[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here tried meditation? Does it work? Any tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: photo.jpg (90KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
90KB, 900x900px
Has anyone here tried meditation? Does it work? Any tips?
>>
Yes, Tantra and Dzogchen.
It allows you to reach higher states of awareness like the kind psychedelics and ecstasy produce without having to imbibe anything.
>>
>>3193990
avoid kundalini stuff at all costs
>>
>>3194001
why?
>>
>>3194011
any actual practioner will tell you that its dangerous, and only for very advanced yogis―it leads to delusions, hallucinations, etc if done wrong. meditation is supposed to be about clarity. a lot of westerners promote it because lf the edgy appeal of muh sexual energies n shieeet, but dont fall for the trap

mindfulness meditation is the most basic and easy to learn. start there, read about it online
>>
>>3193990
>just turn your brain off
>>
>>3194026
meditation turns off useless thought loops and daydreaming so you can optimize brain power
>>
yes
i am hindu, i read the following materials because i found the topics they would cover interesting, and they also helped me with meditation (and yoga to a lesser extent)
>Bhagavad Gita (Barbara Stoler Miller translation)
>Upanishads (just google for a pdf of it)
>The Orthodox Way by Kallistos Ware
>The Desert Fathers
>101 Zen Stories (just google for a pdf)
>Yoga: Discipline of Freedom (BSM translation again)
>>
>>3193990
It works but a lot of it depends on what you put into it. if you have trouble just concentrate on counting the length of your breaths and remember that visualization, and fancy forms of breathing are advanced techniques.

You are going to want to empty your mind but this is hard if not impossible, instead when a though appears let it pass rather than focusing in on it. Go back to your counting until that falls away too

Look out for hyperventilation from breathing to deeply
>>
File: 7320970874803349395-account_id=6.png (225KB, 1080x988px) Image search: [Google]
7320970874803349395-account_id=6.png
225KB, 1080x988px
>>3193997
I couldn't have said it better
>>
>>3193990
It doesn't work with me desu. I just get tired of sitting with a good posture. All it does is clear my mind for a sec.

I've gotten more interesting experiences from the Jesus prayer desu.
>>
>>3194496
repeating a prayer over and over while pooring your concentration into it is a form of meditation

>I just get tired of sitting with a good posture

That is more of a personal issue, that said you cant have really productive meditation with bad posture.
>>
>>3195011
>repeating a prayer over and over while pooring your concentration into it is a form of meditation
Yeah, I know, but I was assuming OP was trying to talk about the more common use of the term of meditation.

>That is more of a personal issue
Yeah, yeah I know. I'm sure for people with better posture (and core strength) that meditation is much more effective.
>>
What's even the point of meditation?
>dude! enhanced awareness bro!
Yeah well come back when you start seeing in slow motion.
>>
>>3193990
just sit silently somewhere, without any distractions and let your mind converse with itself.

you can either try to empty your mind to see what bubbles to the surface or you can try and direct yourself.

there isn't a wrong way to do it.
>>
File: 1482838248506.png (43KB, 288x302px) Image search: [Google]
1482838248506.png
43KB, 288x302px
>>3193990

yeah, I closed my eyes and just tried to think of absolutely nothing, and I almost started to hallucinate. Like, you know when you close your eyes for a while and then you just start seeing shapes in the black? well I saw that a lot. And you know how when you close your eyes, but face a high light source, the light seeps through and you see a sort of red instead of black? I started to experience something like that, and then it just got brighter and brighter until the point that my eyes started to water and it hurt to much so I opened my eyes.

Not eveny trying to post some /x/ tier shit either, I was inside, looking down, while the lights were off, away from the window, while it was cloudy and dark outside anyway, so it couldnt have been I was facing some light source anyway. Is this supposed to happen?
>>
I tried what some say, about visualizing the larger place around you: your room, your house, your neighborhood, your city. I don't think I'm doing it right, has anyone ever tried it?
>>
>>3195292
Start with mindfulness meditation, it's the most basic. The Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson is a good intro. Basically just sit still (good posture) and pay attention to breath going in and out (without deliberately altering breathing). Do it for about 10-20 mins. Don't expect to be successful the first time.
>>
>>3195307
I do it some nights (though I should be more frequent with it), but I still don't know how to approach what I've mentioned.
>>
>>3193990
>Does it work?
For what? For health? Yes. For better concentration? Yes. For general well-being? Yes.
All the above is well-documented online.
Learn how to meditate from this brief booklet: http://www.meditationexpert.com/ebok/howtomeditate.pdf
and these audio guided meditations may help, especially for those who difficulty focusing or getting a routine started: http://www.mediafire.com/file/9avnnk9e5180bon/Meditation.zip
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.