[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a problem. I feel like there's a need for spirituality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 10

File: Christ Raised Border.jpg (27KB, 219x317px) Image search: [Google]
Christ Raised Border.jpg
27KB, 219x317px
I have a problem. I feel like there's a need for spirituality within me, but I'm too rational. Faith is too much of a jump from atheism. What do I do?
>>
File: 1491422212319.jpg (105KB, 522x579px) Image search: [Google]
1491422212319.jpg
105KB, 522x579px
>>3115115
Grow up.

>but I'm too rational.
pic related
>>
File: 1500165858318.png (153KB, 300x338px) Image search: [Google]
1500165858318.png
153KB, 300x338px
Become one of those retarded Atheists who claim that you can be spiritual and rational at the same time, because life is all about lying in order to placate people.
>>
>>3115115
>I feel like there's a need for spirituality within me
So you're telling me that you're terrified of how meaningless the universe seems? That's perfectly normal once you've come to such a blindingly obvious conclusion.

Just embrace Absurdism and make the most of the little time that you have in your life. Alternatively you could follow existentialist philosophies such as Nietzche's, but it's entirely up to you.

Faith that some mysterious, paternalistic supreme being is going to save you, will do you more harm than good and you know that.
>>
>>3115115
Pathetic.
>when 4chan was created, it was mostly comprised of atheists
>around the turn of the decade, the fedora meme is born and 4chan users try desperatly to LARP as Christians and European Pagans to be contrarian to an increasingly atheistic society
Get some self-awareness. Stop trying to force yourself to believe something to ferl superior to fedora-wearing Redditors.
>>
>>3115121
>grow up
and then what?
>>
humble yourself, but not too much
faith is both joyful and terrible
>>
File: 1494737420009.png (131KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1494737420009.png
131KB, 500x400px
>>3115139
If it helps, it helps. Going to church once a week and thinking that you'll go to heaven when you die isn't going to hurt you if you actually believe it.
What are you going to do, be disappointed once your consciousness fades?
>>
>>3115170
>Going to church once a week
Why do that when you could take that time wasted and spend it on learning something
>>
It's a mistake to think spirituality has much to do with religion. Most religious people are not spiritual at all. This>>3115121 retard just tells himself he's religious because of a meme about hats. That couldn't be any more smallminded and pedestrian. In fact, these days religion opposes spirituality by forcing you to abuse the parts of your mind that know it's bullshit. Spirituality is looking at the world honestly from as many perspectives as possible, finding beauty in it, and transcending petty concerns.
>>
File: deusvult.jpg (129KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
deusvult.jpg
129KB, 1280x720px
>>3115144
The worst of them are Catholic LARPers who are just atheists who hate Islam by convention and play too much Crusader Kings.
>>
File: gnostics.png (186KB, 1220x890px) Image search: [Google]
gnostics.png
186KB, 1220x890px
>>3115115

>Christianity rational

wew lad

You should try gnostisicm instead. At least it fucking makes sense.
>>
File: 1496787252442.png (317KB, 449x443px) Image search: [Google]
1496787252442.png
317KB, 449x443px
>>3115188
It's an hour. You can't play one less hour of video games a week?
>>
>>3115170
Look, I don't know what your opinion is of Marx, but what he said about religion is true:

They are the "opium of the masses".

like >>3115188
said you're wasting hours each week listening to unverified, useless bullshit that only exists because people found it comforting.

The belief in a Christian afterlife is popular because the idea is so attractive; if you look at early Christian iconography you'll see that the crucifix is sidelined in favour of depictions of heaven.

The belief in this afterlife is a fucking narcotic, that stops you from achieving true greatness on your own terms. Instead of pursuing your ambitions you're just swallowing up pathetic slave morals.

You don't know what happens after you die, and nor does anyone; it could be hell, or the greatest gift given to mankind, or simply nothing. Just make the most of the life you have and hope for the best.

