
>>
>>3237275
why, why?
>>
>>3237282
why is it so strongly hated?
>>
>>3237284
ah, the author has political opinions that are apparent in the book according to some. to others they are an intergal part of changing the general narrative. i havent read it, though i do have Harman's A Peoples History of the World which i found to be quite good, i read mostly history (own 400 plus books) and it was a look at history from a different side for a refreshing change.
>>
File: Antarctic essentials.png (1MB, 809x768px) Image search: [Google]
Antarctic essentials.png
1MB, 809x768px
>>3237220
I did a thing. Hopefully it's good.
>>
File: neat.jpg (29KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
neat.jpg
29KB, 500x491px
>>3237317
>>
>>3237317
nice
>>
File: _97305324_fruitcake.jpg (38KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
_97305324_fruitcake.jpg
38KB, 660x371px
>>3233343
>>3237317
>tfw they found a century old fruit cake from british explorers in antartica that is apparently still edible. the expedition all died on their way back from the south pole after the norwegians beat them 33 days before
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40907084
looks tasty desu
>>
File: Books.png (341KB, 487x347px) Image search: [Google]
Books.png
341KB, 487x347px
Are these books good?
>>
File: thecake.jpg (74KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
thecake.jpg
74KB, 500x394px
>>3237408
Fruitcakes are tough. This one's from Grover Cleveland's wedding.
>>
File: 51EQXB9YKJL.jpg (58KB, 310x500px) Image search: [Google]
51EQXB9YKJL.jpg
58KB, 310x500px
Recently finished this. A pretty easy read written almost entirely from the British POV, with excerpts from soldiers' and generals' diaries. Also provides the perspective from 10 soldiers to see how that shitshow unfolded for individuals. For me it was way more tangible and touching than to see dry numbers like '6000 casualties'.

And the author's written a similar book from the German perspective about one day in one of the 1918 offensives, which should also be interesting.

Also, does anyone have any recs for general reads about Sumer or any of them ancient Mesopotamians?
>>
File: ANTARTCTIC.png (4MB, 1550x1352px) Image search: [Google]
ANTARTCTIC.png
4MB, 1550x1352px
>>3237317
I screwed it up a bit by making it too small. Now it should be better.
>>
>>3238296
Excellent, many thanks
>>
>>3238210
See this thread >>3234310
Civilization Before Greece and Rome or Brotherhood of Kings are good places to start.
>>
>>3238210
What if they made books about each day?
>>
File: Roman Numerals.jpg (17KB, 236x211px) Image search: [Google]
Roman Numerals.jpg
17KB, 236x211px
>>3213016
Adrian Goldsworthy is fucjing based. I'm reading The Complete Roman Army right now and he demystifies so much. It really helps me to actually comprehend the Roman war machine.

Im going to his book on the Punic wars soon. Is this what it feels like to go full shill?
>>
>>3211199
History is fiction.
>>
File: milanpt1.png (2MB, 800x5897px) Image search: [Google]
milanpt1.png
2MB, 800x5897px
>>3230891
part 2 incoming
>>
File: milanpt2.png (2MB, 800x4632px) Image search: [Google]
milanpt2.png
2MB, 800x4632px
>>3239763
>>
>>3237191
Minor nitpick but The Thirty Years War by Wilson on your chart is on here >>3227196
>>
What are some books about the Peace of Westphalia after the 30 year war?
>>
>>3239870
check pic related
>>
File: sensuei.jpg (8KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
sensuei.jpg
8KB, 300x225px
>>3237275
You ever see the Chapter Black Saga of Yu Yu Hakusho. The one where Yusuke has to fight his predecessor, Sensuei. In it, Sensuei has a tape, called the Chapter Black tape that shows all of humanities sins and supposedly humanity can do no right. Well, the Chapter Black tape is not meant to be shown alone, but together with the other tapes. Well, Howard Zinn is Sensuei in this case, and he just shows all that is bad about the US and nothing good. Basically, if guys like Rush Limbaugh think that the US can do no wrong, guys like Zinn think that the US can do no right either.

Pic related is the author.
>>
>>3227196
How good is the Iron Kingdom book?
>>
>>3239763
>>3239795
Thanks CityStateanon. Great stuff on an under-discussed topic.
>>
>>3227196
>two rows dedicated to WW1
my niggas
>>
>>3239763
Shocked at how little there is in English on Gian Galeazzo Visconti. Is the situation similar in Italian or is the literature much richer?
>>
>>3240022
Very. It's quite dense though.
>>
File: HCC-H.jpg (144KB, 900x1286px) Image search: [Google]
HCC-H.jpg
144KB, 900x1286px
Recently got pic related (along with a few other religious-history books) in the mail, has anyone here read it?
>>
>>3240045
It's a lot better in italian I think. Their historians write a lot more about the italian renaissance than ours do, which is not surprising considering their easy access to sources in a language almost identical to theirs. It also helps that history is always important in nation-building projects and ideologies.

like this bibliography on milan is 90% italian works, which is why i felt it necessary to make a section for italian works. i hope some italian anon might see it and communicate the information in the book to us. i feel that english speakers really will never understand entire picture of the italian renaissance otherwise. our hope is that more material will be translated and published in english over the next few decades.
https://pastebin.com/HsXg0b0F
>>
File: siena.png (2MB, 800x6439px) Image search: [Google]
siena.png
2MB, 800x6439px
>>3240025
>>3239795
np. have a bonus one on siena
>>
>>3240368
Any on Florence or Mantua Citystateanon?
>>
>>3213016

