[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>charges your pikemen with cavalry heh, nothing personnel kiddo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 50

File: 1496258481239.jpg (47KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
1496258481239.jpg
47KB, 700x394px
>charges your pikemen with cavalry

heh, nothing personnel kiddo
>>
>>3210231
horse archers beat everything
>>
How do you defeat Mongols?
>>
Are hores archers male or female?
>>
>>3210231

I wouldn't say those were pikes. It was pretty realistic if you ask me (except the dragon ).They were charging a thin line of spearmen, which had already been broken up by the dragon. Unsurprisingly, the Lannisters got BTFO.
>>
Why did they only have one ballista? Why not 50?

If they wanted Drogon to be shot by a main character instead of some mook, they could've had the other ballistas get destroyed.
>>
>>3210247
Beat them at their own game. Rape their horses.
>>
>>3210231
1) Those weren't pikes
2) They had a dragon breaking Lannister men up.
>>
File: jaime-tilt.gif (3MB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
jaime-tilt.gif
3MB, 600x337px
>I'ma charge dis dragon lmao
>>
>charges your squares with cavalry

heh, nothing personnel rosebeef
>>
It worked on the Uruk-hai pikemen at Helmsdeep.
>>
in the show dragons napalm their formations, infantry out of formation are vulnerable to cavalry
>>
>>3210269
He knew there was a good chance that he'd die, but an equally good chance of killing Daenerys and possibly ending the war.
>>
File: BoltThrower.jpg (59KB, 287x250px) Image search: [Google]
BoltThrower.jpg
59KB, 287x250px
>>3210257
This. I was so confused when Qyburn revealed it to Cersei, because it was shown off like it was the pinnacle of Siege Engineering. If people in Westeros are in possession of catapults and trebuchets, I don't see how a fucking bolt thrower couldn't be mass produced.
>>
Why were the Dothraki even there?

Why not just have Drogon fly up and down the line frying people?
>>
File: Bolton Pikes.jpg (82KB, 637x358px) Image search: [Google]
Bolton Pikes.jpg
82KB, 637x358px
I guess now we know how Robb won all those battles vs. the Lannisters

Northmen had pikes.
>>
File: 1497264550069.png (11KB, 804x743px) Image search: [Google]
1497264550069.png
11KB, 804x743px
>>3210247
allow them to take land then burn everything to the ground behind them
their biggest weakness was the supplies needed for upkeep
>>
>>3210301
I'm more wondering why, after witnessing it, Dany decided to fly the dragon in a straight fucking line at it
>>
>>3210301
They do have scorpions, we see smaller ones at the Battle of Castle Black. One snipes a giant.

Maybe the one Qyburn made was extra powerful.
>>
>>3210313
She knows she has plot armor.
>>
>>3210323
It was also high angle. And had some special tip for the dragon.
>>
>>3210308

Has there ever been real soldiers whose job it was to use both hands holding giant shields for the guys behind them? Ive never heard of two-handed shieldsmen.
>>
>>3210352
Do you count pavises? Some of those got pretty good.
>>
>>3210365
>good
meant big
>>
>>3210323
>Maybe the one Qyburn made was extra powerful.

It's possible that they never felt the need to make giant bolt throwers before so this is a new design. Maybe they read about it being used against dragons in the past.
>>
>>3210370
I don't know if the show has Meraxes getting its head blown off by one in Dorne
>>
File: Swiss pikemen.jpg (116KB, 520x455px) Image search: [Google]
Swiss pikemen.jpg
116KB, 520x455px
>>3210352
People who carried pavises and mantlets. But it wasn't permanent, since usually that was carried around sieges.

Anyway, Bolton Pike formation is pretty much a retarded way to do pike formations considering historical pike formations from Europe all the way to Japan crammed the frontline with as much spears as possible to fill in gaps. Pic related.
>>
File: allyourspears.jpg (28KB, 260x179px) Image search: [Google]
allyourspears.jpg
28KB, 260x179px
>>3210231
They weren't Pikes, they were spearmint
>>
>>3210382
Yeah but no one else utilized the brilliant Bolton tactic of killing all your horses so you can surround the enemy with their corpses either
>>
I hate hululululu warriors so much.
>>
File: crossbow_loading.jpg (162KB, 875x915px) Image search: [Google]
crossbow_loading.jpg
162KB, 875x915px
>>3210301
this >>3210323
and this >>3210330
A dragon has all sorts of magical fuckery with it that I'm sure makes its scales as hard as iron (how it still flies is extra fuckery, considering how it must be essentially weightless in comparison)

This isn't your average ballista either. Roman ones would need multiple people just to charge it up. Even a regular crossbow needs a massive amount of weight on it to just pull back the damn string. Bronn uses ONE hand to charge up what should be hundreds of pounds of weight with all the damn chains AND load the arrow.
>>
>>3210389
>spearmint

You're posting on your phone, aren't you?
>>
>>3210301
The series, that didn't make much sense before, went out of hands when the guionists stopped following the books. Look at how everyone teleports from one place of westeros to the other.
>>
>>3210247
slow down their momentum by building fort that cant be easily taken and has to be heavily invested
get a skirmisher heavy army
>>
File: Mandarin_Duck_Formation.jpg (133KB, 800x1005px) Image search: [Google]
Mandarin_Duck_Formation.jpg
133KB, 800x1005px
>>3210352
Actually the Chinese used pikes in this fashion.

The difference is that the man in the front carried a much smaller shield rather than a pavois, and was also armed with a sword.
>>
>>3210352
According to Procopius and probably other older greek historians, persian infantry did this.
>>
File: Mandarin Duck.jpg (35KB, 600x464px) Image search: [Google]
Mandarin Duck.jpg
35KB, 600x464px
>>3210440
The mandarin duck formation was a small unit formation though consisting of groups of 11 men surrounding a village.

It was devised by Qi Jiguang during the Pirate Wars in 1560s, when he realized that the greatest threat the pirates posed was raids all over the Chinese coastline. So instead of just hoping to quash them in a pitched battle, he spread his army across the coastal villages in groups of 100 to 50 to protect them.

Essentially it was a squad formation. This is what that looks like from up top, its from a Korean copy of Qi Jiguangs manuals.
>>
>>3210247

Foot-archers plus spear-men. Bolt-throwers too so you can shoot them when they are too far away to shoot at you.
>>
>>3210440
Did anyone use pikes that were so long they needed more than one man to wield?
>>
File: Persian Battle Line.jpg (236KB, 2226x778px) Image search: [Google]
Persian Battle Line.jpg
236KB, 2226x778px
>>3210450
The Sparabara had spears. Bolton cunts held shields with both hands.
>>
File: EnglishLongbow.jpg (56KB, 650x573px) Image search: [Google]
EnglishLongbow.jpg
56KB, 650x573px
>>3210407
I mean, there's no point trying to make sense of how the dragon could possibly move. We can just pin that to "magic".

I didn't realise this when I first watched the scene, but you're absolutely right about the whole draw-weight problem. You could also point this out whenever any archers have their bows drawn to their full text for longer than, at most, a second.
>>
>>3210460
No that is fucking stupid.
>>
>>3210272
If only based Ney had had a dragon with him...
>>
>>3210460
No that's retarded. You lose all maneuverability and then your troops are only slightly more useful than planted stakes.
>>
>>3210231

> run Dothraki at shield wall
> pull them up short of bow range
> roll right down the length of the line with dragon
> send Dothraki after routed spearmen

Dany confirmed for pleb-tier tactician.
>>
>>3210475

The dragon didn't stand up to a ballista bolt, it would have stood up to musket/cannon fire even worse.

