[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about Tartessos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: tar2.jpg (65KB, 1197x840px) Image search: [Google]
tar2.jpg
65KB, 1197x840px
Tell me about Tartessos
>>
>>3148961
Nobody cared where it was until it gone off the map
>>
>>3148961
It was mistaken with Tarshish (Tarsus) in Cilicia
>>
Why do some bibles translate it as Spain?
>>
>>3149603
Because it was in modern Spain.
It probably was the place Carthage conquered and later Hannibal ruled and launched his invasion from.
>>
>>3149619
Tarshish was never in Spain, it referred to Tarsus which was a really old city in South Eastern Anatolia, the Semitic word TRSS indicated an area rich of silver, and in fact TRSS designates cities/areas near the richest silver deposits of the Mediterranean: Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, TRSS, a city/place in Sardinia, mentioned in the Nora stone, the oldest Phoenician document found in the W.Mediterranean, and finally Tartessos, probably a broad region in Spain under Phoenician influence, an actual city was never found in South Western Spain apart from the Phoenician colonies of Huelva and Gadir, which don't sound anything like Tartessos or Tarshsih.

Herodotus' account, which was what later Roman sources used to talk about Tartessos (which didn't exist during Roman times), is unreliable and probably the result of different accounts of Greeks sailors visiting non Greek areas west of Magna Graecia, in most cases it probably referred to the Phoenicized area of South Western Iberia, in others though it seems to refer to Sardinia, since the king of Tartessus, Argantonius, was said to have granted the Greeks the right to settle in Corsica
>>
It was a big city
>>
>>3151001
Not really considering it wasn't even a city
>>
>>3151281
You ruined the joke
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.