[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

University, studying history.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: hmmmmmm.gif (613KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmmm.gif
613KB, 498x498px
>History is a hobby. Study something useful, anon, like engineering or natural sciences so you can be a twitching spastic like me.

Are these the same people who make posts asking what race the X culture was?
>>
Why do you think so?
>>
yes, also they believe popular history is the high end of this science
>>
File: 1500285943960.jpg (120KB, 311x376px) Image search: [Google]
1500285943960.jpg
120KB, 311x376px
Feel free and spend 60,000 USD so you can work at a Starbucks. No sheepskin off my STEM degree
>>
File: confused.png (22KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
confused.png
22KB, 612x491px
>>3132975
>everyone on /his/ is an obese american like me
>>
>>3132955
Making a post like "were the egyptians X race" is just about the plebiest post you could make on this board. It's the kind of thing I would expect from someone who says they view "history" as a hobby when they get all their knowledge of it from Total War.
>>
>>3132954
Iam sorry but what do you get from studying history that you can't get from other courses who are more likely to give you a job? Apart from knowledge of history ofc
>>
>>3132954
STEM degrees aren't somehow magically better than other degrees. My buddy got an engineering degree and had to work in sales for years before he could actually use his degree, and apparently that's quite common.
>>
>>3133461
This. Don't fall for the STEM meme. Only certain STEM fields are thriving at the moment. Pure sciences are similar to a lot of humanities in that you have to go higher than a bachelor's to get a decent job.

t.biochemist
>>
>>3133438
I took Philosophy and I have encountered the same kind of question as well about the usefulness of the degree in relation to a job or a career. You can obviously argue this is idealistic wishful thinking and dismiss it as damage control but I see studying something like philosophy or history as beneficial for life overall instead of just a career. I would rather be able to think critically and communicate my thoughts in an intelligible manner than be specialized in a singular field that leads directly into a job. There were some higher level classes I took where the prof actually had to schedule specific classes to teach how to write an essay because some people had gotten that far in school without knowing how to. I knew guys who were in other programs, doing well, and were smart but seemingly could barely read and couldn't carry a conversation about any subject other than what they were studying.

So sure knowing specific dates, historical figures, and events may not directly lead to a job, however it will establish vital reading and writing skills, critical thinking, and articulation of thoughts, themes, and ideas. Everyone has heard the various quotes about the value of learning from the past and understanding history, not because it will help your professional career but because it will inform your life, your interaction with others, and your understanding of the world and politics. So as I mentioned at the start studying history can be useful for everyday interaction and life as opposed to studying and working in an overly specialized field.
>>
>>3133744
>>3133461
>>3133438
Other than learning some of the math and science you'll need some kind of background on in order to do your STEM job anyway, the degrees are really quite worthless. You'll discard a ton of what you studied and you'll still need to be trained to learn how to do your specific job anyway. If you want to talk about direct applicability of everything you studied to do what you do in the job field, I don't find STEM graduates to be on any better footing than liberal arts grads. It's just that it's depressingly easy to get a liberal arts degree, largely due to politics but economics are also involved. The reality of the commoditization of college education spans both realms anyway. And there are some seriously dumb fucks graduating in STEM fields. Not to get political, but since he's a prominent and recognizable figure, look at Ben Carson. By all accounts really good at what he does, but generally he's an ignoramus. Education is something YOU achieve, and college can merely help you with that by providing resources and (ideally, though not always actually) qualified critics to challenge your thinking, writing and research processes.

Literally the only thing I got out of it was access to high-quality libraries and a handful of decent professors who helped me stop being a dumb shit about certain things.
>>
Current undergrad studying philosophy:

Most job recruiters/career advisors I've brought up the meme "can't get a job with a humanities degree" have whole-heartedly disagreed with me because of our ability to communicate. Granted they are biased, I'm certain, but they agreed that while STEM's have an easy foot in the door right out of undergrad, they struggle to rise within their field because of being pigeon-holed into just programming, or numbers and won't be able to really articulate their ideas. So the humanities have a struggle, but can cast a wide net to find a job and work their way up. I'm sure there are outliers but this is simply the majority of opinions I've heard.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.