It wouldn't be all that hard to rig a "high angle" trunnion for the field guns and load canister.
>>
>>3210483
>A woman is a bad leader

Never would've guessed
>>
>>3210464
Pretty sure the ones mentioned by Procopius didn't. And unlike in his secret history bullshit, he was a present in pretty much all eveevehents he writes about in the wars books.
>>
>>3210518
>eveevehents
A-are you OK anon?
>>
File: 1502158001955.png (398KB, 879x636px) Image search: [Google]
1502158001955.png
398KB, 879x636px
>>
>>3210492
>the only weapon they had to stop the dragon was only present due to the opposing queen
really makes me think
>>
>>3210723
I didn't realise Qyburn was queen...
>>
>>3210247
mountains
>>
>>3210735
>dothraki suck against westorsi soldiers
>dany's failure to plan to blame
>cersei commissions and funds Qyburn to create a scorpion
>cersei's planning gets no credit
additional thinking activated
>>
>>3210749
Asking someone to make a weapon that doesn't exist yet isn't exactly great leadership. I don't praise FDR as the father of the atomic bomb or give him great credit for saying 'yes' to the manhattan project
>>
>>3210429
No i meant spearmint.
>>
>>3210382
>mantlets
when will they learn
>>
>>3210247
Fortifications

Asians can't into technology.
>>
>>3210612
Why is the knight's spear longer than the foot soldier?

That picture doesnt prove anything.
>>
>>3210967
>>
>>3210492
>He thinks anyone is a good leader in game of thrones
Everyone is a fuck up with the exception of the night king
>>
>>3210231
the dragon is -20 to troops morale

horsemen are just to carve them up and finish off the pieces
>>
>>3211038
Did we watch the same episode? The troops morale dropped when they the screaming horde come at them.
>>
>>3210440
>haw haw lets make Ping carry that little shield out in front oh lawd dis gun b gud
>>
>>3210308
I kept on thinking about that actually
>"Wtf kind of formation is that? I bet if that was the Bolto pike formation, Dothrakis would've been shishkebabed."

Seriously, look at it. Lannisters were better off giving everyone spears than just the cunts behind the shield bearers.
>>
>>3211045
They formed up in good order when the Dothraki came. Especially considering it was a fucking ambush.
>>
When there is a gazillion savage but they let you use your balista
>>
>>3211061
Yes but they where shaking to their booths
>>
>>3210456
Why do they have two coordinators for a single squad? That don't even fight.

Sounds like a lot of wasted manpower.
>>
>>3210983
It's a polish hussar. They had hollow Spears that allowed them to have longer reach.
>>
>>3210328
Are you implying that Daenerys is secretly [spoiler] Gwenpoole [/spoiler] ?
>>
>>3211162
Then just equip your infantry with hollow spears...
>>
>>3210352
Shields, I don't think so, but I know that Spanish, German, Swiss, and Italian armies would have plebs with great swords stand out in front of Pike formations to try and open a gap in the enemy block.
>>
>>3211182
they're pricey, and the mass of an armored horse will beat a hollow spear. Just use horse traps and archers
>>
>>3211182
Then the spear breaks when the pike blocks collide or the first knight smacks into your spear. Unlike the hussar, who can circle back and get a new spear, or draw his sabre, your foot soldier is now stranded in the middle of a pike lock and is helpless and useless.
>>
>>3211161
IFF and signals are a big part of war, m8.

In addition squads worked with other squads since a village or coastal town would have around 50 to a hundred soldiers posted. The whole point of the Mandarin Duck Squad was to enable soldiers to fight both as separate squads and as a body in larger battles. As such identifying your squad means individual squads need banners.
>>
>>3211172
>tfw no spoilers on /his/
>>
>>3210247
Alcohol
>>
>>3211196
>and the mass of an armored horse will beat a hollow spear.
not if you mass your infantry and ground some spears or use several men to back them up.
>>
>>3211209
You really shouldn't need 2 separate people doing nothing but that for every 9 men. It's kind of a waste.
>>
>>3210247
Heavy forests, it cripples cavalry
>>
>>3210247

Chiefly, forcing them into siege warfare.

Gather what supplies you can, poison water holes, burn whatever else you can't and deny them fodder for their horses.

Outside of that, use terrain that's not hospitable for fielding large numbers of cavalry effectively, bottlenecking them or subjecting them to reverse slope defenses.
>>
>>3211161
>Why do they have two coordinators for a single squad?
The individual with the banner is the squad commander,the flagstaff can be used in the same manner as other spears.

>That don't even fight.
Only the porter/cook(individual on the far right) doesn't have a combat role.
>>
>>3211241
Okay, grow a forest in front of those stampeding hordes. Got it!
>>
>>3210459

Why did it take this long for this answer? Yeah, fortifications are great, but shit.
>>
>>3211317
Or, get this, fight them in a pre-existing forest
>>
>>3210247
Live very far away from them.
>>
>>3211397
>move to a forest
>steppe niggers ride past and go pillage shit
>they go home with packs full of loot
>you go home to find mad peasants rebelling because their king was hiding while they suffered
>>
>>3210737
Carpathia didn't stop them
>>
>>3210247
Dothraki are not mongols

>actual armor
>supply lines
>forges and tons of artisans brought with them
>medics
>sophisticated command structure
>siege weapons and engineers

but the answer to how to beat mongols is easy; water
>>
>>3211052
>tfw you draw lots and have to carry the little shield out front
>>
>>3211240
>t. video game player
>>
>>3210247
The problem was there were too many of them, starving the horde by burning crops could have worked.
>>
>>3210244
fpbp
>>
>>3211011
Thanks
>>
Game of Thrones is what it takes to get brainlets posting about medieval warfare.
>>
>>3210247
Couple of ways: lure them into an unfavorable terrain (swamps, mountains, jungles), use a scorched earth strategy against them (what the Dai Viet did in their second war with the Yuan), superior generalship. Fight them in the same way the Romans did or Alexander did at the battle of Jaxartes - mass heavy infantry supported by a good number of archers. The Han Dynasty also had success with such a formation as they beat the Xiongnu confederacy in this way. The Romans were the masters of it though as they defeated numerous such armies - the Sassanids, Alani, Huns, Parthians, Scythians and the Sarmatians.

To beat them, you had to fix their position, either by sending the infantry in as fodder and waiting to receive the attack to counter attack with your own cavalry (Alexander at Jaxartes) or using packages of infantry and cavalry in close conjunction.

The success of the Mongols really just came from Genghis Khan's ability to unite the tribes and the stars aligning perfectly for them.
>>
>>3210247
The use of espionage and diplomacy to prevent any one tribe becoming dominant over the others.
>>
>>3211093
Yeah, like probably every soldier in history.
Do you think gettin a shieldwall front line was fun, knowing full well you could die for any kind of shit, from an arrow to a fucking minor wound than festered?
>>
I think we can all surmise the worst mistake made by Little Miss Plot Armour in the episode, Burning the entire Harvest. She burned all of the harvest wagons for absolutely no reason. With the Lannisters routed, her Dothraki could have stolen it, and the caravan was hardly going to escape. She could have taken all that food and handed it back to the Reachman farmers to gain their loyalty, but no, she incinerated the last harvest before the winter, because she's an idiot, who is written solely to do cool shit.

