[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (69KB, 740x415px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 740x415px
How do you resolve the issue of moral relativism? The whole concept of morality seems bunk when you actually examine it. The only solution I can think up is a goal-oriented morality: i.e. if you want X then whatever leads to X is good and whatever prevents X is bad. I mean objective morality is a pretty silly and baseless idea, isn't it?
>>
>>3173695
History and humanities, not philisophy
>>>/lit/
>>
>>3173729

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanities#Philosophy

>>3173695

I think you have resolved it. Morality is a human construct and has only the force we give it. Humans have evolved a sense of morality (evident in babies) because it is prosocial and thus aids the survival of the species.

Therefore you should voluntarily bind yourself by the dominant public morality in your area when your actions are traceable to you, but act in your own self interest when you can get away with it
>>
>>3173695
You're right. Morality is a structure to reach your arbitrarily chosen end-state. If you make up rules willy-nilly you're an idiot. You can still have general rules like not killing unprovoked because the breakdown in order is undesirable and generally speaking killing someone unprovoked is bad. People with a God or something else that creates a universal standard can get away with arbitrary rules but unless you're just invoking your deity you have to justify each layer of morality by ensuring its cohesive and points towards the same goal.
>>
Metamodernism provides the answer.

All narratives are problematic, but narratives are useful.

Therefore, follow or create a narrative wherein whatever is useful to you in the long-run is moral. Then stick with it, unless circumstances change radically. Create arguments for why these actions are moral to explain why you use this morality to other people.
>>
>>3173695
Human morality has changed over the course of history.

From being naked to stoning people to death to having the entire body covered except for the eye to being naked. The moral relativism is due to inherent human nature. If human were static people, moral staticism would make sense. But that's just chasing a ghost at that point. No-thing in the universe is static. Everything moves according to another.
>>
>>3173827
just because jungle niggers thought murder was okay at some point in time, doesn't mean that it was
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.