[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fill me in on Old Believers. How do they differ and how dank are they?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Fill me in on Old Believers. How do they differ and how dank are they?
>>
>>3137964
>gulag fodder
>>
>>3137964
from my understanding is that the russians started practicing some christian rituals the wrong way, the church decided to fix that, some of the people thought changing their rituals is blasphemy so they broke off and became "old believers"
>>
>>3138090
Pretty much this, but one Patriarch of Moscow (Nikon) took it way too far and killed a few people before the Church fired him, so the Old Believers feel justified, despite the Church itself trying to be conciliatory about the whole thing.
>>
>>3138090

Nonsense, the Old Believers are like the sedevacantist Catholics, they have preserved the older Orthodox rituals as they were before being changed by the OrthodoxChurch.
>>
>>3138090
>>3137964

>Later research was to vindicate the [Old Believer] service-books as belonging to a different Greek recension from that which was used by the Greeks at the time of Nikon. The unrevised books proved to be older than the current Greek books, which had been revised over the centuries, were newer, and contained innovations

Tl;dr- Orthodox Patriarch finds differences between Greek and Russian practise, assumes the Russians have innovated, pushed thru reforms to copy the Greeks, has those who stick to the old ways anathematised and persecuted, all the time it was the GREEKS who had innovated and the Old Believers who are following the original rites.
>>
A BULLET IN THE HEAD FOR EVERY PAGAN LARPER
>>
>>3139084
>old believer
>pagan
off yourself burger
>>
>>3138177
hmmm, interesting

either way it's a pretty dumb argument

same with the whole calendar nonsense, just adopt the new fucking calendar already and stop with the pointless confusions
>>
>>3138153
>the Old Believers are like the sedevacantist Catholics

Not really, since the old rites are still practised in the Catholic Church alongside the new ones. Since the 19th century some Old Believers have come back into communion with the Eastern Orthodox Church.
>>
>>3137964

A whole town's worth of 'em somehow managed to wind up in Alaska (a century AFTER Russia sold it to the United States).

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/a-17th-century-russian-community-living-in-21st-century-alaska/275440/
>>
>>3139282
Alaska also has a shitload of Orthodox. Most native Americans there are Orthodox and the state is 10% Orthodox.
>>
>>3139324
what da fuggg
>>
I walked in on an Old Believer funeral in Moscow by accident, very interesting experience.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.