Another thing, Danaerys seems to be split into two people for no real reason. Half the time she's the people's queen, Missandei says she was chosen not because of her father but because of her actions, and half of the time she tries to force loyalty through her ancestry.

She seems to be unsure whether she's actually a people's monarch, in which case she wouldn't burn harvests, and would seek the loyalty of the seven kingdoms rather than conquering them, attempting to prove herself as their Queen, or whether she's reclaiming her birthright, in which case she should be executing lords who betrayed the Targaryens.

The central conflict is that she's trying to claim legitimacy after her predeccesor essentially removed his own legitimacy by going batshit insane, and she doesn't have any understanding of why people are reluctant to follow her, to the point of slaughtering, let's face it, not universally guilty Lannister soldiers, likely mostly forced into service.

We even had a little moment earlier in the season where they showed us that the Lannister soldiers aren't evil, just being lead by a few cruel masters, and somehow we're still expected to love Danaerys for burning those relatively decent, if not innocent men alive.

I dearly hope it turns out everyone sees that atrocity as what it was, an atrocity, next episode, and Danaerys goes off the deep end after Drogon got shot.
>>
>>3212276
Not gonna happen. I hate Cersei more than Daenerys but I was rooting for Jaime and, mostly, Bronn the whole battle. You know, the natural inclination towards the underdog specially if he's a badass. The other three persons watching it with me? They were sad about the dragon being shot. They even were angry at Bronn, a character they previously loved.
>>
>>3210312
except the land would turn into pasture after they burn everything
>>
>>3211675
or it could go like this
>steppe niggers arrive
>you scouts find out
>civies hide in a castle
>all food has already been stored in the castle
>horsefuckers cant do anything, burn a village or two out of spite
>horse fuckers start dying of hunger

of course this is impossible in the world where armies teleport all over the place and one second daenerys and horse fuckers are on an island and second second are in the middle of the westeros unnoticed. In any case if you want to fight steppe niggers, never do it in open field
>>
>>3212356
No country has enough solid fortifications to house all its people and resources.
>>
>>3212276
dude the entire plot of this entire season was already leaked. There will be no more focus on the war for the kingdom. everybody will be at the wall fighting the dead and one dragon will die, will be reanimated and will be fighting for the dead army

>Lannister soldiers were innocent bois but they died
wew, war is hell m8
>>
>>3212359
and no horsefuckers have enough horsefuckers to raid the whole country
>>
File: 'bania.png (165KB, 800x673px) Image search: [Google]
'bania.png
165KB, 800x673px
>>3212359
>No country has enough solid fortifications to house all its people and resources.
>>
>>3212394
Yeah, but who the fuck would raid Albania knowing it was and is the biggest shithole in Europe?
>>
>>3212394
>1 bunker for every 3 people

Why.
>>
>>3211826
>Dothraki are not mongols
Yeah, more like the Turks as seen in the battle of Dorylaeum

>Turks surprise Crusader vanguard
>Riding through camp, cutting men down as they to struggle to organize
>Armored knights finally form a line around the more vulnerable men-at-arms and noncombatants
>Mounted Turk archers continue to inflict heavy loses on the men in the box but the knights hold the line
>The Turks, having no dragon to break said line, eventually withdraw as Crusader reinforcements arrive
>>
>>3212394
BASED Enver
>>
>>3212359
Westeros has quite a few obscenely gigantic fortifications. Casterly Rock, for example, is a hollowed-out mountain.
>>
>>3211836
European armies in the same period didn't waste manpower that way, but then again Europeans were actually good at war.
>>
>>3212457
See >>3211307

I've already explained that the flag bearing individual is an officer(that doubles as a spearman) while the right most figure in the Korean diagram is a porter/cook.

Ai Pai bearing swordsman are defensive while soldiers with rattan shields(Teng Pai) are meant to take an offensive role.
http://greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/03/mandarin-duck-formation-p1.html
>>
>>3211952
There were other succesful nomadic peoples aside from the mongols though.
The ottoman an seljuk empires were both these especially at the start.
>>
Terrible tactics aside, the lannister troops were escorts. The lines were 2-3 men deep and really only 1 line had spears from what it looks like. Even light cavalry can bust through that with some casualties.

Plus dragons
>>
>>3210231
Sorry little Westerosi boys, but your time is over :)

Soon your wives and daughters will know the true meaning of men.
>>
>>3210612
magic pew pew
>>
>>3212446
Not in the show, it's just a gay castle on a cliff
>>
File: pikelength.png (54KB, 879x318px) Image search: [Google]
pikelength.png
54KB, 879x318px
>>3211206
new spears can be passed up to the front, the front rank grabs the pike from the rank behind him and so on
>>
>>3212836
Why not throw the pike?
>>
>>3212426
To stop revisionists
>>
>>3212836
>lances
>longer than pikes
haha what idiot made this
>>
File: The American Plains Indians-29.jpg (975KB, 2096x1430px) Image search: [Google]
The American Plains Indians-29.jpg
975KB, 2096x1430px
>>3212444
>>3211826
Nope. GRRM officially stated they're a frankenstein of various horse-nomad cultures. Sure there's the Mongol & Turkic memes (evident with Khan = Khal), but a notable aspect of GRRM's Dothraki is that the physical culture resembles Native American Plains Indians (no armor, teepees, and so on), as opposed to Eurasian Nomads, who can be very heavily armored.
>>
>>3211056

>they keeping doing this retarded "front rank only has shields" bullshit

WHY
>>
File: 1501728211282.jpg (17KB, 189x292px) Image search: [Google]
1501728211282.jpg
17KB, 189x292px
>>3211052
>>
>>3210781
>I don't praise FDR as the father of the atomic bomb

you ungrateful bastard
>>
>>3210276
Well to be fair the the sun had just risen and they were blinded from it shining in their faces.

It was pretty funny though when you compare the casualties Haldir's elves took when they decided to throw themselves onto the pikes when the deeping wall was breached. Compared to thousands of horsemen rushing into thousands of pikes.

Elves a shit.
>>
>>3213033
Coz it looks kewl to the uninformed.
>>
Spears and only a single line
>>
>>3213033
If you have two ranks worth of extras but the front only holds a shield and the rear only holds a spear then you lower the cost of props by 50%.
>>
>>3210312
>>3211265
>>3211842
>>3211952

I hear the scorched earth strategy mentioned a lot. But doesn't it cripple your own land to poison wells and burn everything to the ground? How easily is that reversed?
>>
>>3210269
>>3210282
He has experience killing Targaryn's when their back is turned.
>>
>>3212842
too heavy
>>3212982
some polack obsessed with hussars
>>
>>3210272
Apparently it was an accident likely started by a low ranking officer. The thing is though had it been properly supported with more infantry and artillery, the British would have been destroyed long before the Prussians arrived.
>>
>>3211785
The Himalayas did.
>>
>>3210967
Siege of Baghdad
>>
could a man with 1 hand and in full plate, swim up from at least 20 feet below the water's surface?
>>
>>3213320
if he has had practice
>>
>>3213325

With a metal hand?
>>
>>3213327

Spoiler alert! The dragon fishes him out. And Jaime switches sides!
>>
>>3213330

After having sex with the girl who he killed her father.

Then John Snow has sloppy seconds with his aunt.
>>
>>3212276
Fucking this.