You clearly much better than this anon. You'll find more comfort with friends and family than you would in a church.
>>
>>3115115

Polytheistic and eastern faiths are very open and casual.

You can see it as purely psychological such as praying to certain god's to cultivate those certain traits within you, or you can see it as completely faith based. The line is blurry for eastern polytheistic like Hinduism.
>>
File: 1500175966488.jpg (71KB, 640x796px) Image search: [Google]
1500175966488.jpg
71KB, 640x796px
>>3115246
Here's the realest redpill, fellow: your Atheism is also an opiate, as is communism. Here you sit proselytizing your absolute truth on a cartoon image board, trying to persuade me that going to church on a Sunday for an hour is a bigger waste of time than shitposting on 4chan.
Your shallow moralizing won't work on me. I don't believe in God or Absolute morals.
What true greatness has your Atheism brought you, exactly?
How exactly did Michelangelo's faith hold him back from greatness?

Great men are great, and no Faith or lack thereof holds them back. You're just a peon doped up on your own self importance. Most people aren't Great, and no belief system makes them so. Most religious folk are content to work, eat, and sit about. The same goes for most atheists. Most Atheists aren't any greater than their religious peers.
>>
>>3115293
1) I'm not a communist
2) Atheism leads to depressed teens cutting themselves, it's hardly a fucking opiate. If anything, atheism leads to opiate use.
3) I just shat on morality, how the fuck was I moralising you. I said I was an absurdist, where did you get absolute truths from?
4) I'm not a great person, I can only aspire to be one, and I think believing in an afterlife hinders potential for a lot of people.
5) I can't speculate about what Michaelangelo might have done had he not been Christian.

>Great men are great, and no Faith or lack thereof holds them back
Total bullshit.

Wahhabism has had an incredibly detrimental effect on societal progress in the Middle East. Centuries before that, one of the reasons for the collapse of science in the Middle East was the rise of occasionalism, spread by Al Ghazali among others.

The decline of Christian Fundamentalism in Europe lead to the Enlightenment.

>Most religious folk are content to work, eat, and sit about. The same goes for most atheists. Most Atheists aren't any greater than their religious peers.
Most people are plebs, and I'm not a "peon".
>>
>>3115414
>wahhabism detrimental
>islam most populous and arguably faithful it has ever been
>grinding christian nations

From a muslim point of view, wahhabism is exactly what islam needed
>>
>>3115445
The opinions of Muslims are largely irrelevant.

>islam most populous and arguably faithful it has ever been
>grinding christian nations

This is what we call a self-perpetuating spiral of death, darkness and hatred.
>>
File: 1492317814448.png (246KB, 589x610px) Image search: [Google]
1492317814448.png
246KB, 589x610px
>>3115414
I didn't say you're a communist, just that it's an opiate of the masses, analogous to the Christian Heaven. The idea that hard work will lead you to a Worker's Paradise and so on.
I said your atheism. The Atheism that feeds its self righteousness by attempting to fell the religious, and mocking them.
You didn't shit on morals, you shit on Religious absurdities while touting your own moral code, trying to convert me with shallow platitudes like, "You clearly much better than this anon," and offering the sort comfort a church would with, "You'll find more comfort with friends and family than you would in a church." You're using evangelical rhetoric.
As for extremism, radicalism is the disease of man, not of religion. All the wickedness of religion is borne out of man. Man's evolutionary history selected those behaviors and they predate religion.
The Enlightenment was host to its own evils, as the French Revolution shows us. Blood drawn not in the name of Christ is blood drawn nonetheless.
Most people are plebs, you and I included. Peon.
Also, the notion of Progress or being held back is a laughable one. Man is man, hovel or space station, and once his day is done, no one will applaud him for how far he believed himself to come. Once your ashes lie cold and mingle with the dust, it will not matter how you lived.
Men die, and it really doesn't matter how, whether by antiquated barbarism or in the name of progress. Does the soviet slain in the fight for Man's progress hold any nobler place than the crusader who fought in the name of Christ?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.