[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you rationally convince yourself to do anything?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1494810142134.jpg (212KB, 681x768px) Image search: [Google]
1494810142134.jpg
212KB, 681x768px
Assuming you have all of your material needs met forever and there is no objective system of values, how do you *logically* convince yourself to do anything but sit on your ass all day?

posting here since it's sort of a philosophy question
>>
its an advice question, so take it to >>>/adv/
>>
embrace ubermensch virtues
>>
>>3130650

no it's not, it's a legitimate philosophical question; why do anything if there is no objective system of value?

and i already tried /adv/ several times, they only had normie platitudes and not actual arguments, so i figured I'd try here.

>>3130666

how and why
>>
>>3130675
>im not asking for advice, i just asked for advice and didnt like what i got
maybe if you answer the question of why you're trying to kid yourself here, you'll be closer to bieng able to get stuff done

there's your advice, now if you want more go back to >>>/adv/
>>
>>3130643
In my experience you can rationalize everything up to a point where you're aware of what the right thing to do for yourself is but it has zero effect on how you feel.

So if you feel like sitting around and doing nothing, then no amount of rationalization will make that feeling go away, you literally have to force yourself into action.
>>
>>3130643
You don't. It's called retirement.
>>
>>3130643
>how do you *logically* convince
Rationlizations are generally after-the-fact, so if you will be sitting on your ass all day anyway you´re more likelly to rationalize on why this is the correct course of action, or if oyu want to do something else you´ll rationalize accordingly.
>>
>everyone desires freedom from suffering and the attainment of happiness
>i am one person
>there are billions of people and sentient beings
>i am no more important than anyone else
>in agrigate others are billions of times more important than i am
>therefore i should get up off my ass every day and work to reduce others' suffering and make them happy
>since all those who are happy are only so because of their desire for the happiness of others, in working so i will achieve my own happiness and be free from suffering

this was the logical argument formulated by santideva in the 8th century
>>
>>3130690

not an argument, and this post abides by board rules, so i guess you'll just have to suffer.

>>3130691

yeah i figured people just turn their brains off and "just do it" without logical justification, i don't personally seem to have that ability, i was just hoping to somehow find a rational way out of this.

>>3130695

ok.

>>3130705

ok, what is your rationalization for doing something else?

>>3130720

i mean that is at least an argument, i don't think that would make me personally happy since due to a shitty life i kind of hate pretty much everyone (really not trying to be edgy, i just have actual issues) and the thought of helping them brings me basal level revulsion, but thank you for at least taking the question seriously, i'll have to think more about that.
>>
>>3130759

>i mean that is at least an argument, i don't think that would make me personally happy since due to a shitty life i kind of hate pretty much everyone (really not trying to be edgy, i just have actual issues) and the thought of helping them brings me basal level revulsion, but thank you for at least taking the question seriously, i'll have to think more about that.

you're welcome. what about other living beings, like animals or plants? do you like pets or any wild animals, or birds, or anything like that? maybe you could do something to help them out. i know it would be very fulfilling and fun. or even just observe them, i love going bird watching in nature with no one else around and identifying all the strange, beautiful creatures. or maybe you could plant a nice garden and watch the things grow, and then eat the fruits of your labour. after all, voltaire did say:
>We must cultivate our own garden. When man was put in the garden of Eden he was put there so that he should work, which proves that man was not born to rest.
>>
>>3130759
>yeah i figured people just turn their brains off and "just do it" without logical justification, i don't personally seem to have that ability, i was just hoping to somehow find a rational way out of this.

your problem isn't philosophical it's medical you're probably just depressed

how would the existece of objective values even make a difference? would you still be asking the same questions?for exampe, "why should I care about the objective values? I didn't pick them, they are not relevant to me, why should I care about them? why should I follwo them?"

the issue here is your lack of motivation, and feelings of pleasure in life. it's not a philosophical issue
>>
I do what I feel like doing.
>>
>>3130643
if you cannot argue against it try sitting on your ass all day and see where that goes

possibly you will feel like doing something instead
>>
>>3130643
i have pure passion for art, video games, and sucking dick. What else do I need to rationalise doing these things?
>>
File: 124537-004-1CC6CE8C.jpg (21KB, 375x450px) Image search: [Google]
124537-004-1CC6CE8C.jpg
21KB, 375x450px
logic alone can't answer every question. It's irrational thinking that makes anything worth doing by giving it subjective value. It's like Hume said, reason is and ought to be the slave of passion.
>>
>>3132863

same

>>3132886

that's what i've been doing for several years, hasn't happened yet.

i'll try to write a longer response to others in a bit
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.