[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warring States

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Chinese_plain_5c._BC-en.svg.png (169KB, 450x304px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese_plain_5c._BC-en.svg.png
169KB, 450x304px
Anybody got any good english fucking sources for the spring and autumn/warring states period?
Everything's in fucking chinese
>>
The problem with Chinese history is that you have to learn Chinese
>>
Yeah well that sucks. Learning Chinese isn't like learning French or Russian. Why aren't there translators at work already?
>>
Primary sources? I'm literate in Chinese, but at any rate there are a lot of english translations available and being produced.

I'm going to expand your time period to include the Spring Autumn period. So, about 8th century down to 3rd century.

The obvious ancient source is the Shi Ji, written during Western Han. I don't like to read Chinese texts that clearly date from after 3rd c. BCE, but that's the most prominent primary source material.

There is the Zuo Zhuan, which was written during the time period we're discussing. It is coupled with the spring and autumn annals, and there are English translations. The text covers the 8th to 5th century.

A fun text focusing on the later half of the time period is the Zhan Guo Ce, or strategies of the warring states. A quick Google shows that there is a free english translation available.

If you read all that, and you want more texts that were actually written during the time period discussed, it becomes trickier.

There is a text called the guanzi, which is a compendium of essays. The xiao kuang and da kuang chapters are historical narratives. You can also look at the five classics, parts may be of interest to you.

Finally, you could look at strictly philosophical works. They constantly relate stories and refer to historical occurrences.

All of these should have english translations.
>>
>>3172650

Thanks my dude
>>
File: IMG-20170730-WA0002.jpg (306KB, 747x1328px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170730-WA0002.jpg
306KB, 747x1328px
>>3172650
Thanks so much for the spring board
>>
>>3172521
CCP won't let you look at their stuff if you don't follow their sanitized correct Marxist interpretation of history
>>
>>3173305 Taiwanese and HongKonggers do not study history or use only Communists' shit?
>>
I don't think their history is for export. Strange how it's a black hole in our knowledge but I don't think Chinese care at all.
>>
>>3173609
http://scholars-stage.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-chinese-strategic-tradition.html?m=1
A good overview of the problem. There are few academics with the ability to translate the primary sources, and little incentive for them to do so. The dearth of popular narrative histories of important parts of Chinese history is more mysterious to me.
>>
>>3173305
t. retard

Whether the modern edition is made in traditional/simplified Chinese doesn't matter,they are copied verbatim.
>>
File: 1462368963360.jpg (69KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1462368963360.jpg
69KB, 960x960px
>>3173305
imperialists BTFO
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.