[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Auspicious Incident

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

>Autocratic leader trying to consolidate power
>Establishes a more modern and well trained army
>The old elite military force has a long and honorable history but has become corrupt and unreliable
>Leader manipulates the elite force to rebel
>Burns down their headquarters
>Issues orders for governors across the empire to hunt them down
Was this the Ottoman Order 66?
>>
>>3152797
idk man its just how it goes. A powerful faction for centuries will become entrenched in the fabric of the society. I think the Jannisarys were controlling the court and various successions at times? I mean ffs Egypt was called the Malalukes for a bit which was a military faction exactly like the Janissarys at one point
>>
>>3152797

Pretty much order 66 exactly.

However there's a couple things.

For one, the Janissary uprising was primarily put down by Sipahis. The western-style army the Sultan wanted was only in it's planning phase. Indeed, it's the existance of the plan that caused the Janissaries to rebel. Sipahis and Janissaries hated each other for centuries, with the Janissaries drawing power from their dominance of the court, and Sipahis from being traditional landed aristocracy.

Mahmud II simply used the existing rivalry and the power of the Sipahis to end the Janissaries for good. Then he also abolished the Sipahi system as well in favor of western-style professional cavalry. However, the Sipahis didn't chimp out; the older Sipahis retired to their land while the younger joined the new Cavalry corp as officers.

So in Star Wars terms, it would be as if the Sith was an opposite and equal to the Jedi, and themselves openly playing a key role in Republic Institutions.
>>
File: 1499021131611.gif (2MB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
1499021131611.gif
2MB, 356x200px
Could a kind /his/torian give me a quick rundown on the key players, factions, and chain of events?
>>
>>3152965
The sultan finally killed off one of the reasons the ottomans declined for so long with the help of the landed aristocratic cavalry and the artillery corps.
Many sultans before tried this but some even lost their heads for trying that's how bad things went.
While the jannisaries were at most 10k strong in te ottoman golden age there were like 5 times the number of that during the decline aside from that they got the right to marry,own land and higher wages/pensiona by threatening the sultan.
Basically what was an elite force became an undisciplined mob and after suleiman there weren't any strong sultans left to keep the in check.
>>
>>3152797
you forgot the part where the sultan bombarded the jannisary barrack with artillery from the top of a mosque OP
>>
>>3153300
So basically, the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire decided to eradicate the Jannissaries due to their corruption and abuse, as well as so that he could adopt new military doctrines inspired by those in the West?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.