[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did the ancient-ancient Greeks call themselves Europeans? Who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: greece.jpg (605KB, 1300x1200px) Image search: [Google]
greece.jpg
605KB, 1300x1200px
Did the ancient-ancient Greeks call themselves Europeans? Who invented the concept of "Europe"? Romans had the whole "EVROPA" thing right?

I came across one of those black scholars where the wewuz memes comes from and he said that during the ancient ancient times the greeks didn't consider themselves european and that the concept of european was created later
>>
>>3180141
they considered themselves greek. thats pretty much it, its as it should be. youre bound to your birthplace, your nation, not some continent shit or political agenda.
>>
File: Cartoon_2.jpg (114KB, 700x507px) Image search: [Google]
Cartoon_2.jpg
114KB, 700x507px
Εὐρώπη is mentioned in the Homeric Hymns, and I wouldn't take anything the WUZ crowd said seriously
>>
>>3180153
So who started the concept of Europe? The romans?
>>
>>3180206
>So who started the concept of Europe?
Geographically, you already have greek references all the way back the VI century BC, when Anaximander places the border between Europe and Asia along the river Phasis in modern day Georgia.
Culturally, Europe is a carolingian concept, meant as a way to designate the sphere of influece of the western church, as opposed to the byzantine and islamic worlds.
>>
>>3180153
>youre bound to your birthplace, your nation, not some continent shit
It's literally the same thing on a slightly bigger scale. There's no reason why you couldn't call Europe your birthplace, as a European.
>>
>>3180141

Myceneans would have been well aware their ancestors came from their north

Later Greeks, maybe not.
>>
>>3180141
Europe, Asia and Libya (Africa) were geographic terms with Greece at it's centre.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.