[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steppe Niggery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4473.jpg (67KB, 531x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4473.jpg
67KB, 531x720px
How close did horse archers have to loose for it to hit the target?

I've seen lots of modern horsemen (like Lajos Kassai) come only few meter from the target before engaging.
>>
>>3133147
Few meters is plenty, you can hit and they can't hit back.
Though I imagine it was a further distance instead.
>>
>>3133147
The Mongols were taught to ride horse and hit moving targets from childhood. So they had expert archers and expert riders in all ranks. I think there are some records of events being held by Genghis Khan to show off their best archers who were able to hit some 300 meter target.
>>
>>3133147
Generally, you're aiming at a mass of bodies so all you have to be is precise or get the range right.

Not saying they can't into marksmanship tho

>I've seen lots of modern horsemen (like Lajos Kassai) come only few meter from the target before engaging.
You now know why gun-wielding civilizations were such a death sentence to this culture.
>>
>>3133220
Was it on horse or on foot? Impressive nonetheless.

>>3133171
>>3133235
I see. What if they engaged heavily armoured archers?
>>
>>3133263
At that distance the arrow can pierce anyways.
>>
File: Persian Battle Line.jpg (236KB, 2226x778px) Image search: [Google]
Persian Battle Line.jpg
236KB, 2226x778px
>>3133263
Nah even regular foot archers alone worried Steppe-nomads.

Hence settled civilizations fighting steppenigs tend to field loads of archers and ranged combatants, working in concert with infantry to protect them and cavalry of their own to give them chase.

Horseguys weren't all invincible man.
>>
>>3133279
They were only invincible against retarded groups who didn't have any discipline. Against those cavalry knights who would try to chase the mongols into the dense forests and leave their infantry to the second mongol cavalry group. LOL. Those "muh honor" knights got led to their death and left their infantry to their deaths.
>>
>>3133285
Nah their main advantage was mobility and the ability to raid your people's ass while you get shit organized to meet them.

When people did manage to corner them in a pitched battle, Steppenig advantage is suddenly muted.
>>
>>3133279
hahahaha nigga how is infantry dangerous hahaha nigga just go around hahahah like nigga just go raid settlements
>>
>>3133263
I misread that wrong, it was 535 meter, not 300 meter (335 alds was the mongol unit used). It was recorded in an old steel inscription. There were other stories contesting other people being able to hit 500m mark as well.

Most likely its done on ground or on stationary horse.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.