[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making Parthian Chicken tonight (Roman cooking)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_1708.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1708.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Anyone experimented with ancient recipes before?

I'm using the recipe from Apicius. This seems like a Roman take on some sort of Parthian dish which was served at fancy dinners.

I have my homemade liquamen and date paste ready. The liquamen is made from reduced grape juice (which I squeezed myself) and Asian fermented fish sauce.

The recipe I found is on a site that filters think is spam. Just type pass the Garum into search and you'll be able to find it if interested.
>>
File: IMG_1709.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1709.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Toasting caraway seeds, a little fennel, a tiny bit of cumin. Using celery salt because that stuff is made of lovage seed which I could t find pure.

I also had to search for asafoetida, the closest approximation to 'silphium' which the romans farmed to extinction in Libya. The shit reeks of sulphur and like bad vegetable ramen flavouring.
>>
File: IMG_1710.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1710.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
realised I'm a retard who didn't post the recipe. Just bunged it in the oven and waiting to taste it. Will give in depth review of taste in 45 mins to an hour provided mods haven't moved this to cooking or banned me.

4-5 Chicken Thighs
1/2 Leek
180 ml Red Wine
2 tbsp Fish Sauce (Liquamen)
1 tsp Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Ground Lovage Seed
Either 2 tsp Caraway Seeds or 1 tsp Cumin Seeds & 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
>>
File: 180px-Apicius_1541.jpg (15KB, 180x277px) Image search: [Google]
180px-Apicius_1541.jpg
15KB, 180x277px
>>3193010

nice, I cooked some recipes of Apicius' a couple years, one dish I believe was chicken and apricots with garum

garum made a lot of things fucking delicious
>>
>>3193043
fuck it's not even done and yet it already looks tasty
>>
>>3193058
Mmmmm. That sounds really nice. Garum is a weird one. Smells and tastes totally gross on its own but combined with other tastes it is amazing.
I'm currently looking into ordering mice meat from Eastern Europe to make a dormouse recipe. Is that retarded? It feels like it might be. Also considered just buying a frozen pack from a reptile shop. Again I have a feeling that may be retarded.

>>3193063
Thanks! Smells weird as fuck kinda nutty, meaty fishy smell.
>>
>>3193010
nice OP. i suppot this 100%. post the doormouse recipe whenever you get your hands on mouse meat
>>
>>3193194
I assume from the Tesco chicken you are in U.K? There are mouse farmers there who breed mice especially for eating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ejpw6k32Gs
>>
File: IMG_1712.jpg (990KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1712.jpg
990KB, 2592x1936px
Ok. It has a nice really fragrant taste from all the herbs and spices. The date paste though makes it taste out of this world. For some reason I assumed it would be a very alien taste to the modern palette but it isn't too far off coq au vin but with a distinctly planty taste. May elaborate further but I'm super hungry right now.
>>
File: garum.jpg (35KB, 202x700px) Image search: [Google]
garum.jpg
35KB, 202x700px
>>>/ck/ generals on /his/ would be neat
>>
I come from a very italian house hold. so one time i got a hold of our pasta. and the craziest idea stuck me what if i made a sauce out of TOMATOES! crazy right, ok im going to try it out and ill let you guys know how it goes. hope i dont die!
>>
>>3193355
>but it isn't too far off coq au vin but with a distinctly planty taste

It looks a lot like coq au vin. Very nice

I cook and bake quite often but the only actual "ancient" thing I tried to do was Posca. It was pretty good and was greater for the gym. Quenched your thirst and the acid seemed to really keep you from getting worn out
>>
>>3193253
Uma delicia
>>
>>3193387
why did this seem funny to you?
>>
I've finished now. The recipe says the date paste is optional. I would massively disagree. Without it it would have been nice but nothing special, the date paste is just amazing with the sauce. The tastes are perfectly paired with each other. The sauce recipe is made of all relatively Roman ingredients or at least commonly found ones. Dates were imported from North Africa and the east as a sweetening agent which was cheaper than honey, which I would assume is the "Parthian" element of the dish.

I seriously may well make that again. once you have your own liquamen/Garum and the other components, chicken thighs and leek is super cheap.

