[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate how I feel under pressure to do millions of things at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
I hate how I feel under pressure to do millions of things at the same time in millions of different ways. But one of those things is reading. I hate how you're told by the pseudo intellectual masses that you have to read shitloads of "classic" books and are forced to claim you found them entertaining and filled with "profound psychological and philosophical insights".

Firstly, books and reading books all the way through (in contrast with reading as a means to an end, e.g., reading a physics equation) no longer even encompass the huge majority of intellectual activity. 1000 years ago you would be known as a huge genius if you were literate, read the bible, and made up your own 5000 page segment of unfalsifiable theology where you try to work out whether god approves of lightly salted pretzels. These days we have the bullshitty, unfalsifiable philosophising strands of intellectual activity. We also have programming, mathematics, chemistry, and many other things. Stop telling me that reading books all the way through is the only way to be intelligent or do intelligent things.

Stop pretending that the huge, huge majority of books can't be summarised. I hate how "erudition" is praised and I'm threatened with exile if I don't constantly read. It's ironic how erudition is praised by people who love seeming like curmudgeons who want to live back in Ancient Greek or Roman or Medieval times "when scholars weren't so narrowly focused and could grasp the complexities of life, in contrast with out simplistic scientists and so called intellectuals these days, such as Stephen Hawking". Of course it's ironic because erudition is like aspiring to be a really fucking dumb and basic computer database. Beep boop! There are 27 moons of Saturn! Did you know Proust's third novel had 27 deaths? Did you know the Ancient Macedonians worshipped 729 types of cat-like Gods and 729 is 27^2? What's that, you want me to use the information in a non-trivial manner? I'm just a database. Boop beep!
>>
This isn't just non-fiction, it's also fiction where the pseuds are out in full force. Fiction was most likely originally written for fun. These days, "fun" and "enjoyment" are dirty words for the pseudo-intellectuals. All the classic novels are supposedly filled with "profound psychological and philosophical insights". Novels these days are supposed to facilitate an English professor's activity of making unfalsifiable, post hoc inferences or playing spot the allusion. Even though everyone today is supposedly too stupid to know what a good novel is, every surviving novel ("which stood the test of time" supposedly) first had to survive by having some measure of popularity in its own time, where everyone had an IQ of 200.

You can't just call something boring these days and stop reading it. You have to claim that the author's understanding of Sanskrit linguistics as applied to the design of chewing gum wrappers was deficient.
>>
t. Brainlet
>>
>>3159056
tl:dr i'm a lazy fuck who can't read 10 pages let alone a book

If you want to just post things out of your ass without being properly informed on the subject so be it, just don't pretend your opinion has any value
>>
>>3159056
sounds like you got a mad inferiority complex going. relax.
>>
If you won't read classical literaturs because it's too tiring why should I read that insanely long ramblings of yours?
>>
>>3159955

I don't band together with big business, big academia, and big media and brainwash the pleb masses in to pressuring you with social exclusion and ridicule if you don't read through the whole thing and claim to enjoy it and claim it's a work of genius.
>>
>>3159984
What percentage of the people in big business, big academia and big media have ever read say... Charmides? What percentage of them know who Plotinus was?

There are not many people who read the Classics.
>>
Reading great volumes, written by intelligent people is just one way of getting "some perspective" in life. It is a great way to explore new and maybe controversial ideas that you yourself would never have thougt of. Integrating these ideas into your own being helps you get more tolerant and critical-thinking.

Just MY opinion
>>
>>3159056
>read Plato
>everything is absurdly obvious
>walk away with zero new insight into anything
Lol
>>
>OP so analdevastated by somebody telling them to read a book that they write a 500 word spergout on the history board
lmao @ ur lyf
>>
>>3159066
>>3159071
>>3159078
he has a point. you guys aren't even trying to provide a counterargument, all you care about is belittling him for having another perspective on learning. Just go to /lit/ and you'll see what he's talking about. It's full of pseuds policing people over their ability to finish a book or not or shitting on others for not reading this or that author because /lit/ happens to approve of it.
>>
>>3159056
>>3159058
since you say you don't need to read those books I don't need to read your posts

it's only fair
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.