[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What led to the rise of feudalism? Was it related to the way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: german.jpg (142KB, 535x760px) Image search: [Google]
german.jpg
142KB, 535x760px
What led to the rise of feudalism? Was it related to the way German tribes administrated themselves in their native territories? Or did it rise naturally from the socio-economic situation of post-roman Western Europe?
>>
>>3158361
>What led to the rise of feudalism? Was it related to the way German tribes administrated themselves in their native territories? Or did it rise naturally from the socio-economic situation of post-roman Western Europe?
Both.
>>
>>3158787
What was Germania like during the iron-age? I mean, something a bit more detailed than "nigger mudhuts'.
>>
>>3158361
massive concentration of wealth and the partial drying up of the vast slave trade of the past.
>>
>>3158361
It was created basically by the romans in the late years of the empire
>>
>>3158361
>Was it related to the way German tribes administrated themselves in their native territories?
Depends.
In west, it largely formed by Germanics. Frankish kings would give lands to their soldiers, creating feudal vassal system.
In Eastern Europe, However, it took different path. It began when Diocletian, iirc, attached slaves to land, giving them private properties and liberties, creating serfdom. It was quickly copied by nations of "Byzantine commonwealth", like Georgians, Bulgarians, etc and later, by Russians.
>>
>>3158361
It's a very complicated issue. For starters, what do you mean by feudalism? Because historians have spent quite a lot of time debating what is and what isn't feudalism. Almost nobody considers feudalism to start in the times of the fall of the West (although signs of proto-feudalism start even before).

Lacking time to write something more insightful, I'll just say that of the things you mention both were important. But you forgot another key cause which is the unability by the western european monarchies before the end of the first milennium to establish a strong central power. When it emerges feudalism is a deal between a weak central government and strong (but not strong enough) warlords to confirm a situation of decentralization and give a bit more legitimacy to both parts.
>>
>>3158361
Germanics /=/ Germans

get that through your thick skull
>>
File: Colonate.jpg (235KB, 1401x657px) Image search: [Google]
Colonate.jpg
235KB, 1401x657px
>>3158361
In the late imperial period everybody whose work involved the Bread Dole had their job made hereditary with no option for leaving it. So agricultural workers, sailors, bakers, etc were all required by the state to work to keep the dependent populations in the capital from starving and killing everybody.
>>
>>3158876
You're probably talking about what I'm gonna call Colonate, for I can't find a serious english translation right now (Kolonat or similar in all slavic languages I know, Colonato in italian and I guess spanish). It happened both in the east and the west and it's arguably more important than any germanic addition for the creation of proto-feudalism (although classic feudalism cannot be understood without the germanic rule in the west). When Diocletian ruled, the west was still under control of the romans. All diocletianic reforms apply to the west. Same for Constantinian legislation, also important in this subject of proto-feudalism. Remember that germanic monarchies didn't build their kingdoms from scratch and that there's a extreme continuity in the West after the fall of the empire there.
>>
>>3158916
Oh, apparently my half-assed translation of colonato was correct.
>>
>>3158893
>what do you mean by feudalism?

Talking about the medieval system where kings would give away land ownership titles to people, tho admittedly i'm a bit ignorant of anything past that. I was fairly sure it was common in all of Europe tho.
>>
>>3158796
Nigger mudhuts decorated with severed heads
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.