[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How exactly did people in the early 20th century conceive of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: The_Lost_Weekend_poster.jpg (94KB, 300x442px) Image search: [Google]
The_Lost_Weekend_poster.jpg
94KB, 300x442px
How exactly did people in the early 20th century conceive of homosexuality?

I ask because of how strangely some of the nomenclature about it from the time reads; for instance, a 1945 New York Times review of the film The Lost Weekend refers to the protagonist's homosexuality as "an unconscious indecision in his own masculine libido".
>>
>>3151280

I suspect it was closer to how we conceive of it today when we would probably suspect. The medical / psychological establishment considered it an abberration and a mental illness along the lines of what your quote describes. Religious conservativism was more common and widespread and they obviously frowned on it. The law frowned on them as well. But a lot of your common, run of the mill people were probably mostly indifferent. People had gay friends and relatives and they knew, and didn't really care. Rejection by families was probably more common compared to rejection by friends and obviously it was more common then today.

I think in hollywood it was accepted, in the upper classes it was accepted, at least in europe, and in european cities like paris it was in the open and accepted at least in bohemian areas. In weimar era berlin it was common plaec and accepted
>>
>>3152438
>I suspect it was closer to how we conceive of it today when we would probably suspect.

*then we would probably expect
>>
>>3151280
Many like Cole Porter and Leonard Bernstein were gay but took beards as wives. That was the average outlook. That it was a mental illness that could be cured by taking a wife or not caring about it. Gays weren't really out in the open back then.
>>3152438
Europe nor Weimar Germany were as accepting to gays as you seem to believe. America wasn't either though.
>>
Basically Freud gave all the shit elements of society an excuse to psychoanalyze whatever elements of society they didn't like. Thus, everything became unconscious this libido that childhood childhood childhood. You don't actually -know- what you're sexually attracted you, you just think you know! It's an illusion! I say it is, so it must be true!

You see these same tactics on this board today. Freud gives worthless armchairs the power to guess at anybody's personality - disregard if they get anything right.
>>
>>3152509
Are you implying Freud turned everyone gay? Also the quote from the OP isn't psychoanalyzing anything because the character is outright gay in the book.
>>
>>3152521
>Guy who hasn't read the book detected.
He's literally that guy who had the one gay experience in college and never wanted to do that shit again. This is evidenced by the main plot of his fucking GIRLFRIEND trying to curb his alcoholism.
>>
>>3152531
The point of the alcoholism was that he was using it to cover up the fact he actually did want to do it again.
>>
>>3152557
No, the alcoholism is to cower away from his anxieties about being a writer, which is why be builds the mental divide between "Don the author" and "Don the drunk". It's why his alcoholic episodes are invariably triggered by exposure to cultural events. You haven't fucking read the book, because this would be obvious on even the most basic skim. Why the hell are you pretending?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.