Probably my favorite historical tome of all time. Really fucking good.
>>
File: Wh'te 'people'.jpg (78KB, 696x465px) Image search: [Google]
Wh'te 'people'.jpg
78KB, 696x465px
>>3220814
>spanish literally affirms that they met the Inca by miracle luck so they proceeded to kidnap him
>spanish came just at the moment when an Inca was going to divide the empire by two parts, just before deciding who will be his sucessor, he dies by european disease
Hmm...
>>
>>3240373
this is what i can find. there's not much on it im afraid
>>
File: 1407353551865.jpg (44KB, 351x440px) Image search: [Google]
1407353551865.jpg
44KB, 351x440px
>>3240479
you da best man
>>
>>3237214
Can anyone share what Tooze's thesis is regarding the Nazi economy? Is he arguing that it was some Keynesian piece of shit?
>>
Anybody got anything good on pre colonial sub-Saharan Africa?
>>
>>3240514
anything specifically? its a big topic and i haven't read on it desu
>>
File: venice.png (3MB, 800x8816px) Image search: [Google]
venice.png
3MB, 800x8816px
>>3240368
venice chart completed. more to come on venetian maritime empire
>>
File: His approved literature part 4.png (3MB, 2028x900px) Image search: [Google]
His approved literature part 4.png
3MB, 2028x900px
>>3237195
Finished part 4. Thanks to >>3239811 for pointing out the duplicate.
>>
>>3240807
Also made a chart based on the thread >>3238329 linked
>>
>>3240603
Stuff on the African kingdoms, maybe some events that happened, how they were able to run vast areas without writing.
>>
>>3240807
John Keay I thought was dry on India. Am I wrong?
>>
>>3241526
Dry doesn't mean that it's inaccurate or poorly-structured.
>>
>>3241232
ok i'll post some random stuff that might interest you
>>
>>3241643
>>
>>3241645
>>
File: gulag-archipelago.jpg (301KB, 910x1500px) Image search: [Google]
gulag-archipelago.jpg
301KB, 910x1500px
The fact that no one has posted this yet makes me want to vomit
>>
File: 330_1_span3.jpg (34KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
330_1_span3.jpg
34KB, 370x370px
Anything by this Aquinas is top-tier religious philosophy and apologetics
>>
>>3241913
>it was real in the mind of a guy who told a guy who told a guy who wrote me a letter
>>
File: Niv_bible.jpg (749KB, 2047x2986px) Image search: [Google]
Niv_bible.jpg
749KB, 2047x2986px
>>
>>3241921
dude, he went through it himself. he uses primary sources to help him fill in the blanks.
>>
>>3241925
He went through what himself? Jail for wrongthink? Yes, absolutely happened in the USSR. Torturing people to death? I doubt it.

He does that thing where he takes a tragedy, and exaggerates it wildly, in the process making people dismiss it as cartoonish.
He should've stuck to facts and presented the dull and boring and pragmatic exploitation of people by the USSR regime, its ugly enough, no need to make it look like a Dungeons&Dragons campaign.
>>
File: 1474007658105.gif (3MB, 500x207px) Image search: [Google]
1474007658105.gif
3MB, 500x207px
>>3241927
>he takes a tragedy, and exaggerates it wildly
I'll bite.

How is it exaggerated?
>>
>>3241936
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/06/world/natalya-reshetovskaya-84-is-dead-solzhenitsyn-s-wife-questioned-gulag.html

>In her 1974 memoir, ''Sanya: My Life with Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn'' (Bobbs-Merrill), she wrote that she was ''perplexed'' that the West had accepted ''The Gulag Archipelago'' as ''the solemn, ultimate truth,'' saying its significance had been ''overestimated and wrongly appraised.''
>Pointing out that the book's subtitle is ''An Experiment in Literary Investigation,'' she said that her husband did not regard the work as ''historical research, or scientific research.'' She contended that it was, rather, a collection of ''camp folklore,'' containing ''raw material'' which her husband was planning to use in his future productions.

He didn't even claim originally to be doing research, he was publishing what he was told, urban myths. He uses a lot of rumors and "he told me a guy told him" kind of stuff from people who have reason to be venomous (arrested family).
Compare him to Herodotus, who did the same thing, remind people he is writing down what stories he is told and he doesn't know if they are true or not.

I disliked the USSR regime and political prisoner camps with forced labor MORE before I read the book, than after I forced myself to read it.
Also, did you read the original publish, or the more recent, cut up to remove the craziest shit, modern version?
>>
>>3241967
I read a Russian copy when I was studying a capstone project for my Masters, this was in the 80's. It's significant in its literary reach and psychological assessment of Marxist-communist doctrine. I never really associated it with accurate historical accounts.
>>
>>3242003
>I never really associated it with accurate historical accounts.

If you are the person who previously replied to me here >>3241936, your posts suggest that it is meant to be factual, and not a collection of urban myths.
>>
>>3242009
I maintain it's not exaggerated, but some of it certainly may not have happened to him or people he knew.
>>
>>3242022
It is not exaggerated, but it may not have happened?
How do you define exaggeration?

The Gulag Archipelago should be renamed to "How the Soviet People Felt About Their Prison Program", while its current brand suggests "Things That Actually Happened For Real I Promise".
It is the real mood and attitude, portrayed by urban myths. There is a reason these myths were created and spread, of course, but that doesn't make them factual.
>>
>>3241967
Figures NYT would publish this. They published some commie-friendly articles recently.
Anything coming from the man himself? Gulag literature doesn't begin or end with Solzhenitsyn there are many more memoirs and well researched books. So there's no getting out of this. There's no room for apologism anymore.
>>
File: Untitled.png (28KB, 1718x141px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
28KB, 1718x141px
>>3241967
>>
>>3242690
More "a guy said so".
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 148

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.