The dragon attack was cool but all I could think of was that these are just levies raised in a time of war and they all die screaming. My dad was cheering super hard but but all I could think of was how Dany was following in her family footsteps of roasting people alive, even if it's what she needs to do to take the kingdom.
>>
File: white-walker-children.jpg (132KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
white-walker-children.jpg
132KB, 1200x675px
>>3213338

Actually, I was hoping Danny turns out to be a monster. Even John and Sansha have done some pretty monster like things (hanging boy and feeding captured victim to dogs). Even at their worse, everyone is still better than the White Walkers. Though I can relate to baby eating.
>>
>>3210464
>That commissar on the back
What is on the front is scary. We must place something scarier on the back.
>>
>>3210231
Just asking, weren't lines of spike the best solution ever against cavalry charges?
>>
>>3213364
>I was hoping Danny turns out to be a monster

Err that's kind of the point of the whole series. GRRM has been writing the biggest bait and switch of recent times. She's basically Sauron if Sauron had POV Chapters and a tragic back story that makes everyone root for him.
>>
>>3212808
>legendary castle of the wealthiest family in the seven kingdoms is a largish mediterranean villa
Glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed.
>>
File: Achaemenid Persian Battle Aray.jpg (385KB, 577x407px) Image search: [Google]
Achaemenid Persian Battle Aray.jpg
385KB, 577x407px
>>3213399
The whip was merely a ceremonial symbol of authority among Persians.

Of course, Greeks took it as an example of eastern slavish mentality.
>>
>>3211182
Anon...
Why didn't Atahualpa equip his army with machine guns and tanks?
>>3212982
Read a book.
>>3210256
Line was broken by dragon, but there was still 10 meters high wall of fire there. Somehow Dothraki didn't have problems with crossing it. Is it even possible to train horses to walk intro fire?
>>
>>3210247

Water and nature
Forts and mountains
Scorched heart and winter war
Plot, murder and betrayal
Archers and cavalary like the cathrapats
>>
>>3213267
Scorched earth doesn't mean literally scorch the earth, it means to evacuate the people and everything else that may be useful to the invading army like food supplies, military weapons, communications, etc.
>>
>make a "shield wall" with one short spear
>get charged successfully by light cavalry with no formation or spears

what the fuck were the show runners thinking, all you would have to do is show the troops in a competent formation like an actual professional army and show the dragon fire opening a hole and the commanders running the cavalry through instead of showing horses running into spears like retards and that weak ass shield wall. But hey it has a 9.9 on IMDB so i guess my opinion doesn't matter
>>
>>3210244
Dothraki aren't really horse archers, they are light cavalry who shoot bows as they close in. They didn't really pepper the Lannisters with arrows until they were weakened, they just shot arrows as they closed within sword range.

They fight more like light charge cavalry.
>>
File: noob_box.jpg (73KB, 734x550px) Image search: [Google]
noob_box.jpg
73KB, 734x550px
>>3210247

You noob-box like an asshole.
>>
>>3214688
It's a legitimate tactic
>>
>>3214688
There's a reason they called them noob-boxes, because they're easy as piss to counter.
>>
>>3210231
The infantry line was 2 men deep. You'd be a retard not to charge it.
>>
>>3214702
BULLSHIT

You spread your forces up you engage pikes in the front. You concentrate your forces you penetrate to the center and are immediately surrounded.

IT'S FOOLPROOF

Even great strategists like Alexander the great couldn't counter it. Heck he couldn't even conceive its masterful design.
>>
>>3214410
Did you miss the part were they had no idea they were going to get attacked and once they did the entire army had less than a minute to actually prepare for the attack?
>>
>>3214410
>show the dragon fire opening a hole and the commanders running the cavalry through
That is literally what happened, they just also showed the sections of the line that tried to hold.
>>
>>3213576
>was merely a ceremonial symbol of authority
>took it as an example of eastern slavish mentality
>because you whip slaves
Those crazy greeks.
>>
>>3213196
a.k.a. the Stalingrad method
>>
>>3214716
Step 1: Move your archers in range, aim for the infantry units that have their back turned to them, or engage their own archers (your archers can spread out adequately, theirs are restricted to the interior of the noob box. The bigger the box, the fewer archers)

Step 2: Use the weakspots your archers as a target for infantry. If you're Roman, using Pila alone will probably rout them.

Step 3:
1. If the enemy breaks the noob-box to address the hole, begin preparations for hammer and anvil. Isolating individual units is incredibly easy at this stage
2. If the formation stays rigid, stay in the gap, and bash the sides of the enemy - if the phalanxes turn to face you, their flank will be exposed to cavalry, which will rout them with ease

Worked LITERALLY every time
>>
>Entire massive Dothraki horde stampede across Westeros to Kings Landing
>No one notices until they are within stampede distance
>Meanwhile her scouts apparently know exactly where Jaime Lannister is transporting the gold
>>
>>3213033
I don't thinks it's that stupid
the shield bearer has a sword in case somebody has to bright idea to get close into "blind spot" in order to not get pike'd or push in

pikes got re-invented during renaissance when pavises were already useless against black powder guns
I mean Samurai haven't came up with concept of buckler, Romans haven't came up with heavy cavalry, it took people centuries to come up with cartridge, etc.
maybe it's a legitimate tactic, even though it wasn't used irl
>>
The one-hand man should have skewered the dragon lady. Can you imagine the oceans of butt hurt if she had died at the end of the episode? Oceans.
>>
>>3213316
>City siege
>Fortified

That is nothing compared to the shit that you can do with castles to make assailing a territory a technical nightmare. Hungary, a backwater of Europe BTFO the horse fuckers stopping them from ever entering Europe again in a meaningful manner by just building a couple hundred more stone castles and getting crossbows.
>>
>>3210247
Dothraki aren't Mongols. Dothraki are retarded.
According to this http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Qohor all you have to do is put spears infront of them and they will kill eachother because they are too proud to flank.
>>
>>3215205
Dothraki are a mix of the various nomad cultures - Mongols, Huns, Xiongnu, Scythians, Parthians, etc. They're not based on a single one. You can see by how they fight - it's nothing like how the Mongols would have fought.
>>
>>3214745
You also whip horses and sheep.
>>
>>3214702
How? (I never played Rome2 multiplayer).
>>
>>3214920
Japan did have shields during the Jomon period, no one knows why they decided it was gay later on
>>
>>3213022
More like GURM didn't know shit about steppe cultures besides hun memes and later tried a half-assed way to justify his lack of culture.
>>
>>3214417
Light cavalry is historically the most powerful.
>>
>>3213147
The didn't have angel meme light
>>
>>3215256
>Mongols, Huns, Xiongnu, Scythians, Parthians, etc
Pretty sure all of these guys knew that charging into spears repeatedly is stupid.
>>
>>3213316
Iraq is in asia tho
>>
>>3213320
No, but a madman mercenary capable of loading bya himself a massive dragon-slaying ballista TWO TIMES in a couple of minutes can carry him to safety.
>>
>>3214920
Pikes were around in Europe way before the renaissance, they were in sporadic use before becoming very common in certain parts of Europe in the 14th century. Their usage predated the widespread employment of gunpowder.

The Samurai didn't bother with bucklers because they didn't have any swords that could take advantage of such a design.
The Romans didn't come up with heavy cavalry because they lacked the right horses for the job, and they weren't known as stellar cavalrymen anyway.
>>
File: 1500521173723.jpg (38KB, 377x377px) Image search: [Google]
1500521173723.jpg
38KB, 377x377px
>>3213271
>>
>>3210967
>Fortifications
What is the Great Wall?
>>
>>3215423
Haven't you seen the documentary starring Matt Damon?
>>
>>3210247
Depends which Mongols you are facing.
The Hungarians beat back the second incursion of large Mongol force into central Europe.
They did the following:

>Litter your country with Castles and put all winter grain stores in said Castles.

