[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything unique about Western Civilization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: school of athens.jpg (117KB, 700x457px) Image search: [Google]
school of athens.jpg
117KB, 700x457px
that allowed it to dominate.

Was it simply the result of geographical and historical situations/contexts, decline of China, the decline of the Arabic world etc.

or was their something unique about western culture, European culture that played a role in the success of the west?
>>
Maybe something that lead to empiricism, the scientific revolution, and then the industrial revolution, but if these things were unique to western civilization 2-300 years ago, they sure aren't unique now, which is why we are seeing the rise of the rest and the beginnings of a multipolar world
>>
Not sure how he's viewed here but niall ferguson discusses why in his documentary Civilisation.
>>
The University

their were "learning institutions" in other cultures, but the University as we know of it today has its origins in Medieval Europe, particularly Italy

this played a role in finding many people with great potential and talent then ever before
>>
>>3131707
There is a strong humanistic tradition and a racionalist spirit with it that seen's to be only present in Western values in general. I don't see anything in the likes from other places.
>>
The Enlightenment and Classical Greek Philosophy.
>>
>>3131707
Domesticated animals, mild climate, lots of war, lots of luck
>>
>>3131707
inclusive institutions
>>
>>3131743
didn't sub saharian africa have its own philosophical traditions as well?
>>
>>3131707
Lots of division and war. War pushes technology foward. Europe has never been united. It's been in constant war since we met the neanderthals.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.