[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are we our atoms or our emergent property of consciousness?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: iu[1].jpg (265KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
265KB, 1024x768px
I dabbled in religion as a kid, but fell into apostasy and eventually atheism as a teen when my local religious authority decided to just lash out at me when I got curious and started asking questions about my faith. (Protestants: Never again).

I've been wondering about the nature of consciousness and somewhat constructing my own faith system as of late, but it is dependent on "us" as human minds being monistically linked to our atoms and not some emergent metaphysical property.

>Universe is infinite within its own domain (conservationally cannot be annihilated, only transformed)
>We are all under the illusion that we are an independent spectator of the universe and not a part of it experiencing itself.
>There is thus no birth or death in the sense of one's personal creation or annihilation, we transform in and out of structures capable of introspection.

Is there a faith that follows along those lines somewhat?
>>
>emergent gobbledygook-nomenom
Half-assed materialism is still materialism.
>>
>>3130598
Idiots who just discovered psychedelic drugs? Seriously, your ideas are shit, read more.
>>
>>3130822
Which ideas? Read what? Why even post such a non-response?

>>3130614
Emergence doesn't try to post as non-materialism. I was asking if that means minds are just emergent patterns and can be considered concisely annihilated, unlike their physical substrate.
>>
>>3130598
>us" as human minds being monistically linked to our atoms and not some emergent metaphysical property.

whatever might be wrong with this?
I mean, I've seen threads on /sci/ with this topic devolve into a complete shitfets time and time again and I fail to understand how the fuck can people with STEM degrees have trouble accepting such a trivial thing and try their fucking hardest to do all kinds of mental gymnastics to push it into metaphysical corner, as if there was some kind of unwitting need to elevate oneself above a heap of dirt full of chemical reactions
why though?
>>
Approaching Terence Mckenna levels of new-age psuedo-scientific spirituality.
>>
>>3130859
>pseudo-science
>Literally just monist materialism

>>3130838
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, my thoughts on the matter actually cohere better with that being the case than there being a metaphysical reasoning.
>>
>>3130598
>Universe is infinite within its own domain
Well, something is either infinite or it isn't. 'infinite but with constraints' doesn't really make sense
>(conservationally cannot be annihilated,
What does this even mean?
>>We are all under the illusion that we are an independent spectator of the universe and not a part of it experiencing itself.
le we are the universe jacking itself off
>>There is thus no birth or death in the sense of one's personal creation or annihilation, we transform in and out of structures capable of introspection.
but how? when one dies, you would have to persist in some way in order to come back into existence again within a different body. Something would need to be persistent through that gap between separate lives. other wise the second life would have no relation to the first

closest thing I can think of to this is buddhism

regardless, atoms are just scientific unobservables used to explain and predict phenomena, they don't actually exist independent of mind
>>
>>3132765
Atoms are observable wat?
Also you seem to be implying some sort of dualism that keeps your sensation of you specific.
>>
>>3132765
What actually is the persistent essence in Buddhism? I've read a fair share of Buddhist literature and the most you get is that it is the pattern of dukkha or desire/suffering that persists. That or some anology about water and waves. Do they believe that desire as a will is like a spirit that continues after death or that desire is literally the fundamental essence? It's very confusing and as usual with eastern philosophy you have aphorisms instead of strong semantics.
>>
>>3130598
Posted this in the other conciousness thread:

Consciousness is the symptom of the soul. The body develops because of the souls presence and as sunlight maintains the entire universe, so the light of the soul maintains this material body. As soon as the spirit soul is out of the material body, the body begins to decompose, therefore it is the spiritual nature of the soul that maintains the inferior material nature. Any layman can understand that the material body minus consciousness is a dead body, and this consciousness cannot be revived by any means of material administration. Therefore, consciousness is not due to any amount of material combination, but to the spirit soul.
>>
Probably some crypto-Buddhist might be what your belief would match.

>There is thus no birth or death
no birth or death because no soul transmigrates or dies since they dont exist

>we are all under the illusion of independent self and not a part of it experiencing itself
Hinduism.

Yeah more Hinduism, probably Advaita HInduism (which is sometimes called crypto-Buddhist)
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.