[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do westerners practice Buddhism properly?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 2288197_orig.jpg (115KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
2288197_orig.jpg
115KB, 960x540px
Do westerners practice Buddhism properly?
>>
No, Nihilism is a joke.
>>
>>3168177
That cunny in the middle is asian not western.
>>
Dat loli in the back.
>>
Honestly as a cultural buddhist, I can't really say that westerners aren't doing it right since all we do is practice ancestor worship and do rituals whilst worshipping Buddhist Gods. Maybe it's just because my parents generation stopped believing and are just practising it now until their own parents die but it's less of a belief and more about our identity and culture and since this generation is assimilating even more into western culture even that isn't important anymore.
Without the supernatural element of Buddhism though, it just seems kind of pointless to me since buddhism becomes more of an ancient form of psychology/psychiatrist and I find it hard to believe that some guy 2000+ years ago without any supernatural insights would know more about mental disorders than modern scientists.
>>
>>3168177
To most of them it's not a worldview but just another trendy product they could consume in our global capitalist era.
>>
>>3168214
it's comments like this that cause all of this websites problems.
>>
File: _87949150_031149426-1.jpg (28KB, 624x415px) Image search: [Google]
_87949150_031149426-1.jpg
28KB, 624x415px
>>3168177
Probably no worse than chinks with their million and one deities or Thais with their superstitious good luck dolls.
>>
>>3168299
Its what makes 4chan so special <3
>>
>>3168177
Yes, which makes you realise how empty buddhism is.
>>
>>3168255

Buddha was just a visionary as far as calming the mind and finding the Buddha within himself. Without all that chaos going on in the mind of a man of that era, he was able to have deep insights on the psychology of him self, and the dysfunctional sociology of his surroundings. I have an opinion quite the contrary to yours desu, I feel the mysticism and the worship defeats the purpose of Buddhism to the point where it can be categorized no differently than Christianity or Judaism and the likes.
Buddhism is about finding the Buddha within you, in my opinion, and clearing the mind of illusion. It empowers the self and removes the subservience of other religions.
>>
>>3168177

I just came back from Thailand and I can conclude that at least these easterners do not.
>>
>>3168551

Why? Theravada can be quite strikingly unlike western conceptions of buddhism I suppose.
>>
>>3168540
buddhism is about despairing indian peasants ensuring they never come back to this hell ever again
>>
sure. westerners were practising buddhism long before it ever reached east asia.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.