>establish a fast courier/ messenger system similar to the mongol yam. Thus the hungarians were able to respond rather quickly to the new threat.

>Train and properly equip a hard core of professional troops that lead levies into battle.

Most european armies were smashed by sometimes hilariously smaller mongol forces because they threw their best troops in one formation. Once these troops were routed, your army was undone.

>Face the Mongols in terrain that does not suit them and make their whole foraging/ supplytrain ordeal untenable.

All in all the hungarians pretty much stopped any serious mongol expansion to the atlantic and before that Europe simply lucked out because Ögedei died.
If Subutai and Batu were allowed to continue their march to the atlantic, Europe would have been crushed, no doubt.
There is a fucking reason why every top 10 list of greatest generals ever has at least 3 mongols in it.
>>
>>3215435
>Most european armies were smashed by sometimes hilariously smaller mongol forces
But the only battles in Europe were Mohi and Legnitz and both of those were similar sized forces?
>>
File: browsing kaiser.png (10KB, 426x418px) Image search: [Google]
browsing kaiser.png
10KB, 426x418px
>>3215509
Depends whic historians you ask. Mohi was a close call because Subutai had to deal with a river and crossbows. That battle could have gone either way because the terrain did not favour the mongol style of battle.

I'm personally in line with what many modern approaches on mongol army sizes are:

The mongols had very small and mobile forces and their numbers were exagerated because for the time, they appeared to be everywhere.

Legnitz was really a lopsided slaughter. I still can't fathom how an army of at most 10000 men can beat an army at least 8 times is size.

And both battles were decided when the best troops of the europeans were killed/ routed.
>>
>>3211020
>lives forever
>knows that jon snow knows about their secret weakness
>doesn't just wait 1,000 years until everyone forgets about dragonglass and invade then
what's the rush?
>>
>>3214724
This almost never happens. It's hard to keep several thousand men and animals stealthy. Their trail would be massive and sends up a dust cloud that can be seen for miles.
>>
>>3215549
they probably disembarked nearby
>>
>>3215541
If they didn't start shit in thousands of years but now they're attacking, there must be some fucking solid reason.
>>
>>3215536
>Legnitz was really a lopsided slaughter. I still can't fathom how an army of at most 10000 men can beat an army at least 8 times is size.
I mean, I get that, but it sounds like you are pretty certain of their force sizes bro.
>Between 2,000[1] and 8,000[2][3] for Mongols
>Estimates include 2,000,[2] 3,800–4,300,[4][5] 7,000,[2] 8,000,[6] 65–88 Knights Templars.[7] and 30,000 men [8]
>Historian Marek Cetwiński estimates the allied force to have been 2,000 strong, while Gerard Labuda estimates 7,000–8,000 soldiers in the Christian army.
I mean if the highest estimates for Euros are right, then it was 2K-8K vs 30K would be insane. But it sounds like they were probably roughly equivalent in sizes from the wiki.

And I found this site: http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=battle_liegnitz
>So only one tumen of Mongol warriors commanded by Ordu took part in the invasion against Poland. Considering the losses taken by Mongols during the campaign, (which included the battle of Tursk, Chmielnik, the siege of Cracow, Racibor and Kujavia) the Mongol army at Legnica could not have been composed of more than 8 thousands warriors.
>The case is much more complicated when we talk about the army of Prince Henry. Many scholars assumed the number of the Christian army to be around 30-40 thousand warriors. However this assumption is absolutely improbable. We should remember that more than 150 years later, a much bigger and richer Poland sent only 25-thousands army to fight the Teutonic Order at Grunwald (1410).
>According to Prof. Mare Cetwiñski it was about 2 thousands warriors, whereas Prof. Gerard Labuda estimates the army to be of 7-8 thousand. Since none of the parties of the battle have prevailed during the first stage, theory of Labuda seems to be more trustworthy.

It sounds like they were roughly equivalent.
>>
File: 1502202414568.webm (174KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1502202414568.webm
174KB, 640x360px
Based Guinnessbro
>>
>>3215330
Charging headlong into infantry formations? Remember the Dothraki didn't pepper the Lannisters with arrows and withdraw when pursued, they simply fired until they were able to swing at them with swords.
>>
>>3215729
Anyone who wasn't rooting for Bronn has something rotten inside.
>>
>>3210306
to keep them bunched up so they dont spread out and escape with minimal casualties? Its called combined arms, if only the dragon is there then all they have to do is focus on the dragon, the dothraki keep them honest, and form them into easily-torched formations. Its kind of like how artillery supported cavalry in the napoleonic era. The artillery would cover the cavalry's charge and soften their formation up so the cav could break through. Dany's dragon is essentially mobile artillery.
>>
>>3215770
>Go look at that hipster bar's reaction to the Sand Snakes being slaughtered
>Almost all of them seemed angry at the Sand Snakes getting killed
Who the fuck liked the Sand Snakes? They had zero redeeming qualities.
>>
>>3215779
I liked the brown ones tits if that counts
>>
>>3215762
the dothraki have a history of doing this and losing to the unsullied so there is precedent in the lore. The dothraki didnt fight lime mongols, theyre more melee focused than actual horse tribes were, and theyre extra vicious and have a culturally-embedded lack of giving a fuck. Theyre a fantasy race and they like charging and are more interested in personal glory than minimalizing casualties.
>>
>>3215779
Well I like Euron in this season but he's basically a cunt. I can more or less understand people feeling pity for any of his victims even if those victims are the cunt snakes.
>>
>obsessing over technical details in a high fantasy series
>>
File: 1501474001259.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501474001259.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>3215814
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>3215330
>Light cavalry is historically the most powerful.
Yes, for scouting and chasing fleeing opponents.
>>
>>3215814
>"BRO, YOU MUST WATCH THIS BRO. THIS IS LIKE SERIOUS, REALISTIC FANTASY."

>Spears behind shields.
>>
File: rome-julius-caesar.jpg (75KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
rome-julius-caesar.jpg
75KB, 650x400px
>>3215827
CAESAR
A
E
S
A
R
>>
>>3210244
They do not.
>>
>>3211061
you would think word that a huge horde landed and is heading your way would have reached them
>>
>>3214920
Heavy cavalry literally predates the founding of Rome, you fucking retard.
>>
>>3214688
>wasting that much manpower to guard your flanks
>no reserve units to reinforce/refresh your formation when the one part of your line under duress inevitably breaks
Literally disgusting
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-08-08-19h30m20s389.png (1MB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-08-08-19h30m20s389.png
1MB, 1280x738px
>>3215883
This season is pretty fucking rushed t.b.h. Everyone is teleporting across the Westerosi continent. I wonder what's going on with HBO.
>>
>>3215435
>All in all the hungarians pretty much stopped any serious mongol expansion to the atlantic and before that Europe simply lucked out because Ögedei died.
>If Subutai and Batu were allowed to continue their march to the atlantic, Europe would have been crushed, no doubt.
>They would win, they just decided not to!
>There is a fucking reason why every top 10 list of greatest generals ever has at least 3 mongols in it.
Ah yes, and 5 out of ten most important battles in history will be English one. Top tier lists in mainstream history kinda suck.
They weren't capable of capturing any European stone castle, why would they later had success with it? Especially, that many stone fortifications were already in Silesia and shitload of more in HRE.
Why only Mongol commanders decided to come back, because their leader died? It wasn't the first case, and each time they continued to fight. They just weren't capable of advancing further.
>>
>>3216131
They reduced the number of episodes to cut down on filler which I get but they swung to far in the opposite direction. I feel it would work better if they acknowledged somehow a greater passage of time during travels, winter setting in more and more for instance.