>>3193419
Posca you say? Recipe looks simple enough, will add it to the list. When I lived in turkey for a few year they had this drink made from purple carrot vinegar. (Salgam suyu) Sounds gross but it was pretty nice and refreshing (especially if you like pickled food)
>>
>>3193425
I think because tomatos only came over from the new world and weren't a part of Italian cuisine until someone had the idea of mixing it with pasta. It would have been a novel idea at some point.
>>
What book did you get OP? I'm trying to decide on which book to get but they all seem to have their shortcomings based on customer reviews.
>>
>>3193558
The spam filter won't let me post the website. I tried to tinyurl it to no avail. Just search 'pass the Garum' on any reputable search engine and the blog page will come up.

It's a blog called 'pass the garum' the guy is quite riguorous in his fact checking and sources. I've trawled quite a few of these types of sites and I honestly think this one is one of the best.
>>
File: woja.jpg (36KB, 427x461px) Image search: [Google]
woja.jpg
36KB, 427x461px
>>3193010
>Named a dish 'Parthian chicken'
>Named a 'bread Croissant'
>Named a bird 'turkey'
>naming food after your enemies
Why do westerners do this?
>>
>>3193630
Go to bed Erdogan. Its too late.
>>
Farthian*
>>
>>3193630
Kek, I do actually know the answer to one.

>traders exporting guinea fowl from Africa via Ottoman Empire
>get call turkey coqs (cocks) I.e turkey chickens
>find crazy big bird in the new world. Start importing them back to Europe. Everyone thinks they are still the same bird as the guinea fowl
>gets named turkey coq
>people eventually drop the coq and just call it turkey

In turkey they are called Indian chickens (Hindi something) because they thought those were being imported across the Atlantic from India.
>>
File: reaction, happy face.jpg (2KB, 124x83px) Image search: [Google]
reaction, happy face.jpg
2KB, 124x83px
>>3193488
thanks for getting my really stupid joke about pasta sauce
>>
It's been too long since there's been a decent thread on /his/.
>>
>>3193630
so you can pretend you are eating your enemy
>>
>>3193482
It's just honey and coriander seeds cooked with red wine vinegar and water. Pretty tasty, the recipe I used could've done well to be a bit more watered down
>>
>>3193986
I for one enjoy talking about ww2 and the ethnicity of the ancient Egyptians every single day.
>>
>>3193675
I laughed so hard at this
>>
>in the new age, people interested in history will try ancient recipes to understand the taste of ancient world

No. they are not interested in history. They are only interested in the chicken.
>>
>>3193677
Nah, it's indian chicken in spanish as well and it's because the americas were the west indies. It's an indian chicken as in native american.
>>
>>3194031
Don't forget talking about what the Civil War was ((((really)))) about.
>>
File: nigger chocolate.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
nigger chocolate.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>3193986
>decent
You mean inoffensive and boring? let me fix that for you
Pic related is chokladboll (chocolate ball), formerly and historically known as negerboll (nigger ball)
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
Yeah I did this once to LARP. Eat roman food all day. Its basically like picnic food. Lots of grainy wheaty bread in olive oil, grapes, salad with olive oil dressing, olives, cucumbers.

For dinner chicken cooked in olive oil, with bread and melted cheese. They probably could do quite a few combinations, but it seems they were much more limited than we are today.

I wouldn't totally dislike eating that way for the rest of my life, it seems really healthy
>>
File: IMG_1715.png (277KB, 476x487px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1715.png
277KB, 476x487px
>>3194171
German treat which used to be called "nigger kisses"

>working at German xmas market in U.K.
>stalls swap various foods
>we swapped a pork steak for these german sweets
>try to reinvent it by adding a bunch of different flavours and chocolates
>find one covered in white chocolate
>"hey, look! They make aryan kisses now"
>"zat is not a funny joke anon"
> [awakwardness intensifies]
>>
>>3193982
No worries. I am fluent in mongolese. I make similarly retarded jokes no one but me finds funny.
>>
>>3193367

> nuoc mam

Fucking A, bubba. Add that to the pan before you toss in the rice. It makes awesome fried rice.
>>
File: IMG_1717.png (135KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1717.png
135KB, 600x900px
OP here with an update. Asafoetida was a key ingredient which smells kind of bad (like a cross between a leek and sulphur) It is giving me absolutely heinous farts that smell like I ate farts for dinner. Take it easy on the asafoetida guys.
>>
>>3194638
it's a common ingredient in Indian cooking. it hasn't given me farts though OP
>>
>>3194646
Maybe you just couldn't tell the difference
>>
File: 1500589023785.png (81KB, 312x348px) Image search: [Google]
1500589023785.png
81KB, 312x348px
>/ck/ & /his/ crossover
Unexpected but good.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.