[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you become interested in /his/tory?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 68767984313256780.jpg (97KB, 720x360px) Image search: [Google]
68767984313256780.jpg
97KB, 720x360px
I was always mildly interested in history, but as I grew up I got too wrapped up in inane consumerist fiction.
Then one day, the lore just wasn't deep enough.
Fictional settings, with few notable exceptions, can be as wide as an ocean but are almost always an inch deep.
Not so with history. History is the deepest, dankest lore. From the original fiction that is mythology that influences ancient societies that our own are descended from, there is so much to learn, appreciate, speculate, and enjoy. There's so much to it I could spend the rest of my life happily learning about one subject, just one, and never have scratched the surface.
Besides, being able to relate the history of a civilization and culture to our own is a lot more interesting than mindlessly recalling the 27 times Iron Man fought Dr. Doom and the differences and similarities in their suit design technology, or explaining the cosmology of the fucking Elder Scrolls universe. Who cares what their tax policies are, do you know what your own government's tax policy is, and do you know how it is descended from the Roman or Ottoman taxation methods, which in turn come from rudimentary bronze age methods?
>>
File: 1499390133465.png (86KB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1499390133465.png
86KB, 1500x1200px
In school, we learnt about all the Ancient Cultures. I remember looking at the pictures of Lucy and Ashurbanipal Wrestling the lion. That's when I fell in love with History and Art History
>>
Playing Age of Empires II in 2nd grade
>>
>>3115395
Social studies in middle school and Rome Total War.
>>
Ironically OP, as a PhD candidate in History, I enjoy fantasy settings and world building far more.
Historical scholarship is tedious, full of doubts, ambiguities, biased sources and disputed scholarship. Not quite like the history of say Forgotten Realms, or the cultures in Malazan or the dynasties in Westeros. Fantasay is a complete puzzle while history is 5 distinct pieces of a 1000 piece work, and you try to guess how other pieces might be.
>>
Call me edgy if you like, but there was a 25~ page book about the 3rd Reich in my elementary school library full of AESTHETIC photos. This was my first step on the dark path to redpills and historical knowledge.
>>
>>3115420
>Historical scholarship is tedious, full of doubts, ambiguities, biased sources and disputed scholarship.
Yeah, I could see how it's a bit of a drag if you did it professionally, but I took it up as a hobby. I listen to podcasts and audiobooks at work, on commute, or fixing things around the house. Maybe someday I'll write like an armchair historian book on what I'm studying or do a podcast, maybe not, but I'm having fun with it; most likely because there is no pressure.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.