[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

History of Languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

Anyone else really like reading about the history and developments of various languages?

Also anyone else really big on language purity, i.e. the autism countries like France and Iceland have where they try to minimize foreign influences and bastardization of their languages as much as possible. I couldn't give a shit about racial or cultural purity but I can completely understand the mindset of trying to preserve a language as is.
>>
>>3193887
I don't read about it that much but I think about fairly often
>>
>>3193887
>I couldn't give a shit about racial or cultural purity but I can completely understand the mindset of trying to preserve a language as is.
I only care about it to the extent that it makes the language efficient.

Foreign influences are completely okay, if they improve the language. For example, the way the French have named the numbers 21-80 is complete nonsense and should be scrapped as soon as possible.
English is full of irregular words that are completely arbitrary and should be replaced.

Fuck traditions if the traditions are dumb. Preserve them if they make sense.
>>
>>3193887
Very much so, but I have no idea where to learn about such things. Any recommendations?
>>
>>3193887
>but I can completely understand the mindset of trying to preserve a language as is.

Cultural purity is the only acceptable reason for leaving a language to stagnate, unless you believe that their languages allow them to communicate objective ideas? (impossible with every single language we have, except maybe mathematics and computer languages).

There is not one single reason to stop working on the way a language works, because as it stands all spoken languages are flawed in that they do not communicate effectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_semantics
goodreads.com/book/show/2343374.The_Tyranny_of_Words
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Korzybski
>>
>>3193939
I recommend you the work of Claude Hagège
>>
>>3193887
Are you latino?
>>
>>3193947
>because as it stands all spoken languages are flawed in that they do not communicate effectively.
I should reword that to -
>as effectively as they can.
>>
>>3193972
Why would I care about preserving the purity of monkey latin
>>
I love etymology. My favourite word is: window.

I’m german, and the common german word for window is ‚Fenster‘.

From Wikipedia: ‚The English language-word window originates from the Old Norse 'vindauga', from 'vindr – wind' and 'auga – eye', i.e., wind eye.[3] In Norwegian Nynorsk and Icelandic the Old Norse form has survived to this day (in Icelandic only as a less used synonym to gluggi), in Swedish the word vindöga remains as a term for a hole through the roof of a hut, and in the Danish language 'vindue' and Norwegian Bokmål 'vindu', the direct link to 'eye' is lost, just like for 'window'. The Danish (but not the Bokmål) word is pronounced fairly similarly to window.

Window is first recorded in the early 13th century, and originally referred to an unglazed hole in a roof. Window replaced the Old English eagþyrl, which literally means 'eye-hole,' and 'eagduru' 'eye-door'. Many Germanic languages however adopted the Latin word 'fenestra' to describe a window with glass, such as standard Swedish 'fönster', or German 'Fenster'. The use of window in English is probably because of the Scandinavian influence on the English language by means of loanwords during the Viking Age. In English the word fenester was used as a parallel until the mid-18th century. Fenestration is still used to describe the arrangement of windows within a façade, as well as defenestration, meaning to throw something out of a window.’

I love this word because it is poetic and strikingly apt.
>>
>>3194021
Nah it's just that latino mongrels worship the kind of ugly blue-eyed, pig kind nose, of girls like OP's pic.

Go no.
>>
>>3193887
this actress is super qt
but yes OP, i love learning abou etymology and how languages are related
i know random words and phrases in so many different languages, wish i had the time to learn more languages
i know spanish, hindi, gujarati well enough to hold basic conversations
i can understand some french, greek, and mandarin, but not very well
>>
>>3193887
Look at that fucking masculine chin. Gross.
>>
>>3193929
>Fuck traditions if the traditions are dumb. Preserve them if they make sense.
fucking new-worlders
>>
File: 27694569-512-k510675.jpg (39KB, 512x800px) Image search: [Google]
27694569-512-k510675.jpg
39KB, 512x800px
>>3194039
>>3194172
>>
File: 1474295809851.jpg (363KB, 1250x938px) Image search: [Google]
1474295809851.jpg
363KB, 1250x938px
>>3193887
Trying to preserve a living language in one static form is a mission doomed to failure. It's virtually impossible for cultures to interact and not share linguistic influence, and even if you could, languages evolve on their own all the time. Pronunciations drift, grammar morphs, and people just make up entire new words when it suits them.
>>
>>3193887
Yes. I was doing some modding for CK2 to make more period accurate names for places and titles and such and while I was looking through old dictionaries and documents and stuff I got really interested in comparing them to the little bits of other languages I know now and ended up on my own just reading about the development and divergences of language families and stuff. It's really interesting.
>>
File: Europe Dialects Fixed.png (503KB, 2151x1621px) Image search: [Google]
Europe Dialects Fixed.png
503KB, 2151x1621px
>>3193887
Languages don't stay static forever and France is an extreme example of a country which largely eliminated all regional languages to standardise the language. Which is not exactly preservation.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.