I can buy somewhat faster movement due to navies though, for the most part we've been watching people walking from place to place and it makes sense that people could travel faster by ship, remember Stannis making it from Bravos to the wall pretty quickly.

In general though I agree the pacing is way to rushed, Westeros went from feeling like 'Europe' to feeling like 'England' it feels much smaller now and it's pretty disorienting.
>>
>>3210231

It struck me that they didn't bother to put the wagons into a laager, when that is the most obvious tactic for an infantry force surrounded by cavalry.
>>
>>3214913
>meanwhile Euron has a fucking satellite lock on the Targaryen fleet

Fuck me, how can they NOT notice even at all a giant army in friendly country but CAN find a fleet in open blue water - something very hard even with GPS, radar, satellites, etc.
>>
>>3216203
At night, even
>>
>>3216203
Funniest part, Euron's fleet had to pass Dragonstone like 4 times in the first 2 episodes
>>
>>3216175
>most obvious tactic
>Used successfuly only by Hussties and Cossacks
>>
>>3216175

They didn't have time for that.
>>
>>3216277

You can't possibly be this retarded, goth refugees defeated the East Roman cavalry at Adrianople and killed the emperor in the process with a simple wagon ring. The Voortrekkers used a successful wagon laager against a 80k zulu horde at the battle of Blood River. Just about the only time I've read about the laager actually not being effective was at Watling Street, when Boudica inexplicably had her men fight in front of the laager instead of behind it, and then it impeded them as they tried to run away. (keep in mind I'm not mentioning this for your benefit, since your kind will inevitably use it against me, but for the benefit of the actually academically inclined who sometimes lurk this board)
>>
>>3216352
Did the East Roman cavalry have a fucking dragon? Even without that the whole point of the Lannisters being there was to protect the wagons from getting burned
>>
>>3216270
God, the naval combat in this show (especially in this season) just enrages me. Especially because it's one of the combat-related parts of the books that GRRM seems to get decently right. Some of the super-large oared warships he mentions are a bit structurally suspect (their logistics would also suck and they would have awful seakeeping capabilities on a body as open and notoriously stormy as the Narrow Sea, but we'll let that slide. Super-large oared warships did historically exist, but they were mostly vanity projects with awful maneuvering, plus by the time you get to 200+ oars like GRRM posits, you stop adding oars - even the best crew can't keep coordinated and the angles for upper oars start getting stupid - and start adding more men to super-large oars.)

Be all that as it may, GRRM's naval combat seems decent. In the Battle of the Blackwater, for instance, Davos specifically comments on the ships taking their masts and sails down for combat and forming a line of battle to ram. A couple ships being slow to do this is seen as a sign of their inexperience.

In the show, everything seems to be sailing ships rather than galleys. A totally different style of combat, etc, but whatever. All through the age of sail, though, it was common for ships to reduce sail to a bare minimum "fighting trim" when entering pitched battle (not attempting to retreat or gain weather angle, etc.). This was usually just enough sail to ensure steerage and manouverability, leaving more men to fight rather than tend sails. Ships of the line and their early modern/medieval predecessors would often close with each other at only 2 or 3 knots. You can't board and/or shoot the shit out of the other ship when you're blasting past them.
>>
File: Galley.jpg (2MB, 2900x2130px) Image search: [Google]
Galley.jpg
2MB, 2900x2130px
>>3216387
This desu.

GRRM correctly identifes galleys as the prime medieval warship.

GOT meanwhile is cogfaggotry.
>>
>>3216352
>MUH ADRIANOPLE

The goths would have won just as decisive a victory without the laager, given that they were atop a hill, fighting men who had been marching all fucking day, and the romans did not launch a coordinated attack, AND the gothic cavalry came back to fucl the romans.

>when Boudica inexplicably had her men fight in front of the laager instead of behind it, and then it impeded them as they tried to run away
Probably because it wasn't a lagger, but a baggage train, and she was on the offensive with no way to force the romans to battle.
>>
>>3216403
Just look at this fucking thing, who the fuck designs a ship like that?
>>
>>3216361

Well, you have to remember this is a history board, and wagons if available are an excellent anti-cavalry tactic, and on topic for the board and that tactics to counter meme dragons certainly are not. Incidentally the historical goths set fire to the surrounding fields to set up a smokescreen, which is actually one of the more ghetto AA tactics used during the Iran Iraq war.

>>3216288

You think the dutch settlers had time when they were being surrounded by zulus? A wagon ring is absurdly simple to put in place. Simply take the front of your wagon line, turn it around, keep turning slowly until you find the opposite end of the line and voila, you have a wagon laager. It doesn't have to be a perfect fucking circle, just good enough to break a charge.
>>
>>3216438
Batman's ship
>>
File: Moscow_daniel.jpg (480KB, 1656x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Moscow_daniel.jpg
480KB, 1656x1200px
>>3210247
Submit to Mongol rule and make a name for yourself by collecting tribute from other subjugated territories. Build your strength and wait until they fight civil wars due to dynastic troubles. Then attack.
>>
>>3216387
Beyond it freeing up crew and allowing boarding and combat to actually happen, reducing sail reduces targets. Sails and rigging are big targets, tangle easily, and light on fire easily. Of course, in GoT, the sails catch in fire all the time, not that anyone does anything about it. Fire fighting, even just of the bucket and axes variety, is nonexistent.

But fine. In the show's version of the Battle of the Blackwater, it's most all sailing ships, and they're all under normal working sail rather than fighting sail. Whatever. (I'll leave aside for now how the full-rigged ship types they're using are highly complex pieces of technology generally out of step with what we've seen from the rest of Westerosi society, but whatever.) Normal working sail I can excuse. It does aesthetically look better, maybe they needed the extra speed, whatever.

But then this season we get Euron, the fucking special salty squiddy snowflake. He decides the best thing to do is to always sail his flagship around with not only fucking topsails, moonrakers, etc. set, but also fucking studsails. (The ones that project out beyond the sides of the hull near deck level.) He even goes into battle with the fuckers set. Sure, from a visual TV perspective, it's nice to set his ship apart from the rest of his fleet, but that's already pretty easy when the fleet is mostly Norse-type longships multiple times smaller and a thousand years out of synch historically. Now, leaving aside the fact that they're lsticktly light air sails, they do look pretty cool when he initially comes sailing into King's Landing. But leaving up in battle?? What, you wanted to shoot something at the other ship? Better hope you're either fore or aft of the sail and so is your target. You wanted to pull up alongside the other ship and board? No can do, we have retarded wings sticking out from the side of out ship. You wanted to literally go any direction other than downwind? Fuck you, we don't need to maneuver in battle.
>>
>>3216439
If your objective is to stop the wagons getting burned, forming a laager is just letting them
>>
>>3216447
>>3216438

