[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How fucked would our global civilization be if over night it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1482789060626.jpg (78KB, 708x864px) Image search: [Google]
1482789060626.jpg
78KB, 708x864px
How fucked would our global civilization be if over night it became completely impossible for humans to knowingly tell a lie?

Do you think this would end with a net benefit or net loss for human societies?

Picture unrelated
>>
>>3141857
I'd be fucked, especially when I meet my mom and dad.
>>
>>3141857
It would be a staggering, enormous benefit. There would be a period of initial chaos, but then humanity would most likely leap forward in a tremendous burst of progress.
>>
Language itself would be stunted
>>
>>3142084
A lot of lies are beneficial for all parties.
>>
>>3141857
The more macropolitical parts maybe would improve, but everyday interactions between humans would suddenly be nearly impossible.
>>
>>3141857
What is a lie and what is true?
Lets say you think this woman is fat and you say that. But her friend thinks she is not and he says that. Who lies and who tells the truth?

Another example - a dictator who makes lives of people in his country unbearable, but who believes that he does good. Is it a lie when he says that he does nothing wrong to those people?
>>
>>3142182
A lie is very specifically something you don't believe is truth but stand for anyway. It only exists when you create it.
>>
>>3142191
Then people will learn to believe in their lies (what they already extensively do) and the point of op will be, hehe, pointless.
>>
>>3142200
Yes, when a lie is very important people just learn to believe it. Even IRL it's important because when you know you are lying you always give certain indications, and this can be a death sentence if you are a politician or something like that.

So OP's scenario would only make day to day interactions of normal people a lot worst.
>>
>>3142182
Saying A when it's non-A
Saying non-A when it's A
>>
>>3142223
Ok, do I say it is A when it is non-A or non-A when it is A when I say:
"Damn, this song is really good"?
>>
>>3142237
Do you know that it isn't good?
>>
>>3142155
Lies are comforting mediocrity. Truth and directness allow great things to happen rapidly.
>>
>>3141857
Lets start with money, the entire world's financial system is based on a lie, money is worthless.

So that's gone in a week.
>>
>>3142155
I can agree with that, but in OP's world view those preconceptions would wildly change, sure you can say and is true that if you tell someone the harsh truth their brain won't answer with their rational side and will effectively shut their mind, but I think the world would gradually accept.

On the other side, people might be afraid to speak up, they could still filter the truth to make it true from a certain point of view or convince themselves.
>>
Then you wouldn't be able to communicate anything at all because there are no objective truths.
>>
well as it stands now, the human mind is so programmed to afford biases, that we will literally drive ourselves insane in order to hold on to false views and reject truthful statements that contradict them

so in a world without lying, people would do deliberate autobrainwashing to believe lies thus becoming able to tell them

kind of like the current cognitive dissonance we do now, but more extreme
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.