[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a reason why daggers should have a guard? It seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Yoroi_doshi_tanto_Gassan_school.jpg (11KB, 300x139px) Image search: [Google]
Yoroi_doshi_tanto_Gassan_school.jpg
11KB, 300x139px
Is there a reason why daggers should have a guard?
It seems many Asians (including Indians) didn't seem to think so.
I guess in case you are in a closed quarters without a sword it can help but you're at a,loss of the person you're fighting has a weapon with more leverage anyway.
It only seems useful of you intend to dual another guy solely with daggers. perhaps Europeans have a larger history of that than Asians?
>>
Guards are made so that your hand doesn't slide onto the blade and cut you if you pierce flesh, not for blocking other blades.
>>
>>3126763
You haven't done fencing have you.

I'll bring up a codex in a sec.
>>
>>3126768
>fencing
>with daggers
I should have been more precise though, I meant guards on daggers only.
>>
>>3126763
Oh yeah, thats another reason but I'm sure it was both reasons. Hmm so were Asians just never worried about cutting their fingers on their daggers?
>>
>>3126787
So only dagger fencing? Or fencing with daggers?
>>
>>3126788
I'm honestly not sure.
Maybe they were held with a different grip? Or maybe it was just japanese autism about their weapons?
>>3126800
No I was saying that fencing has nothing to do with daggers, assuming that we're talking about the modern sport.
>>
>>3126832
I meant fencing as in the art of defence.

European daggers had large guards because they were used in conjunction with a rapier, against rapiers. It could displace a blow by lifting a thrust and ftwisting your wrist to push it away and go for a counter thrust.

Asians however never used thrust oriented weapons. Daggers were seldom used on the battlefield and when it was, they were often thrown as a distraction before coming for a strike.
>>
File: IMG_3984.png (3MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3984.png
3MB, 2048x1536px
>>3126832
>>
>>3126859
>>3126869
You are right, I forgot about defensive daggers.
>>
File: Kindjal_dagger.jpg (12KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
Kindjal_dagger.jpg
12KB, 250x187px
>>3126832
Not just the japs, alot of Indian daggers and some flip and Persian/central Asian ones as well.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesh-kabz
though I guess the fact many of them like the one in the link were curved daggers may have something to do with it?
>>
>>3126859
oh so,Jap knives were mostly used for throwing bit stabbing? What about the kaiken amd tanto though?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantō
>>
>>3126758
If you look at medieval daggers, many of them didn't have large quillions, those start to be common with companion daggers.
Bollock daggers and many baselards have a guard but quite a small one.

The dagger shown is for fighting in armor, so that having a guard isn't exactly crucial as your hands and arms should already be protected by gauntlets or the likes.

Of course, if your dagger is mainly used for parrying as it came to proeminence in 16th century Europe, you'll start to see knuckle-bows, large quillions and bell guards coming up.
>>
>>>/k/
>>
>>3126869

>POCKET KNIFE
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/k/34633543
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.