[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Education in History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: farting bull.jpg (70KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
farting bull.jpg
70KB, 800x500px
A couple of months ago, I came across this board and ever since I check in once in a while. Although I've noticed that sometimes the questions asked on this board meet the standards of historical questioning, most of the time they do not. Since I am doing research on the education in History on high school level and what notions students (or people in general) have off history, I thought I might give it a go here as well.

So, if you would do so sincerly, please answer me this.

What were/are your experiences off the history classes in high school?

What did you learn in those classes?

What did you want to learn, if it was up to you?

Do you feel that you were thaught how to grasp History (or the past)?

In what way did your teacher influence your understanding of history (obviously he or she must have do so without any doubt, but how did they teach you and/or where lied the emphasis?

In which ways did 'the world outside the classroom' shape or help form your understanding of History?

I do not know what to quite expect from this board, since there is a good mix of seriousness and sometimes fun to read bs.

Do keep in mind that if you are willing to take your time to answer my questions, they might be used for my research (in a minor way, since my main focus remains with the current history students in high schools), even the less sincere answers. But obviously you will remain anonymous, since this whole website revolves around that notion.

I am curious for your answers

WIth regards
>>
Britbong so college for me;

My A-Level was split into three, with coursework (on the Civil Rights Movement of the US), the British Empire, and the making of modern Britain and the USA.

British Empire consisted of everything from the Battle of Plassey that secured us in India in 1757 to the start of the First World War - ranging from the adoption of free trade, the creation of the worlds greatest navy, the colonisation of Australia, Canada, and India, and the American Revolution and our failures that led to its success.

Making of Modern Britain and the USA was pretty shit, basically the level of economic and social change.

To be fair I'd say that'd be the best our education system could offer us while keeping history useful to a degree - half something amazingly interesting, and something more applicable to the modern day that, while not as interesting, does help you understand the modern world. I took Government and Politics and Business Studies alongside the History A-Level, so it all added up pretty decently.

There wasn't much pandering to political correctness, if that's what you mean, other than attempts to make us all feel bad for the Aboriginals getting ill and apparently being our fault.

Hope that helps.
>>
History in my public highschool was alright, it generally covered the basics, World History in Freshman year and AP U.S history in Junior year, I did take some history class in sophomore year but I honestly can't remember it, I think it was European history. World history was your general ancient history to modern day stuff and U.S history covered the Colonial period to Modern day in theory but we only got to LBJ by the end of the year due to a heavy focus on Puritans in America and LBJ.

I would have liked a bit more focus on lesser known topics or a deeper look but you have to stick to the curriculum somewhat in my state/county so it's understandable that the amount of time spent on topics covered were short.

There was a heavy focus on essay writing and analyzing sources in all of my history classes, even in middle school, so I feel that I was taught fairly well in regards to interpreting and understanding history.

The only teacher that I can say obviously influenced my understanding was my AP US history teacher, particularly her extreme focus on Puritans (we spent nearly a month on them alone) changed my view of the founding of America very significantly.

I got a lot of information about history outside the class. Probably more than from highschool classes, since they retreaded middle-school material a bit and I was interested in history beforehand. Embarrassingly enough most of it was Wikipedia and video game related but I began to read actual historical books in my Junior and Senior years of Highschool.
>>
File: calvin.png (568KB, 469x600px) Image search: [Google]
calvin.png
568KB, 469x600px
>>3186034
Former NSW HSC Modern History student here.

> What were/are your experiences off the history classes in high school?

One of the few subjects I actually enjoyed. I did economics, physics, mathematics, English, but it was history that made high school worth it.

>What did you learn in those classes?

We did an Albert Speer and Joseph Stalin personality study. We studied the growth and destruction of Weimar Germany and WWI.

> Do you feel that you were thaught how to grasp History (or the past)?

Indeed, I would daresay that in my locality, I'm one of the few who actually understands how intimately the present is tied to our past.

> In which ways did 'the world outside the classroom' shape or help form your understanding of History?

I'm the child of two parents who are only here because of a 20th century conflict. My own life drove me to understand how things connect to each other in the grand scheme of things.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.