[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christian denominations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: home-page.png (619KB, 730x541px) Image search: [Google]
home-page.png
619KB, 730x541px
I see religious threads here sometimes so i'll ask here. I was raised by two atheist parents, but as a man I find myself drawn to Christianity. Specifically the Eastern Orthodox Church.

I don't know anything about the different christian groups but i'd like to know the basic differences. Eastern orthodox appeals to me due to the aesthetic as well as the sense i get that they are a lot less pussified compared to other denominations

sorry in advance if this is a shitty off topic thread
>>
>>3206696

>Eastern orthodox appeals to me due to the aesthetic as well as the sense i get that they are a lot less pussified compared to other denominations

this is not a genuine reason to convert
>>
>>3206707
Can you call it 'conversion' if I had no religion prior to this?
>>
>>3206707
what is a genuine reason ?
>>
File: Zograf_Monastery.jpg (531KB, 1920x1446px) Image search: [Google]
Zograf_Monastery.jpg
531KB, 1920x1446px
>>3206696
You have chosen wisely
>>
yeah who cares if its a failed apocalyptic cult, it's got aesthetics
>>
>>3206746
Wow that is beautiful

>>3206767
Care to expand? I have no idea what you're talking about.

And maybe I didn't articulate my interest properly. Maybe I am shallow because I find the art and architecture surrounding eastern orthodoxy fascinating and that is what drew me in initially, but i want to know more
>>
>>3206707
This.

>>3206774
You literally just admitted in this thread that you want to LARP as a Christian, and preferably an Orthodox one. If you don't believe that Jesus was the son of God, who sacrificed himself on the cross for mankind's sins, then you're not a Christian.

LARPers please leave.
>>
>>3206814
I suppose it's hard to believe since I wasn't introduced to it until I was an adult. I'll think about what you said. Thank you
>>
>>3206696
Eastern Orthodox churches have probably the most elegant services and aesthetics out of all the churches but the perhaps more humble possessions of the Oriental Orthodox churches, whether it's by their own will or because of circumstance, seems to simulate the popular idea of early Christian assemblies more.
In Protestantism there are some confessional and high church groups within Lutheranism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessional_Lutheranism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Church_Lutheranism
If I were to choose a church atm that would be the direction I'd lean towards and probably more towards the Lutheran side.

I'd recommend avoiding any churches which are too sermon centric as this deviates from what were the traditional practices of churches for most of history. I don't deny the ability of people to find spiritual fulfillment in churches other than than ones I favor but I naturally am interested in pursuing a current which is the most authentic and beneficial in cultivating the intended spirituality. Some modern churches however have become a front for voicing political views with fundamentalist groups on one end and churches like United Church of Christ on the other.
>>
File: Buddha.jpg (181KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
Buddha.jpg
181KB, 1600x1068px
>>3206832
No problem. But my nigga it's hard to believe because there are no a priori or a posteriori argument that explain why Christianity is the one true doctrine.

If Christianity was the way, the truth and the light then it wouldn't be hard to believe if you were only introduced to it as an adult. that it is "hard to believe" exemplifies how irrational it is.

If you want some kind of religion or philosophy to follow then I'd recommend trad. Indian Buddhism. It's not even a religion in that there is no required belief in a deity, creation story, etc. The basic gist of it is that life is quite often shit, and Buddhism can help you cope with it by understanding and enduring it.
>>
>>3206928
Christianity would have been that without the state getting involved in fleshing out doctrine and canons. Most early churches probably didn't have a full set of scriptures due in part to the fact that multi0quire book binding didn't exist yet but was spurred on by the advent of Christianity. And they didn't have it until after the religion received imperial sponsorship and the production of bibles was commissioned.
Buddhists, at least some western ones which I have seen but also some eastern, have a more comprehending view on textual criticism.
>>
>>3207017
*multi-quire
>>
Most disputes between various Christian denominations come down to the question of what the early church believed. If the church of 34 AD was Catholic/Orthodox/Protestant/Mormon/etc., albeit in a primitive form, than that's the correct interpretation, and the others are heretical. Its fundamentally a historical question. Only some very liberal protestants would claim that this question doesn't matter.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.