And then, during the nightime battle, after magically locating their ships, Euron ... rams Theon and Ylara's ship? With his sailing ship, which, unlike a galley, has no way to back out of the ship they've just rammed. For fuck's sake, even with galleys one of the biggest signs of a skilled crew was being able to quickly back out of a ship you rammed before being hopeless tangled, dragged down with it, counter-boarded, rammed yourself by another ship, etc. He then uses a ramp thingy to board (inspired by the Roman corvus maybe? except I'm pretty sure that was used by pulling up alongside the other ship, like every other boarding ever, so you can get crew across without creating a zone of death chokepoint for yourself.) He then boards, ignoring the fact that the ship is on fire, and is connected to his also wooden ship, which he has now hopelessly tangled with this ship. Fuck me, this is stupid.
>>
>>3210352
There's a refrence to that somewhere in the Old Testament. I think it was from before king David.
>>
>>3216439
They literally had less than four minutes, you absolute retard.
>>
>>3216403
I will say I like how GRRM doesn't fall into the "oars = slaves" meme. I mean, there were certainly slave crews, especially in the later heavier ships, with multiple men to an oar, but in the classical period it was a low-ranking but still highly skilled and somewhat prestigious profession. If you're just pulling on a log to move a weapons platform it's one thing, but for the maneuvering and quick reflex of ramming warfare with individual oars, a skilled free crew was valuable.
>>
>>3216444
You can't be afraid of the terror of the steppes if you become the terror of the steppes. Moscow just played the long con and beat them at their own game desu.
>>
File: conquest of siberia.jpg (431KB, 2305x1100px) Image search: [Google]
conquest of siberia.jpg
431KB, 2305x1100px
>>3216490
>>
File: 1314191706771.jpg (36KB, 343x503px) Image search: [Google]
1314191706771.jpg
36KB, 343x503px
>>3213556
>unsullied are shown carrying 20 foot ladders to climb the walls
>>
>>3215779
>bad poosay didn't have a final nude scene

wasted potential
>>
>>3212276
The mad king did nothing wrong.
>>
>>3216694
I mean he lost. Although honestly if I was the mad king I would have sent the Kingsguard to free Lyanna and publicly whipped Rhaegar for being a retarded little shit.

Granted if I actually was the mad king and wanted to reprimand Rhaegar I probably would have burned Lyanna in front of him before burning him to death.
>>
>>3211038
Tbh I was pretty amazed that the Lannister soldiers didn't flee in utter panic the moment they saw the dragon, or barring that, the moment it turn a dozen or so men into ash in a breath.
>>
>>3216755
That as well.
>Dothraki surrender to Dany after she showed off her Dragon.
>Lannisters kept fighting even when some Dragon flew ahead of them.
"Can't fight" my ass.
>>
>>3216748
>free Lyanna
She went willing broski
>>
>>3216825
Doesn't mean it is good for the realm for my son to "kidnap" the woman betrothed to an important lord who is herself from an important family. If Rhaegar wants to fuck other women so badly he can go to a brothel.
>>
>>3216877
I'm sorry, but Rhaegar got his last marriage annulled and married Lynna, who went willing. No law was broken. The cuck King should have been burning Northerners alive if he didn't want a war.
>>
>>3214753
the waterloo (1970) method

everyone more that 20 meters from the camera wears a tissuepaper smock with a rough approximation of the armor printed on it
>>
File: Hobilars.png (88KB, 191x280px) Image search: [Google]
Hobilars.png
88KB, 191x280px
>>3215330
>Light cavalry is historically the most powerful.

How many Hobilar units have you sent to die today?
>>
>>3212356
>one second daenerys and horse fuckers are on an island and second second are in the middle of the westeros unnoticed.

Didn't you pay attention at all? They literally stated like a minute before the battle began that they were just outside of King's Landing which, as the name suggests, is right next to Dragonstone. Sure, they should have been noticed by any number of fuckers seeing as the region is perhaps the most populated in all of Westeros but it sure as shit wasn't teleportation.
>>
DONT GO DANY IT TAKES ONE ARROW!

>almost gets spiked by one arrow
>wasnt wearing armor

I wasnt happy i hope all of her dragons die
>>
>>3217129
This made me chuckle more than it should have
>>
>>3216755
I'm not sure if it was actually intended or if it was just simply because you can't really have an action set piece if there's no army to fight, but it did at least kind of reinforce how much people had been jerking off the Lannister army as the best around when they didn't immediately just collapse and route the moment a dragon flies in and vaporizes some dudes in addition to all the dothraki charging them.
>>
File: retarded shit.jpg (46KB, 710x399px) Image search: [Google]
retarded shit.jpg
46KB, 710x399px
>>3210231
>The Lannister form a line of spears and shields to protect against a cavalry charge
>Only the second line of infantry have spears, and they stick less than a foot of the spear forward

I love how no one on this show can do anything right
>>
>>3215326
It's partially based on mongols
Stop crying over it
>>
>>3213364
Jon hanged the boy who literally killed him and it was Ramsey freaking Bolton whom Sansa fed to his own dogs. Both were cunts who deserved it, just like Jamie deserved to have his army napalmed
>>
File: Chinese Fortification.jpg (95KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese Fortification.jpg
95KB, 800x450px
>>3210967
>Fortifications
>Asians can't into technology
Have you seen this? And have you ever heard of gun and gunpowder?
>>
>>3210430
that's just storytelling, they can't spend time following the characters as they travel because, this far into the series, they have to keep the action going
>>
>>3210389
Yeah Spearmint aren't very effective against cavalry, you need peppermint
>>
>>3211162
huh
>>
>>3213933
this. Horses where afraid to charge stakes at Agincourt
>>
>>3218554
Horses fear the sharp wooden warrior
>>
>>3216203
>>3216205
>>3216270
remember euron might possess black magic
>>
>>3210244
yeah but that's not how they're supposed to be used

why do Mongols hate the laws of physics?
>>
>>3210282
win:win in this case
>>
>>3210247
>tfw /his/ believes walled cities and castles only existed in Europe
>>
>>3216131
Last season the lead actors got 300k an episode, now they're getting 1.5 million per episode. Cutting the episodes is saving them a ton.

We're getting more action than the entire show War of the Five Kings. But the battles are really too short and lacking any kind of set up. It'd really be useful if they'd given them more screen time instead of stupid shit like eunuch romance.
>>
>>3218199
Otherwise it would be hard to justify the outcome, just like the orcs pikemen always break their formation one second before the charge in the lord of the ring.
>>
>>3214716
>>3214771
The thing with that improvised fortification of flesh walls is that it can't move or barely.

You can just sit out of range of the archers and let them get tired.

You can harass them with archers while staying out of range if your bows/crossbows/siege machines don't have a shorter range than theirs or if there is a highground at range.

Seriously, there is a million ways to fuck with them. Even if you don't want to fuck with that ring, you go somewhere else and they have to break the formation to get back in line.
>>
>>3218738
Nigger, Danny had a motherfucking dragon. She could have strafed them until their lines started breaking and then have her Dothraki charge.

No matter how good the formation was the Lannisters woulda been fucked unless Bronn killed the dragon with the ballista. That doesn't make the formation they went with any less retarded, though.
>>
>>3210247
position your army in a box formation and take hits all day
>>
>>3210247
Firearms.
>>
>>3218332
Yes we agree, partially based on mongols by someone who doesn't know shit about mongols. The plains indian bullshit is just hack justification.
>>
>>3217145
How were they not stopped or at least followed by the forces of king's landing?
>>
>>3216778
I was expecting a comeback from Tyrion related to this.
>>
>>3218720
Westeros is the size of fucking south america.
>>
>>3210244
Except for just about everyone.
>>
>>3218907
Dragons are not immortals, but the author simply decided who should win. In this fictions, things change all the time in order to fit the naration.

