[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shahnameh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

I wish they would make just one good video game or film that is aesthetically true to the spirit of the Shahnameh.

I think it has to do with how much propaganda is spread of Iran and the present blinds them to the country's history. They think it's just another Arab country, when they don't even speak Arabic. I noticed whenever anything favorable is spoken of the country, they call it Persia, and anything negative it's called Iran. But they don't know it's been called Iran since Sassanian empire. Aesthetically, Shahnameh is more like Celtic and Norse epics than it is like the Arabian Nights
>>
>>3155304
>Aesthetically, Shahnameh isn't like the One Thousand and One Nights
They literally share characters though
>>
>>3155314
Ok, doesn't mean aesthetically they are the same. Most of the Shahnameh takes place in the land of Tur, roughly corresponding to northern parts of Central Asia which are more green. Stuff like dragons, chivalry, divine glory of kings, and such are prevalent in the Shahnameh, and it resembles Arthurian legends more, especially Rostam's 7 Trials.
>>
>>3155304
For a movie, a videogame or even a tv series you would need to cut it and just take a story. Rostam and Sohrab would make for a good movie for example, specially if they manage to deal with the fact that the reader knows that Sohrab is Rostam's son and this would be a bit boring for modern viewers.
>>
>>3155374
I think the story of Fereydun smiting Zahhāk is the best. Zahhāk is basically an evil king who lusts for brains because snakes grew from his shoulders. Eventually he transforms into an evil, black dragon.

"Ahriman now took another guise, and presented himself to Zahhāk as a marvellous cook. After he had presented Zahhāk with many days of sumptuous feasts (introducing meat to the formerly vegetarian human cuisine), Zahhāk was willing to give Ahriman whatever he wanted. Ahriman merely asked to kiss Zahhāk on his two shoulders. Zahhāk permitted this; but when Ahriman had touched his lips to Zahhāk's shoulders, he immediately vanished. At once, two black snakes grew out of Zahhāk's shoulders. They could not be surgically removed, for as soon as one snake-head had been cut off, another took its place.

Ahriman now appeared to Zahhāk in the form of a skilled physician. He counselled Zahhāk that the only remedy was to let the snakes remain on his shoulders, and sate their hunger by supplying them with human brains for food every day otherwise the snakes will feed on his own.

From a psychological point of view the snakes on Zahak's shoulders could represent his lust for killing or a form of sadism which if left unsatisfied would torment Zahak. Also when Zahak is defeated by Fereydun, he cannot think of a better fitting punishment than to simply bound him in cave where the snakes (not being fed) will eat Zahak's own brain symbolizing his inner agony and unsatisfied homicidal lust."
>>
>>3155304
>They

Just say Americans. That's just Americans being retarded. And the funny thing is, when they try to fix their ignorance they end up more ignorant.

>would make just one good video game or film that is aesthetically true to the spirit of the Shahnameh.

Assuming aesthetics is not subjective, why should Americans (or Westerners in general) be expected to talk about countries . It shouldn't be expected of Americans or other Westerners to adapt the Mahabharata or anything else. It's not part of their history or was part of their imaginative history.

Arabian Nights is different because it's been sought by orientalist and, since it's a compilation of many stories in many settings, it's easier to captivate a Westerner. For people, an unfamiliar world with a not too specific setting is more attractive.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.