[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about Brian Boru

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: PepeBoru.png (129KB, 1304x630px) Image search: [Google]
PepeBoru.png
129KB, 1304x630px
>>
File: vvzgx2J_d.jpg (71KB, 640x394px) Image search: [Google]
vvzgx2J_d.jpg
71KB, 640x394px
He gave the Vikings a hard auld time so he did
>>
>>3166516
some old literal who whose life work collapsed once he got gutted down by vikings
>>
>>3166547
Its funny because the viking that killed Brian was literally gutted by Brians brother and Brian got killed after the Battle of Clontarf. So i wouldnt say his life work collapsed.
>>
>>3167688
Mate, it collapsed.

Unless you're implying Ireland remained united under one Irish ruler. Pro tip: it didn't
>>
>>3167688
it doesn't matter if that viking got killed in the end, because it all fell apart the second brian kicked the bucket. he left no lasting legacy behind, because ireland became just as fractured as it was before him
>>
>>3166516
>>3166545
>>3166547
>>3167688
>>3168721
>>3169163

Brian Boru was a bitch boy compared to Máel Sechnaill Mac Domnaill.

The truth is that Ireland is an incredible hard place to unite and centralise due to a majority of the wealth being cattle and thus being hugely mobile and THUS the regular system of "lock down the wealth in area X with a castle and give that castle to lord Y to serve under king Z" didn't really work.

Brian Boru was an interesting figure as he is arguably the one who came closest to bringing together Ireland under collective rule. Ulster was the only province that didn't recognise the fact that he was chief bitch, as Ulster (as they always were) held some of the fiercest Irish warriors.

Máel Mórda "I love Viking cock" mac Murchada hated Boru, and when he and an Ulstershit went for Brian, Brian and Máel Sechnaill buddy-copped to push his shit in.

Clontarf is known to have been an extremely bloody and brutal fight, and many hail it as the definitive end to Norse dickery over Ireland.
The REAL end to it however was the Battle of Tara which happened beforehand, where Máel Sechnaill fucked the dublin norse in the ass.

Brian Boru is an interesting character but even he never managed to truly tame the chiefs of Ireland who-as history has proven-are literally the most annoying bunch of cunts to have as vassals on the planet.
>>
>>3169427
>Máel Mórda "I love Viking cock" mac Murchada
kek
>>
>>3169427
This. It's fucking rediculous how the battle of Clontarf is depicted as some victory over the vikings, when it was against a King of Dublin who employed an auxiliary from somewhere in Scotland. It's like if we said The Battle of Berlin was significant because it finally put an end to French incursions to Russia, and the French got blown the fuck out there.
>>
>>3170139
The other thing is that it wasn't even ending Norse "occupation" of Ireland. Norse settlers in the various settlements they had up and down leinster inter-married and were assimilated into the Irish population.

Yes conflicts did exist, but it hit a point where the norse shitters may as well have just been seen as yet another group in Ireland vying for more power.
>>
>>3170139
A lot of it has to do with the Ua Briain dynasty wanting to make him seem like a way bigger deal than he actually was, especially because they never quite gave up on Brian's ambition to be unchallenged King's of Ireland. The Cogadh Gáedhel re Gallaibh calls Brian "the Augustus of the North", which is a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>3170193
They never even acted as a coherent force, and perfectly happy to fight each other for their alliance by marriage to the Gaels.

Irish history is a lot like Chinese history. Successive invasions by foreigners, encounter superior Gaelic civilization, and submit and are absorbed into it. Even the Ulstershits will do it eventually.
>>
>>3170230
That and 19th century Irish historians wanted himas an inspiration for future risings, and the Republic wanted to turn the Battle of Clontarf to a prefiguring of the Easter Rising.
>>
>>3166516
brian shitu<máel<sigtrygg silkbeard
>>
>>3170633
>sigtrygg silkbeard

Sigtrygg "vowels are for gays" Silkbeard got his shit pushed in by Máel.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.