[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What religion would you convert to if you had to pick one?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: AyyQuinas.jpg (180KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
AyyQuinas.jpg
180KB, 1200x1200px
Nihilism is probably correct, but I feel being a materialist atheist just means missing out on a huge part of the human experience. Am drawn to high church Christianity because I love the history, the aesthetics, and like some of the values. I would probably choose Catholicism, Orthodox, or Catholic-like Protestantism because of that and I wouldn't want to join anything too ethnic
>>
>>3200007
Within the same religion but a different denomination? Orthodox. Different religion entirely? Probably Judaism.
>>
>>3200007

Probably Japanese style Shinto&Buddhism. It seems proper to honor one's ancestors and the beauty of nature, and the cultivation of virtue and mindfulness is character building.
>>
File: camus.jpg (52KB, 300x305px) Image search: [Google]
camus.jpg
52KB, 300x305px
>>3200007
The horizontal religion known as Marxism-Leninism. You can never send in too few tanks.
>>
The religion of my wife. Except Judaism.
>>
>>3200103
*many
>>
>>3200007
I agree with all of your points. My so is Mennonite and she seems to have a good thing going on. They seem to have a more modest aesthetic, but they appear to be quite enthusiastically pro-community, and have a good understanding of Christian values.
>>
If they allowed me into their secret club?
Zoroastrianism

They don't accept converts though, so I'll go with Nestorianism
>>
I'm Unitarian Universalist, the buffet table of religion. If I had to make up my mind and settle, I'd find some little, quiet protestant congregation. Probably Lutheran.
>>
>>3200181
>Nestorianism
May I ask why?
>>
Buddhist or Orthodox Christian.
>>
>>3200181
>They don't accept converts though
Funny you say that. I just read an article about Zoroastrian converts. Iran is seeing a resurgence in interest in Zoroastrianism, and some among the Persian diaspora (apostasy in Iran itself means death) are "going back" to the old religion. They see Islam as an Arab oppression of their true religious heritage.

Now don't get me wrong, we're talking about a TINY group of people here, but it's enough to make Iranian religious leaders lose their shit over it.
>>
>>3200189
I find the idea that Christ is both man and God, yet not both at the same time, appealing.
It separates the world of flesh from the Heavenly world, there is Christ the Son of God, and Jesus the man.
>>
Idk. Probably some branch of Inuit folk religion. Their shit is pretty bizarre.
>>
>>3200199
Unfortunately it's incoherent and a big part of why Christianity has terminal fail aids
>>
Ancestor worship is the only belief worthy of a patrician.
>>
>>3200197
I know Parsis don't accept converts, and they are the bigger of the two Zoroastrian communities.

But I'm not sure about the Irani.
>>
>>3200210
This. Now excuse me while I pray in my creepy heritage room with wax faces on the walls.
>>
File: u wot.jpg (68KB, 432x479px) Image search: [Google]
u wot.jpg
68KB, 432x479px
>>3200212
>wax faces
>not having your ancestors taxidermied and mounted
>>
>>3200207
The UU again. I kinda wish that Unitarianism (The trinity is leftover pagan polytheism. Prove me wrong) hadn't got absorbed into the UUA to become some big hippie clusterfuck. They had a pretty cool history, and offered what I consider to be the purest form of protestant Christianity in the Americas.

Oh, hey! Fucking around on Wikipedia just now, it seems there are some reactionaries within the UUA trying to revive traditional Unitarianism. I change my answer. Though it doesn't look like they have actual congregations, per se.
>>
Confessional Reformed or Confessional Lutheran. Probably the former. Better theology. Like >>3200188 I want a nice, quiet Protestant faith, if I'm to have any faith at all. Enthusiasm ill-suits me.
>>
File: Birthday-of-Zoroaster.jpg (63KB, 437x600px) Image search: [Google]
Birthday-of-Zoroaster.jpg
63KB, 437x600px
I'm a Zoroastrian convert, AMA.
>>
File: 1487077661190.jpg (600KB, 1700x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1487077661190.jpg
600KB, 1700x2400px
Feminism, I wish to be the little girl.
>>
>>3200302
How does Islam's total victory over it not discredit it?
>>
>>3200338

We're still around and life-affirming. We don't need to rule an empire to live the Good Life.
>>
File: image.jpg (404KB, 735x993px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
404KB, 735x993px
If I had to pick one...Islam, probably Maliki fiqh cause North African's are chill and have nice Sufi orders. Or maybe become a Hindu sannyasin. Second up would be a Christian monk, either on mt. Athos or some Catholic monastic order, or maybe a Jesuit. Only if I had to. I can't willingly convert to Abrahamic religion since I wouldn't be able to do it sincerely (because of many beliefs they have and consider compulsory to accept), but it would be pretty cool if I was forced, like if Islam dominated the west and I had to convert in order to blend in, then I wouldn't feel as bad about it. This post is serious btw, not being ironic or anything.
>>
>>3200338
Doesn't it just go to prove it? They're basically dualists who believe that sometimes evil has the upper hand and sometimes good does. This is like a dark-age for them, now they're just waiting for the """inevitable""" return of the forces of light into the world.
>>
>>3200007
Hinduism or Islam if you're sticking with Abrahamic religions

