[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crops

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: wheat-original_605[1].jpg (176KB, 605x403px) Image search: [Google]
wheat-original_605[1].jpg
176KB, 605x403px
What exactly does this mean in historic context?

People always refer to how crops were breakthroughs or huge leaps for certain societies but they never say what exactly it was they were growing to eat, how was it processed, seeds sourced etc.

For example what the fuck were they growing in the Chinappas of the Aztec empire?
>>
Crops generally means rice, wheat, etc. A staple crop containing lots of nutrients you can eat a lot and steadily farm.

Aztecs had maize and corn.
>>
Mostly corn.

Staple crops varied by region. In Northern China it was barley, in Southern China it was rice, in Egypt and Mesopotamia it was mostly grain, and obviously the Incans loved potatoes.
>>
>>3155763
Maize and corn are the same thing lol
>>
File: gMOKnNX.png (85KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
gMOKnNX.png
85KB, 300x300px
>>3155810
Does this exclude one or the other?
>>
>>3155767
>Southern China it was rice
>rice.jpg
And how would one harvest this thing and manage to get rice?
or even know it was rice in the first place and then get the seeds or however it grew and cultivate it.

All this was probably common knowledge back then, it's pretty sad that I don't know and most normies dont even think about it.
>>
>>3155810

Nope. In Europe "corn" is a generic term for any kind of grassy crop, fields of wheat and maize and even rice paddies can be termed as "corn" there. Only in America is maize a synonym for corn.
>>
>>3155855
probably because euros just don't know what corn is. americans meanwhile have firsthand experience
>>
>>3155883
>>3155810
troll
>>
>>3155751
They used three sisters method. Beans, squash and maize. They also grew cotton for cloth.
>>
>>3155831
Most of the time, people would start by foraging wild edibles, and gradually realize

>if I stick more of these in the ground, I'll have more to eat
>>
Crops that were uniquely suited to the environment were productivity breakthroughs. For example potatoes were resistant against cold and therefore could be planted to have another food for harvest.
Rice when introduced to southern China allowed for a massive population increase because the crop was suited to the wet marshy environment. Barley was more resistant to cold, but could feed less people per input.
Same difference between barley and wheats, wheats required good quality land or it had low output while barley could be planted in marginal land with good results
>>
>>3155751
Any grain product. Grains can be easily stored for long periods time without spoilage and cooked almost instantly.
>>
It's grass that produces seeds.
>>
>>3155831
>find plant with seed
>seed is edible
>collect lots of seeds from group of plants and eat them
>move plants to your village for ease
>over time figure out how to make them grow better
Its very simple
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.