[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>one of the lowest loss rates (relative to what he inflicted)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: USGrant.jpg (145KB, 686x385px) Image search: [Google]
USGrant.jpg
145KB, 686x385px
>one of the lowest loss rates (relative to what he inflicted) of any commander in the war
>got the nickname "Unconditional Surrender" for his habit of capturing entire armies, which no other commander managed (he did it 3 times)
>unfazed by Lee's hyper-aggressive tactics, doggedly pursued and eventually outmaneuvered him
I don't even know what people think could've been done better. The Overland Campaign was costly yeah, he misjudged Cold Harbor, but he backed Lee into a corner, then managed to sneak around him and would've taken Petersburg and Richmond in June of 1864 if Baldy Smith hadn't fucked up his orders. As it was he still ensured the eventual Confederate defeat, and after the 10 month siege he finished the job cleanly. And his overall strategy was highly effective. Plus, he pulled it off while drunk half the time (if you believe rumors spread by his rivals) which counts for something.

Not saying Lee wasn't a great leader who deserves a lot of the veneration he gets, he kept the Confederate cause alive far longer than it would've gone otherwise. (A fact which I'm sure caused him some very mixed feelings after the war.) And his army was far weaker by early 1864 than it had been earlier in the war, with lesser commanders, though the soldiers themselves were grizzled veterans and had an edge on the green Union kids, in addition to the advantage of being on defense. But I'd rate Grant just as highly as a commander, he saw the situation very clearly, didn't fuck up and took the initiative, what more can you ask for?

He also kicked the Jews out of the area he commanded in 1862 for doing illegal trading lol
>>
>>3171975
Grant's legacy takes a hit because his was straight blasted for most of his presidency
nobody doubts his military prowess
>>
>>3172002
He got duped by a bunch of charlatans yeah but he did good stuff too. Equal rights amendments, did his best to nip KKK in the bud without coming down hard on the entire south, etc. All in all things could have gone a lot worse.
>>
>>3172039
i wish Sherman entered the political realm, he would have cleaned house
>>
>>3171975
Grant gets a lot of unjustifiable crap, but it's in part because he was a middling tactician. His strength was strategy; at that, he was unparalleled, and was one of the few to understand how to actually win the war. Undeniably one of the greatest generals in American history.
>>
>>3172261
He would've burned the house down
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.