[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what was greek warfare like before the Hoplites?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Greek_hoplite.png (10KB, 331x267px) Image search: [Google]
Greek_hoplite.png
10KB, 331x267px
what was greek warfare like before the Hoplites?
>>
The black ebonoids who constructed the Greek City States would commonly utilize rushes by energy shielded power spear wielding shock troops as entrenched fortifications would hold down the white cave people attempting to take over.
>>
first replier of this thread:
you're not funny.
>>
>>3187999
And you don't know how to take a joke or reply.

I'm not the first poster, I just came to this thread to call you an idiot.
>>
>>3187968
Heroic. Individual tribal chieftains fighting with chariots and all that fine jazz. The Iliad preserves aspects of pre-hoplite revolution warfare.
>>
>>3188011

And you must be among the unfunniest guys in the world.

I am not the second poster, I just came to this thread to call you an idiot.
>>
>>3188021
Were the armies still the self-equipped citizen-soldiers like the hoplites, but just using smaller shields and less organized tactics?
>>
>>3188030
>unfunniest
das not a rael word mane
:>
>>
>>3188035
>Were the armies still the self-equipped citizen-soldiers like the hoplites, but just using smaller shields and less organized tactics?

Sort of, but the key difference is that the idea of the citizen soldier was a later development. In earlier periods soldiers fought for their tribal leaders based on the power of their charisma and prestige, and more importantly the loot that they had been promised by them. The idea of fighting for your "polis" was not ingrained. Most Greek states in the Archaic period were monarchies, tribes or oligarchies.
>>
>>3188073
Do you think that the development of the hoplite army contributed to the rise of tyrants at the end of the archaic age?
>>
>>3188035
>Ancient Greek
>Soldiers
keke
I'd recommend askhistorians for a real, clear answer because here you'll get bs and memes. There's one mod over there in particular who has shed a lot of light on Greek warfare and does away with misconceptions.
>>
>>3189529
ah parrot Reddit hour like all the "intellectuals" on this board do :)

you could try actually reading a fucking book too moron
>>
>>3187968
Autistic screeching by champions, the throwing of spears, and figure-of-8 shields.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.