[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Forces in Exile

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

I know that during WW2 several countries had armies in exile after their governments capitulated (Poland and France being the two that come to mind).

My question is how did these armies resupply themselves with manpower since they were cut off from their home nations.
>>
>>3192714
they didn't unless some people managed to GTFO from the nazi occupied lands and join them
>>
>>3192714
Slip through neutral countries like Spain and then get to British ally Portugal
>>
>>3192714
I don't know for the french, but when polish army in exile went to battle, they would take in poles who served in Wehrmacht and surrendered/deserted
>>
>>3192714
France had huge colonies in Africa, where the fight back against Germany started. They didn't really have any problem to resupply with manpower.
>>
any way they could...from deserters from the germans...to rescued or escaped POWs..people that had escaped on there own..from colonies and expats
>>
>>3192714
>My question is how did these armies resupply themselves with manpower
Poles and Czechoslovak could easily escape to USSR, getting to Britain was much harder job and only few men managed to do so.
>>
>>3192714
like everyone said, deserters from combat

Poles also evacuated to neutral southern european countries and from there made their way to Allied occupied Africa, and from there to England
>>
File: Polish_Infantry_Private_1939.jpg (105KB, 537x640px) Image search: [Google]
Polish_Infantry_Private_1939.jpg
105KB, 537x640px
>>3193005
>they didn't unless some people managed to GTFO from the nazi occupied lands and join them

There was a steady (albeit, small) stream of people escaping their occupied homelands to join their nation’s army in exile.

My dad was 15 years old when the Germans invaded Poland in 1939 and tried three times to escape and join the Polish Army in Exile.

The 1st time he tried, the Germans caught him and sent him back home.

The 2nd time he tried, the Germans caught him, beat the shit out of him and sent him back home.

The 3rd time he tried, the Germans caught him, beat the shit out of him and shipped him off to a labor camp in Austria where after 6-8 months, he was released and sent to work as a farm hand on an Austrian family’s farm where in early 1945, he ran off (after knocking up the farmer’s daughter - I didn’t find out I had a half-sister until my dad died) and made his way into Italy but the war ended before he could join the Polish Army.
>>
File: polish airborne brigade arnhem.jpg (48KB, 491x735px) Image search: [Google]
polish airborne brigade arnhem.jpg
48KB, 491x735px
>>3192714

Most were troops who were evacuated by sea or fled to neutral countries. They also recruited from their own nationals who were living abroad at the start of the war.

>>3193794

>my dad

hello oldfag
>>
>>3192714
Czechoslovaks mostly from Ruthenia when it got liberated. Bafore liberation, a lot of American imigrants joined, also deserters from Slovak army and Slovaks from Hungarian army, like my grandpa Imrich Kucharik.
>>
>>3192714
>after their governments capitulated (Poland
When it capitulated?
>>
They formed military divisions and air squadrons under Allied command. They were armed and organized to match either the British or American models, while being wholly manned by exiled French, Poles, Czechs etc. Even formations that escaped with much of their TO&E, like the Vichy French Divisions in North Africa, still wound up reorginizing under American doctrine and equipment.

The French organized under US doctrine, with US gear.
The Poles organized under Brit doctrine and gear.

Only naval formations kept theur native equipment, which happend to be whichever ships they managed to escape with.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.