[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Historiography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: jose-honorio-rodrigues.jpg (25KB, 320x373px) Image search: [Google]
jose-honorio-rodrigues.jpg
25KB, 320x373px
So, I've been a little bit curious...As a history student, on college, we have this great focus on historiography. We read authors like Marc Bloch and Jacques Le Goff (brazilian academic base is really just a bunch of french authors,mainly Analles) and some brazilian historians like Ronaldo Vainfas and José Honório Rodrigues. How do you deal with historical method and historiography in your respective countries? What authors do you usually read? If not, have you ever heard of one of those?
>>
I'm Serbian and yes it's the same authors, Le Goff, Bloch, Duby, Braudel... Frenchmen all the way. Our Early Modern course professor also made us read quite a lot of Foucalt (notably Madness and Civilization).

One of the subjects that is particulary well studied here is Byzantology. George Ostrogorsky is an absolute must-read for anything Byzantine-related, you literally cannot pass without knowing him cover to cover. I'd also pick Dimitry Obolensky and his masterpiece The Byzantine Commonwealth. Russian Byzantology is generally top-tier, would recommend Russian authors to anyone who wants to study Byzantines.

We've also read a lot from J.B. Bury regarding ancient Greece and Rome.
>>
>>3161085
We pass hastily by the Byzantine Empire and Rashidun Caliphate (which we call Islamic State) in Medieval History. Mainly, we focus on Runciman while studying the Byzantine Empire. What about serbian history? Any historian that is treated as a must-read?
>>
>>3161085
Also, in Early modern History we see Tzvetan Todorov, Carlo Ginzburg and Pierre Chaunu. Most of Early Modern Historyy we focus on America and Brazil, apart from Europe.
>>
I'm Brazilian too and I've dropped out of history college because at the time I've found all that historiographic stuff and the Annales School boring.

Only now I'm starting to appreciate it. For all the talk about Brazilian academia being Marxist-dominated, I remember having teachers talking about historians like Reinhart Koselleck and Johan Huizinga, but I was too young and dumb to appreciate it.
>>
>>3161261
Do you study Byzantines as a part of one big Medieval course? Here's it's a separate subject and we also have another special course that emphasises solely on Byzantine social/cultural history (thank you Annales School.)
When it comes to Byzantology one of our most prominent historians is Radivoj Radić. He wrote some pretty cool stuff regarding everyday life in Byzantium, very fun to read.

As for modern-day history, one of my favorite authors is Dubravka Stojanović.

Are there any good Brazilian historians for the Early Modern Period, particularly for Age of Discovery, colonization and such?
>>3161307
Interesting, i'll check those guys. Here Early Modern course is basically split between Western Europe and the Ottomans, and what's left is filled with some basic info on Americas. Which is bad IMO since it heavily neglects them.
>>
>>3161346
Yeah, that bullshit about "marxist dominated brazilian-Academia" is nonsense. The History teacher (or historian) is cast in a terrible light because he is seen as a social saboteur and marxist revolutionary, which is a load of crap. This is a vision from the Military Dictatorship era, and we still insist on the error. We have a lot of talented professionals that are completely underrated because of the "marxist historian" myth. Although one marxist influenced deeply our view on Colonial Brazil, namely Caio Prado Jr. By the way, I've not seen Koselleck, but Huizinga appeared as a suggestion by my Medieval teacher, and since then I've loved him.
>>
>>3161367
It's kinda hard for us to see the Ottoman Empire. Actually, we have 2 medieval courses. In my college, there is Medieval I and Medieval II. Medieval I is mainly concerned with Western Europe, and Medieval II is concerned with Eastern Europe,but we only study Byzantine Empire and Rashidun Caliphate. That's most, if not all, what we see about the East in all of the graduation.

Also,in Early Modern Brazil we have 3 authors considered classical: Gilberto Freyre (famous for his luso-tropicalism), Sérgio Buarque de Holanda and Caio Prado Jr. Also, we see a little bit of Leslie Bethell, and a more contemporary historian which is kinda used for that cronology is Ronaldo Vainfas,which works with brazilian inquisition. Also, it's understandable that America is neglected over Europe, I've heard that it is a common practice in Portugal as well,although they colonized us.
>>
File: 1500508496576.jpg (23KB, 482x453px) Image search: [Google]
1500508496576.jpg
23KB, 482x453px
>>3161413
Interesting, thanks. We also have 2 Medieval courses but they study "early" and "late" middle ages and just attempt to fit both Western and Eastern Europe inside one big two-semester course. It's kinda annoying when you study Medieval France or Spain and then bam, the next topic you're covering is Hungary.
>Gilberto Freyre (famous for his luso-tropicalism), Sérgio Buarque de Holanda and Caio Prado Jr. Also, we see a little bit of Leslie Bethell, and a more contemporary historian which is kinda used for that cronology is Ronaldo Vainfas,which works with brazilian inquisition.
Awesome, thanks!
>>
>>3161453
Initially I thought it was chronological too,but both of our Medieval courses are in the same semester. Curiously, we don't see a lot fo Iberian Medieval History, and mainly focus on Medieval France (which is kind of surreal). So we don't get to see that period in later years. And thank you for your recommendations too!
>>
>>3161346 Here

I'm rereading some of my old college assignments now, it's been 10 years and it's cringy as fuck how dumb I was. I feel bad for the professor who had to read all the bullshit I wrote.

From the reviews I wrote in Medieval history class, we worked with historians like Ferdinand Lot (Late Antiquity), Lambert Gerber (Early Medieval England), Steven Runciman (Byzantine history) and Edward Atiyah (Arab history).

I also wrote two essays, one about the Norse invasion of the British Isles (inspired by reading Bernard Cornwell), and other about the political uses of the Prester John legend (inspired by reading Baudolino)

I wish I went to college with the mentality I have now instead of what I had at the time, on the other hand I don't regret dropping out too much because if I kept studying history I would end up becoming a school teacher and this is a shitty job here.
>>
>>3161557
Oh, and by the way, these reviews were not of whole books, I rarely read whole books during college, only individual chapters that professors assigned and we had to buy copies.

I wonder if this is normal worldwide or if Brazilian academia is just that lazy.
>>
>>3161557
When studying arab history, I've seen a lot of Bernard Lewis. Didn't see vikings, though. Passed way too fast by it, like the magyars. In Medieval I I've seen basically Jérôme Baschet and some primary sources, like King Alfonso X's Siete Partidas.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.