[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Medieval Scotaland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

Why was it so cool?

>Sir Henry de Bohun (died 23 June 1314) was an English knight, the grandson of Humphrey de Bohun, 2nd Earl of Hereford. He was killed on the first day of the Battle of Bannockburn by Robert the Bruce. Riding in the vanguard of heavy cavalry, de Bohun caught sight of the Scottish king who was mounted on a small palfrey (ane gay palfray Li till and joly) armed only with a battle-axe. De Bohun lowered his lance and charged, but Bruce stood his ground. At the last moment Bruce manoeuvred his mount nimbly to one side, stood up in his stirrups and hit de Bohun so hard with his axe that he split his helmet and head in two. Despite the great risk the King had taken, he merely expressed regret that he had broken the shaft of his favourite axe
>>
File: IMG_1618.jpg (62KB, 500x349px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1618.jpg
62KB, 500x349px
Have a non lazy bump.

Interesting fact about Robert the Bruce: when he died his heart was embalmed and kept in a silver box. When Scots went off to war in future his heart was paraded before the troops to inspire them with the courage of the warrior king. The Braveheart so to speak. Braveheart is full of historical innacuracies but the glaring one is the title of the bloody film itself. ( it's as good as an American film, filmed in Ireland, starring an Australian set in medieval Scotland could realistically be.)

So pumped for this new Robert the Bruce film in the works currently. They were casting for Scottish men with beards in my city recently. Assuming your in Scotland it's in Melrose abbey and the box itself is in the national museum in Edinburgh.
>>
>>3109199
>scuckland
>cool

lmao

fucking slave race
>>
>Big Man James' Wacky Fiefdom
>>
>>3109643
t. dickhead
>>
>>3109199
>>3109601
I've heard the battle of Bannockburn was an amazing military feat. Do either of you know the play by play?
>>
>>3109601

The asking for beards thing has a few people worried. Unless they're going to shave most of the beards off, that's not what people on either side would look like. It's just going to be a big horde of unkempt hairy savages who just run at the English in a big mob...
>>
>>3110391
I remember reading about some battle in the Scottish wars of Independence where an incredibly eager contingent of highlanders showed up to aid the Scoto-Normans and charged the English and immediately got BTFO. They were described as fighting like it was still the iron age, wearing no armor and using wooden roundshields covered in cowhide. That might be a realistic depiction of them.
>>
>>3110849
Sounds pretty good.

I would have thought the English heavy foot would have had an advantage over spearmen though.

Also was the schiltron irl like it is in Medieval 2 total war?
>>
File: IMG_1619.jpg (152KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1619.jpg
152KB, 500x332px
>>3110369
The English cavalry vastly outnumbered the Scottish cavalry because a lot of the Scottish asristocracy has sided with England so Robert the Bruce had to make clever use of the Schiltron which was the medieval equivalent of the phalanx. Basically a big mass bristly pikes and spears. They were divided into three divisions and placed along the edges of the boggy Bannockburn stream where it was kind of horse shoe shaped.

When the section of the stram where king Roberts part of the army were defending was crossed by the English that is when OPs single combat story is supposed to have happened. The second group English cavalry to try and cross got absolutely BTFO and their aristocrat leaders were killed and/or captured. The English were extremely demoralised by the absolute catastrofuck of the first day. After all all Robert the Bruce had been humped about 7 times before. This was supposed to be easy

On the second day the English had crossed the stream in the night but again got BTFO by phalanxes. They tried to support their troops with bowmen but ended up firing into their own troops and had to stop. To quote Rorschach from the watchmen when he goes to jail "you think I'm stuck in here with you when really you're stuck in here with me!" The English army got sandwiched between bristly pike formations and boggy marsh and river land.

TL/DR :English got trapped by tactical use of phalanxes and the natural geography and conservative use of what little massively outnumbered cavalry Scotland did have.
>>
>>3110871
Never played medieval TW, Im a Rome man myself so I couldn't say.(on my to play list though.)

I'm not sure I assume it's more advantageous to be lighter on shitty marshy ground. Also it's really hard to get anywhere near a schiltron the spears were really bloody long the things looked hedgehogs of death. Somebody else more knowledgable could probably answer that. I only know about the tactics because I went to the bannockburn visitors centre a few years ago.

Another point I forgot to mention is that at the hey crossing points of the stream, the Scots had scattered big nasty caltrops big enough to fuck up horses as well as people.
>>
>>3110900
Best TW game imo

g2a has it for like 6aud

Thought it would be cheaper but if you still play Rome you'll love it

They sort of all group in a circle with spears sticking out. Got shields. Badness for horse
>>
File: IMG_1621.jpg (153KB, 600x274px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1621.jpg
153KB, 600x274px
>>3110923
I may well give it a bash since I have two months of neetdom ahesd of me. The Scottish schiltron didn't have shields. The first row would stand in the stance in related pic, while the back rows would stab and poke. I know they were all armed wth long knives too so that when cavalry men did go flying they would finish them off by stabbing them in the face or neck through the slits of their helmets. Apparently scots soldiers looting upper class English cavalry men mid battle was a common problem for the Scot's army. (Kek)
>>
>>3110956
Yeah its, interesting.

I mean the thing is that horses won't charge tightly packed men. Hence why square formations and shield walls worked.

From what I've read (Cornwall mainly) squares would get broken when a horse got close and got shot so would just smash into the square. But then a square formation could be devastated by artillery so the meta was to use cav to force square then shell the shit out of them.

Fun stuff
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.