[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about Turcopoles in Byzantine Empire. What were they?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Turcopole.jpg (56KB, 720x616px) Image search: [Google]
Turcopole.jpg
56KB, 720x616px
Tell me about Turcopoles in Byzantine Empire. What were they? Were they Turks? If yes then why would they be christian?
>>
They were basically half Greek, half Oghuz Turks that served Byzantine Empire. For some reasons some Turks converted to Christianity and married Greeks there, Turcopole literally means "son of turk" in Greek language.
>Why would they be Christian
I think Turks were not religious. Some of them could even be pagan (Considering the very recent conversion of Oghuz Turks to Islam and Seljuks being descended from Khazar/Nestorian people)
>>
>>3141786
Oh and meaning of Turcopole was different in crusader states. Turcopole meant either christian arab cavalry or just light european cavalry (they didn't even have to be Turks or half Turk)
>>
>>3141786
>>3141804
Interesting
Thank you!
>>
>>3141772
The term originally meant "son of a Turk", but not in any swearing manner (not like "son of a bitch"). They were stereotypically of mixed Greek and Turkish parentage and Christian.
>>
>>3141786
>Seljuks being descended from Khazar/Nestorian people)

To expand on that, Seljuq, the founder of the dynasty named his sons Mikail (Michael), Isrâîl (Israel), Mûsâ (Moses), and Yûnus (Jonah). The last two could be Muslim, but the first two indicate a Christian or Jewish faith pretty strongly.
>>
>>3144972
>but the first two indicate a Christian or Jewish faith pretty strongly.

not really. you do realise that israel and archangel michael are pretty big in islam
>>
>>3144845
The Greeks, as far as i know, called Half-Turkic Half Greek muslims in Anatolia "mixovarvaroi" which means "mixed barbarians"
pretty rude to be honest.
>>
>>3144989
Israel literally means he who wrestles with god (allah)
no muslim would use that name. it's literally same as Abd-Al-Uzza
>>
>>3145019
invading and repopulating territory is p rude tbf
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.