[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Historical setting for game suggestion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Hello /his/

I got a friend working on a historical game similar to Mount and Blade and I need your advice. He and his team are still brainstorming and he is looking for an interesting historical setting. He watched game of thrones and really liked how all the men at the wall were left for themselves in a unforgiving wilderness. He also liked how they all got along, even though they were in for very different reasons.

He specifically asked me if there were similar real life instances like these and the time period favored would be between the 15th and 17h century (which are also rarely depicted in games). He wants to be historical (with a few changes for gameplay) with the main focus being survival, establishing contact with locals, trading and exploring.

I already had a few examples like

>New France
>Conquistadores and the new world
>The various portuguese trading posts along Africa and India
>Russian Cossaks

Trouble is I know about these events but not in details, like how many were they, what was day to day life etc...

Any suggestions?
>>
>>3169765
tell him to get a real job
>>
>>3169785
He does actually. It's a side project
>>
>>3169765
Just release it in early Alpha and figure it out within five years or so. Then you can abandon it
>>
>>3169765
I never see alternate history games set in a world where France wins the napoleonic wars (somehow defeats both britain and Russia)
For all you examples, there will be a book somewhere that a historian has covered in extensive detail.
>>
>>3169765

You should go to /tg/, they used to have good historic threads.
>>
Did you actually play M&B? There are good mods similar to what you mentioned, With Fire and Sword is Cossack-based and Carribean Blood & Gold is set in colonial Carribean.

I strongly suggest that you look up on Thirty Year's War and try to make something out of it. It was a huge European conflict with numerous great powers involved, numerous great battles, great historical figures like Richeleu and Gustav Adolphus. But for some insane reason it almost never is an actual setting in historical games. I don't even think 30 years war games even exist.

If your friend could make it good it would be a very unique and interesting game. Hope that helps.
>>
>>3169765
>with the main focus being survival, establishing contact with locals, trading and exploring.

do the great game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Game
https://www.amazon.com/Tournament-Shadows-Great-Empire-Central/dp/0465045766
>>
>>3169765
Some tips.
1. Do not deal with 15 century. Its full of lie.
2. 16 century - age of city states. Do not belive in bs about Spanish or Portugese state expeditions, it was mostly private actions with some activity of cities. Many characters like "Drake" or "Magellan" were not existed.
3. Carribean icelands of 16 centuries were mostly free pirate city states.
4. Europeans met non-primeval societies in Mexica, India and China but they were so bad that Latin states collapsed and Europeans became main part of Indian-Chinese-Japanese high classes.
>>
>>3169867
OP here. Yes I did play Mount and Blade for a long time. Carabbean bllod and gold is good but his vision is more orientated towards exploring/surviving. He told me that you wouldn't have a map and you would have to have a cartographer to draw you the map as you explore the uncharted territories. 30 year war is an amazing setting but I think the scope is too large for his team at the moment
>>
>>3169765
>Poland and Lithuania's war with Teutonic Order
>Bohemia during Hussite wars
>Italian city states during renessance
>Ottoman conquest of the Balkans
>Germany during Thirty Years War
>Richelieu's France
>England during civil war
>Ireland during Cromwell's crusade
>Cossack rebellion in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
>Swedish deludge in Poland
>Russian conquest of Siberia
>Berber pirates on Medditerranean sea
>Mexico during Cortez's Conquista
>Peru during Pizzaro's conquista
>Sengoku period Japan
>Ming China
>Mughal India
>North America during French and Indian war
>>
>>3169908
Excellent post. Exploring Siberia sounds awesome with travelling between kreposts
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.