Adopting the illusorary stance of materialistic atheism degrades your mind into that of an animal. You reject the sole thing that makes human separate from animals, the ability to inquire about truth, and limit yourself to the four animalistic activities of eating, sleeping, sex, and defending. By dismissing the spiritual aspect of life entirely, a void is created in ones life that is unsuccessfully tried to be filled by means of lowly materialistic pleasures. The ultimate truth of life is never attained for the materialistic atheist because materialistic sciences will never advance to the point of conplete understanding of the universe, as spirituality is needed.
>>
>>3200368
>Hinduism
>degrades your mind into that of an animal
Worshipping animals also degrades your mind into that of an animal, I find your advocacy of Hinduism to be contradictory.
>>
>>3200377
Hindus don't worship animals
>inb4 some anectdotal shit, or some weird fringe group
>>
>>3200356

Nah, we're not dualists. Misconception in the West, it seems. We also don't believe we're in a dark age or whatever.
>>
>>3200412
Why did you become Zoroastrian?
>>
>>3200007
>being a materialist atheist just means missing out on a huge part of the human experience

What did he mean by that?
>>
>>3200426
You miss out on nonmaterial aspects of human experience that are only accesible by means that spirituality/religion provides man.
>>
>>3200426
I feel like im missing a huge part of life in the social aspect of being part of a religion and taking part of religious gatherings. I also feel like I'm missing a sense of purpose in the world (existentialism is just a meme desu)
>>
>>3200007
The Orthodox Church is ethnic for whatever ethnicity that joins the church. And I reckon it sounds like you would like Ukrainian Greek Catholicism. Orthodox "style" but still reckon the Pope is top dog.
>>
islam
>>
>>3200379
yes they do. In fact, as a degenerate pantheistic religion, it worships literally everything.
>>
>>3201006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0tB_Z8-GhU
>>
I'd probably go with Toaism or Buddhism. I think is the most centered, grounded and sincere religion.
>>
>>3200007
Protestantism or Orthodox.
>>
>>3200007
Probably Sikhism.

Their culture has a few ideals that I really like. They are really egalitarian, and militant as hell. They had the idea of the 2A, a population always armed and trained, before America even existed. However, modern sikhs are kind of cucked and I don't think I'd like the community. I guess I like historical sikhism.
>>
>>3201084
you cant convert to sikhism
>>
>>3200007
church of the flying spaghetti monster
>>
>>3200103
Pic unrelated i hope.
>>
>>3200188
>Unitarian Universalist

Cancer-tier.
>>
>>3200352
>probably Maliki fiqh cause North African's are chill and have nice Sufi orders

The Maliki school is dying. The tomb of sufi saints are being desecrated as we speak. Salafis are gaining ground everywhere.
>>
>>3201276
Fucking s*lafis ruined Islam
>>
I wish sometimes I was born into a really strict Christian protestant family and truly believed it

I see some Christian protestants and their eyes are like glazed over and they always have smiles on their faces.

I'd like to join them in that state, they must be so happy.
>>
>>3200197
It's not wrong - used to know a girl from Iran when I studied in China.

She refused to wear any islamic dress and her phone wallpaper was Zoroastrian symbols.

The muslim guys on campus kept trying to make her wear a hijab. She gave in eventually. I was pissed.
>>
>>3201312
islam was shit from the beginning
>>
>nihilism is probably correct
Nihilism is the foundation for degeneracy and laziness. There is a higher power anon. If I had to choose it would be catholicism based on their values. I also want to purge the child molestors and start a rebirth for catholics as well. The pope needs to go. Crown me.
>>
File: 1413735587775.png (486KB, 526x700px) Image search: [Google]
1413735587775.png
486KB, 526x700px
>but I feel being a materialist atheist just means missing out on a huge part of the human experience
you do realize that being an atheist doesn't necessarily make you a materialist?

You don't need religion for self-improvement and to realize that material wealth only brings trouble with it
>>
>>3201428
>There is a higher power anon
unlike you, nihilists can actually put on rational arguments to support their world view. How are you supposed to convince anybody of the existence of a higher power when you can't even describe it yourself?

(not saying nihilism isn't causing trouble but the exact reason it's causing trouble is because it makes sense and people are "converting" to it)
>>
>>3200007

Islam

Get to just slap around people in public and rape women and the authorities will just make some excuse for me and arrest people who actually say what I did was wrong.
>>
>>3200007
Islam I have a fetish for women in muslim clothes and I don't think highly of women.
>>
>>3200007
Some kind of christianity, because upbringing. Preferable something similar to hinduism if that exists?
>>
>>3201472
Faith and axioms.
>>
>>3200247
Then you really would've liked the brand of American Unitarianism that existed prior to the 1960s. Unitarians and their churches were so humble and unassuming, other protestants found them to be dull and boring. One protestant preacher observing a Unitarian service famously said
>"Here the word made flesh is now made word again."
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.