>Dragons can't be tamed and are going to eat humans now
>Dragons submit to the mother of dragons
>Wildlings are savage who kill/rape/eat when they can and will never stop
>Unless you ask nicely, then they have honour and will serve loyally in your army
>Dothraki are savage obeying only brute force and ignore that women standing in fire
>All of them bow to a women standing in fire
>>
>>3219708
Except for the dothraki thing (which is retarded show stuff) everything is just a case of unfounded opinion against reality.
>>
>>3219659
The goldcloaks who defend King's Landing are notorious for being complete cowards in every possible way. They were caught on the other side of the Blackwater Rush, a difficult-to-pass river, and Dany's troops were even further past the Blackwater Rush. Basically, they would've had to move the 3000 man garrison out of the city, along with the Lannister army (which is probably tired from marching back to KL from Highgarden), just to save the 1500 or so man rearguard. It'd be a huge waste of troops to save a small amount of men from 40k Dothraki and a dragon.
>>
File: 1499955686717.jpg (35KB, 600x632px) Image search: [Google]
1499955686717.jpg
35KB, 600x632px
>>3211056
>enemy grabs your spear, pushes it into the ground
>whole line is now defenceless because that was their only weapon
>>
>>3220029
If you're close enough to grab some cunt's spear, you're close enough to get fucking stabbed by it, or for that matter the spear of every other cunt in that formation.
>>
>>3220029
>>3220072
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I agree that those formations are retarded.
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
>>3218738
Huh.
>>
>>3218492
>have you seen this
It's genuinely unimpressive.
>>
File: wojakelcid.png (117KB, 1475x1466px) Image search: [Google]
wojakelcid.png
117KB, 1475x1466px
>>3220137
"I am a Christian…so that I do not expect ‘history’ to be anything but a ‘long defeat’ — though it contains (and in a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or glimpses of final victory."
>>
>>3216478

1v1 me biatch
>>
>>3210247
Why did no one ever use elephants?!
>>
File: caltrops-97863636.jpg (28KB, 500x459px) Image search: [Google]
caltrops-97863636.jpg
28KB, 500x459px
>>3210244
>horse archers beat everything
lol
>>
>>3219708
>Dragons can't be tamed and are going to eat humans now
Not true. Valyrians have been taming dragons for centuries.

>Dragons submit to the mother of dragons
Dragons submit to anyone who they bond with, in this case - Daenerys. They are pretty much like trained dogs.

>Wildlings are savage who kill/rape/eat when they can and will never stop
Not true. The Wildlings are a general term of various clans, tribes, cultures, villages, etc. Some hostile and uncultured, others cultured and civilized. They prefer their freedom and way of life, and don't like the "kneelers" in the South, but they are forced to work with Jon because otherwise they get raped by the Night's King.

>Unless you ask nicely, then they have honour and will serve loyally in your army
Not really much of a choice after Mance's death (in the show) and the Others making their move. It's either that or die.

>Dothraki are savage obeying only brute force and ignore that women standing in fire
That was incredibly dumb that is only in the show, as most of the things you've mentioned in your post.

>All of them bow to a women standing in fire
Again, only in the show. But a person standing in a fire and not getting affected by it is something to think about. Especially if that person is rumored to have 3 dragons which is the equivalent of inexhaustible nuclear weapons.
>>
>>3218628
It looks like they mostly ignored the mysterious sorcerer Euron in the show though. He's basically a smug Victarion.
>>
>>3219772
>small amount of men

And the whole fucking supply train
>>
File: virgin walk and chad stride.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
virgin walk and chad stride.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>3221140
Which is incredibly unfortunate. While book Euron is incredibly edgy, he has the potential to be a great character and villain. Show Euron, albeit unintentionally funny (like killing the Sand Sneks and *teleports his fleet behind you* scenes) pretty much pales in comparison to what book Euron come to life may have been. Right now people like Euron because the show has become so absurd that having such an anime character that comes out of nowhere and does the ridiculous things he does and says is just fun to watch.
>>
>>3221174
I like show Euron because 1)The series as they are now are becoming pretty uninteresting, with a lot of characters that were fine being simplified or not given opportunities to shine (exception: Bronn) in favour of worst characters like Cersei and 2) He was absolutely bland and uncharismatic in the previous season (I even thought they had changed the actor, first), so it's not hard to become happy at him becoming a bit more entertaining if not complex

Also I liked Victarion and the show is completely unable to do book Euron justice, so welcome aboard Victeuron.
>>
>>3210352
>he doesnt know about the gungans
>>
File: Ramsay Bolton Power Hour.png (157KB, 1273x330px) Image search: [Google]
Ramsay Bolton Power Hour.png
157KB, 1273x330px
>>3221174
>Right now people like Euron because the show has become so absurd that having such an anime character that comes out of nowhere and does the ridiculous things he does and says is just fun to watch.
Just like Ramsay was
>>
>>3221137
They should have just had her mount Drogon for the first time in front of the Dothraki, muh mount the world prophecy could easily mean being able to ride a dragon
>>
>>3210612
Did it piss anyone else off when he said this?

Like you expect anyone to be able to fight against a fucking dragon in an ambush?
>>
>>3221705
No because its a TV show. What are you, an SJW?

It was a "get a load of this guy" moment though.
>>
>>3221586
Yoosa thinking, weesa gonna DIE??
>>
>>3216131
You do realize that they only cut the marching, and that dragonstone is 1/5 the distance to king's landing that highgarden is, roight?
>>
File: why i hate hannibal.jpg (255KB, 1425x833px) Image search: [Google]
why i hate hannibal.jpg
255KB, 1425x833px
>>3221122
t. Hannibal
>>
>>3221792
Hannibal didn't commit suicide. He was poisoned by the Romans after having a nice friendly vacation with Scipio Africanus in Bythinia.
>>
File: 704_Highgarden.png (199KB, 593x297px) Image search: [Google]
704_Highgarden.png
199KB, 593x297px
>>3213556
High Garden was even more disappointing.
>>
>>3221857
>having a nice friendly vacation with Scipio Africanus in Bythinia.
GAY
A
Y
>>
>>3221586
I don't remember the CGI looking this shit...
>>
>>3221915
STOP THEY WERE ONLY NAKED IN THE GYMNASIUM FOR 3 DAYS OUT OF 10.
>>
>>3214410
If you're going to nit pick then do it honestly, plenty of the Dothraki have lances. It's even a Dothraki lance Jaime use to charge Daenarys.
>>
>>3221857
What a gay way to die
>>
>>3215423
largely rammed earth
>>
>>3210231
The Poles did this and it worked.

It only stopped working as firearms improved.
>>
>>3221705
Unlike the daenarys loving faggot who commented before me it pissed me off royally too, I think it was forshadowding that the dothrakis are going to get slaughtered in some manner or another
>>
>>3221857
>nice friendly vacation with Scipio Africanus in Bythinia.
is there something in Bythinia that makes great generals crave cock?
>>
>>3221705
Not pissing off, but dothrakis are more retarded every day. They've already surpased the ironmen which was pretty hard to do.
>>
>>3222350
The poles also wore armour, had lances, and weren't fucking retarded
>>
>>3221122
Elephants suck because they're just as likely to panic and trample your own soldiers trying to gtfo
>>
>horse culture
>isnt completely filled with horse archers
>2 ranks of men with only the 2nd rank armed
>dumb helmets
>they all have plate armour, are they levies or not?
>normies eat it all up and say its great
That last bit pisses me off even more
>>
>>3213147
There were no elves at Helm's Deep, bar Legolas
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.