[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the public as ignorant about History as some of us assumed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: 1497488263957.jpg (92KB, 800x999px) Image search: [Google]
1497488263957.jpg
92KB, 800x999px
Is the public as ignorant about History as some of us assumed?
>>
People are generally ignorant of most things. I mean, what do you know about something as vital as cooking? You know the difference between hollandaise and bearnaise sause?
>>
yes, even more so than i originally assumed
>>
>>3165589

I met someone who didn't know who Stalin was.
>>
>>3165589
Absolutely. Can't tell you the number of people who think Japan is near England.
>>
>>3165612

fine craft to food isn't important, food serves a function, if it's safe to eat, and is palatable, then it's succeeded, there really isn't any ignorance to cooking
>>
>>3166266
That is beyond being ignorant, that's actual fucking retardation.
>>
>>3166266

I have never heard anyone express this belief
>>
>>3165589
Well where do you draw the line of being ignorant? I like history but I'm no historian and I couldn't tell you specific details about this or that event, because I don't need to know those things.
>>
>>3166294
Not him, but I draw the line at being a complete braindead retard about history. I once met a girl who couldn't tell me who George Washington was. The real kicker was that she was active duty in the U.S. military.
>>
>>3165661
Not too uncommon from what I've seen, especially in America. I've also met multiple people who had no idea what Mein Kampf was, nor what country Adolf Hitler was the leader of.
>>
Most people don't even know Adolf Hitler was NOT actually german they just have some very very basic cursory understanding
>>
Most people don't even know Adolf Hitler was NOT actually german they just have some very very basic cursory understanding

They probably haven't even gone on a wiki binge before cos "uhh that's pretty weird anon"
>>
Just take a look at the current economic situation as an example. Yes, people ignore history.
>>
>>3166335

that information is not really of any importance to the 21st century
>>
>>3166347
Austrians are German even though their national identity is separate.

Hitler never saw himself as Austrian, just as German.
>>
File: 1487103119727.jpg (28KB, 540x527px) Image search: [Google]
1487103119727.jpg
28KB, 540x527px
>>3166354
>>
>>3166363

austrians are closer to what germans were, rather than a mishmosh
>>
>>3166266
that is geography, not history
>>
Yes, the average person knows basically nothing about history but they don't really need to
>>
>>3166448
Why not?
>>
>>3166452
History doesn`t pay your bread
>>
>>3166552
Neither does a lot of things, but it's important to be educated about the course of human history.
>>
>>3165612
>Uses for an example of the importance of cooking something totally useless to know
>>
>>3166563
Not that anon, but most people don't care about anything that doesn't bring money to their pockets. And even if they do, a lot of the time they chose to ignore it to pursue something that does bring them money.

That doesn't mean it isn't important tho, but it isn't important on the short-term, which is (apparently) what most people care the most about. And admittedly, a lot of us who do like history, tend to focus too much on the long term and lose sight of the short-term.
>>
>>3165589
depends what you mean by the public really
some 'normies' so to speak have a sophomoric interest in history and at least have some knowledge of historical events
the worst have no sense of chronology whatsoever, seriously how many random 'normies' on the street do you think know that for example ancient egypt and islam did not exist simultaneously?
>>
>>3166849
I'll reckon most have never even stopped to think about it, and will just try to reason it out on the spot if you ask them.
>>
my friend thought Caesar was the general who razed Carthage, it took a long time for me to regain respect for him
>>
>>3167021
Eh the fact who knew what Carthage was is already above normie tier
>>
my friend thought Caesar was the general who razed Carthage, it took a long time for me to regain respect for him

>>3167024
he only knew what Carthage was because I mentioned it, he just knew that a city was razed and knew about the salt the fields meme
>>
I had a co-worker who thought we fought Hitler in the American Civil War.
>>
>>3165589
Yes. They are totally ignorant and subject to a political lens on history.
>>
>>3165613
>yes, even more so than i originally assumed
>>
>>3166335
I had an ex who thought Mein Kamph was called 'Mind Works', she also unironically thought the sun was cold, needless to say I don't talk to her anymore
>>
>>3165589
>Is the public as ignorant about History as some of us assumed?
We need to recommend them some youtube channels, memes, and /pol/charts to get them up to our speed.
>>
>>3165589
Yes, I've met people who didn't know what the Cold War was. Even met one person who didn't know who lost in WW1.
>>
>>3166411
They're the same people.
>>
>>3168671

Germany itself should be divided into additional countries. It triggers my autism that Bavaria and Prussia are one country yet Austria gets to be special.
>>
That's why I keep one friend and a few online ones who do know history.
>>
I am very smart and those arou d me are really quite dumb!
>>
>>3168975
Finally someone that gets me!
>>
>>3165589
Well the public mostly learns history from high school.

So if they are ignorant it's the schools fault to a large degree.
>>
>>3165661
Aye, a former classmate asked who Stalin was. We're in Sweden too but girls have never really been that interested in learning, rather they parrot whatever the teacher is saying.
>>
>>3169035
>We're in Sweden too but girls have never really been that interested in learning, rather they parrot whatever the teacher is saying.

That is what learning is.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.